The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   svx sounds diesel (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41597)

cruisen_15 10-29-2007 11:15 PM

svx sounds diesel

when i listen under the car near the belts and oil pan there is a loud knocking and it almost sounds like its diesel.... is this normal??

wawazat?? 10-30-2007 05:20 AM

No its not normal.

theflystyle 04-20-2013 09:50 AM

Re: svx sounds diesel

yes i know, an old thread bump....

i was looking to see if anyone else had a svx that sounded like a diesel when it was running. keep in mind this is my first svx but not my first boxer engine (H4 or H6) so i know what they typically sound like. comparing it to the videos on youtube i cant what is causing mine to sound as loud as it does.

here are some of the ones i found to compare

Idle video 1

idle video 2

i plan on taking a video of mine and posting it up here

jetboy 04-20-2013 01:05 PM

Mine sounds a little dieslish now. Mainly due to neglect, hope it will be creamy smooth again when the engine is pulled and overhauled.

Jake@FAPFab 04-20-2013 02:28 PM

the loud deep thumping is rod bearings that are quite worn from neglect slamming about...:mad:

bishop 04-20-2013 05:08 PM

I agree with Jake that its rod bearings but I also think its an oiling problem because my car only does it sometimes.

theflystyle 04-21-2013 08:23 AM

PO used mobile one synthetic 5w-30 and I followed with that since ive had the car. i dont recall a difference in the loudness after any changes however

oab_au 04-21-2013 05:19 PM

The harmonic balancer will make a loud knocking sound if it is not tight.

Harvey.

jetboy 04-22-2013 02:13 PM

I personally don't have anything I would call a rocking sound. Just a bit farm machinery like when I start up.

theflystyle 04-26-2013 12:42 PM

As promised, albeit a little late, the a video clip of my sound.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps8eae4c49.jpg

bishop 04-26-2013 01:48 PM

wow, that is much different than i imagined. Im torn though because something on that engine is messed up but at the same time diesel rumble is kinda cool.

Pull the timing covers, i wonder if theres a pulley in there thats going bad and rubbing something.

theflystyle 04-26-2013 03:12 PM

i would take a nice purr over that noise. the driver side timing cover is already somewhat cracked at the screw so who knows what it looks like back there.

Tapani 04-30-2013 12:27 PM

I just tried to listen very carefully mine. With an engineers stethoscope and w/o. Then did the same for the 2006 3.0R Outback. What a difference.

The 3.0R is silky smooth - there's not much anything but a constant whizz even with the stethoscope.... by far the loudest part is the power steering pump.

The EG33 sounds "harsh", not "wrong" to the ear - I can hear the individual injectors tick and some general rumble. With the stethoscope there's a whole cacophony of mechanical clicketi-clack... slight in the head castings, some more from the block... by far the loudest at the cylinder #6 (drivers side, rear) - right where the piston/cylinder is - a bit less at the block split joint. Very, very different from the EZ30R.

I need to replace my head gaskets and I am trying to decide whether to do the rod bearings while engine is out. Removing the pistons is a PITA and splitting the casings does expand the project quite a bit. 130kmiles, 5PSI turbo charged.

I have ever heard only one other SVX engine running and it did appear to run smoother on idle. Didn't pay much attention, though.

theflystyle: There are two different type sounds in yours... like a diesel injector/combustion sound - and then a single much lower knock - big end, burned valve?

Did you have your AC compressor running in the video?

Hmmm.....

Tapani

theflystyle 04-30-2013 05:17 PM

^ I fully agree with your comparison to the 3.0R. Night and day difference, sometimes I cant even tell its running at idle.

I did not have the AC running in the video, and that was after a 30 minute drive so the car was nice and warm. I am still getting some small drips of oil even after changing the valve covers. The headgasket was also recently changed and is not dripping as well. Its coming from further back :(

Huskymaniac 04-25-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 723559)
^ I fully agree with your comparison to the 3.0R. Night and day difference, sometimes I cant even tell its running at idle.

I did not have the AC running in the video, and that was after a 30 minute drive so the car was nice and warm. I am still getting some small drips of oil even after changing the valve covers. The headgasket was also recently changed and is not dripping as well. Its coming from further back :(

Mine sounds like that too after the headgaskets job. What did it turn out to be?