The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wheel Paint (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41924)

Dominus 11-18-2007 08:03 AM

Wheel Paint

I was thinking about sprucing up my stock wheels with some paint. Nothing flashy. I just want them to look closer to the way they originally did. what kind of paint should I use and how should I go about this?

Turbone 11-18-2007 08:44 AM

I've used Krylon before on alloys, it seems to work well.
Just make sure you prep the surface good, or the paint will not stick for long.

CorSVXette 11-18-2007 10:08 AM

I am no expert but I think the colors were a little different in the later years so the color would be different depending on the year of your car. There was a post on this network somewhere about what paint to use. Give it a search.

Mike621 11-18-2007 01:08 PM

Have the wheels sandblasted and painted the lighter silver color offered after 94. IF you want to go another color all together, try for a lighter than stock color rather than a darker color

Guyver280z 11-20-2007 11:16 AM

I used the Duplicolor Wheel paint... you can find it at AutoZone and im very happy with it... The paint doest fade or fall apart... its been almost a year since I did my wheels and they still look perfect.

http://photo.ringo.com/224/224030321RL337937699.jpg

I also did my friend's Impreza RS2.5 wheels from silver to gold and they look great... I used Krylon for outdoors metal and so far they still look great.

Dominus 11-24-2007 09:18 AM

Those look kind of dark, Guyver. Did you want them that dark?

ensteele 11-24-2007 10:07 AM

All you would have to do is use a lighter silver color. Those do look a little dark, but you could use a lighter color. :)

The thread that was mentioned before was on the wheel caps, not wheels. :)

SVX_MY_BABY 11-25-2007 06:05 PM

I repainted mine using a Jag colour. Liquid silver; Dupont automotive paint. Have had some favorable comments.
A few pics in my locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX_MY_BABY|44239

svxistentialist 11-25-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominus (Post 509466)
I was thinking about sprucing up my stock wheels with some paint. Nothing flashy. I just want them to look closer to the way they originally did. what kind of paint should I use and how should I go about this?

The info above is good for the type of paint. My info is more about the method.

[First, I do agree about going brighter with the silver paint. It will look better. Otherwise try and match the exact colour of the '92 wheels]

People expert at painting wheels will do a good job for you. A poor job is where the paint starts to peel and flake from the sharp edge either side of the 5 spokes.

Paint does not adhere to this edge very well. This is because when the spray gun is pointing in the direction of the sharp edge, the pressure tends to drive paint away from the sharp corner. This is true for all spray painting of edges.

A good spray paint shop will understand this, and compensate. One way is to haze on extra layers from a distance. Another way is to use an electrical charge so that paint is attracted to the edges or points, which tend to have higher polarity.

Whichever way you choose, get somebody who knows what the problem is to spray for you, otherwise it will flake away first winter.

Joe

crazyhorse 11-25-2007 06:32 PM

The key to getting paint to stick to sharp edges is multiple light coats. Of course that's the key to any spray job. Once the prep is done, the spray is pretty easy.

svxistentialist 11-25-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 511124)
The key to getting paint to stick to sharp edges is multiple light coats. Of course that's the key to any spray job. Once the prep is done, the spray is pretty easy.

Your post is totally in agreement with what I have said above. Spending the time to have the prep done properly will be negated if the person doing the spraying [possibly the person in post #1?] does not understand the problem with getting paint to stick on sharp edges.

For me, the real travesty is the fact that the OEM factory wheels, and you would expect them to be sprayed by robots or by expert painters, these wheels blister and flake back from these edges.

If the knowledgeable engineers and experts can't get it right, what chance has the amateur with a can of spray paint in his hand???

:eek::o

crazyhorse 11-25-2007 06:58 PM

I agree.
Honestly, the best way to go is powdercoating. That CAN be prohibitively expensive. If the original paint isn't flaking badly, the prep is pretty easy.
If my wheels need redone, I'll soak them in brake fluid, then just clearcoat the naked aluminum.

Guyver280z 11-26-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominus (Post 510938)
Those look kind of dark, Guyver. Did you want them that dark?

Oh yeah... I wanted gun metal.... not black but dark grey. They also sell the typical wheel silver.