The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Locking AWD (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44070)

theallpowerful 04-03-2008 10:23 AM

Locking AWD

Anyone ever eliminated this clutch system and just locked in your AWD? The car will not be driven much, ever.

nextse7en 04-03-2008 11:25 AM

I think that would be ill advised, unless the car will only be driven in a straight line.

Locking the mechanism would not allow any slippage between the front and rear differentials, at best, this would present issues while turning on dry pavement (extreme shuttering/binding, axle/cv/differential failure). At worst it would in all likelyhood cause a wreck on wet/slippery surfaces during cornering. Think of an uncontrolled awd drift at 60 on an on ramp.

-Patrick

lilbrudder 04-03-2008 11:30 AM

my duty C solinoid was bad keeping it locked in 50/50 awd, if thats what you're wondering, unhooking the duty C wire would lock it up.... however parking lots/driveways/u-turns are not very fun at all, as it hopped/binded in tight turns, it felt very bad for the drive terrain.

crazyhorse 04-03-2008 02:56 PM

You'll never get it to corner well with a solid 50/50 split. It'll push severely on turn in & snap loose on exit.
Knowing you want to run this SVX in the 24hrs of LeMons, I'd reccommend a 4.44 swap. Also a tranny cooler is a MUST. The 4EAT will not survive that kind of abuse without one. I don't know if you can fit that into your budget, but it's your best bet to make it to the finish line.

theallpowerful 04-03-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 538796)
You'll never get it to corner well with a solid 50/50 split. It'll push severely on turn in & snap loose on exit.
Knowing you want to run this SVX in the 24hrs of LeMons, I'd reccommend a 4.44 swap. Also a tranny cooler is a MUST. The 4EAT will not survive that kind of abuse without one. I don't know if you can fit that into your budget, but it's your best bet to make it to the finish line.

If the car doesnt receive "the people's curse" at the race, and get crushed, I plan on using it at SCCA rally events and at that point want to try a manual swap. That, on the other hand, is completely out of the question for the LeMons race. I have an trans cooler that I am going to install, and am thinking about a second. Luckily I am able to mount them in very conspicious locations (lots of air getting to them) that someone on the street would never do.

Now, where is this "Duty C solenoid" fuse? (if this works, it would be excellent for rally)

crazyhorse 04-03-2008 08:18 PM

Facing the front of the car, under the hood on the right behind the battery. There's a fusebox. The one you're looking for is labeled FWD. It takes a 15A fuse.

As fancy & fast as the SVX is, it's a shoo-in for the people's curse!

lilbrudder 04-04-2008 05:01 AM

the FWD fuse won't lock it in 50/50. it puts it in front wheel drive, for diagnostics. the duty C solinoid is in the tail end of the transmission housing, in the output shaft housing. it is kinda labor extensive, drain tranny, disconnect drive line, pull apart housing....PITA. there should be some other way to kill power to it, but it will require a bit of home work, try a search for "duty C"

SomethingElse 04-04-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theallpowerful (Post 538726)
Anyone ever eliminated this clutch system and just locked in your AWD? The car will not be driven much, ever.

Yes. Make it rear wheel drive. its a nice option for when your front diff explodes.

theallpowerful 04-07-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 538896)

As fancy & fast as the SVX is, it's a shoo-in for the people's curse!

I'm kinda afraid of that. Hopefully there will be some obvious ringers there.