The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   terrible noise - front diff? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3587)

lee 04-11-2002 07:36 PM

terrible noise - front diff?

Today, as I was leaving the grocery store I started hearing a terrible noise much like a very bad CV joint. Immediately pulled over. Note: there were no warnings or previous noises - I had been driving with windows down and stereo off.

With spouse driving it back and forth there is a loud periodic noise. This is not just in turning, it's also in a straight line - forward and reverse. I watched with the hood open and the whole engine assembly seems to jump when the click occurs. Have I toasted the front diff? It sounds like maybe I lost a tooth in a gear assembly (or like I said a VERY bad CV by sound alone).

It was only a couple of blocks so we pulled it home in neutral - noise still there, but not as loud as when under it's own power.

It's in the garage now and I can smell that distinctive differential lube smell. I'm really hating this. The tranny is only 18 months old, and is/was working perfectly - if it is the diff, does the tranny have to go as well?

help - advice, please.

tia, Lee

Green1995SVX 04-11-2002 07:44 PM

I remember Jeff Hall (everyshadeofblue) talking about what his fried front diff did, and thats about right. Thats the only help i can offer. Beav, or anyone else?

-Mike

alacrity024 04-11-2002 08:11 PM

I know that Jay (strange1something i think) is in the process of repairing his front diff. He's doing some of the work himself (pulling the mechanism out of the car) and leaving the rest to the shop and I seem to remember him saying that he was paying a few hundred dollars. your mileage may vary.. hang out in the chatroom if you want to talk to him. he usually lurks there during the day

-adam

Seraph 04-11-2002 08:23 PM

My 94 did that before it's diff and tranny went out. Start saving up your pennies. If it keeps dying, it will jump like you are riding a horse and will die leaving you on the side of the road. Have that check out soon.

Lwin

huck369 04-12-2002 05:59 AM

Re: terrible noise - front diff?

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Today, as I was leaving the grocery store I started hearing a terrible noise much like a very bad CV joint. Immediately pulled over. Note: there were no warnings or previous noises - I had been driving with windows down and stereo off.
It's in the garage now and I can smell that distinctive differential lube smell. I'm really hating this. The tranny is only 18 months old, and is/was working perfectly - if it is the diff, does the tranny have to go as well?

help - advice, please.

tia, Lee

Definitely sounds like the front diff, you need to check your tires, different diameter tires with trash the front diff faster than anything, just having the same size, doesn’t necessarily make them the same circumference. You need to take a tape and measure AROUND the center of the tread to get the Circumference, if there is more than ½” difference, you need to get matching tires. I had 2 different brand tires of the same size on my first Legacy, toasted the tranny (front Diff).
So at least check this out before you get it fixed, as it might save you another expensive repair.
A lesson I learned the hard way
:(