The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about Sea Foam Cleaning ASAP! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32537)

Crysis 04-07-2006 03:06 PM

Question about Sea Foam Cleaning ASAP!

I was told to use Sea Foam to clean out my engine, but I dont exactly know what to pour it in. A memeber said to pour about a third of it into the big vacuum line on the back of the intake duct, but there seems to be alot of vacuum lines. Also, he said to pour a third into the vacuum line thats hooked to the end of the driver sides of the intake duct, and again Im not sure which one this is. I am new to working on cars so i dont want to pour it into the wrong line. Any help? Pictures please.
P.S. respond as quickly ASAP because I have my hood popped in my driveway as we speak :) Thanks

Budfreak 04-07-2006 03:12 PM

PM sent:);)

drivemusicnow 04-07-2006 03:29 PM

the key with a vaccuum line...is they "suck" air to the vaccuum source. which just happens to be your intake manifold. So any line coming out of the intake manifold, will infact work. Be sure to change your oil after you do this. I'd change the spark plugs as well, but thats not as neccesary.

Manarius 04-07-2006 03:55 PM

I wouldn't run it through the vacuum lines. The Intake has a special coating on it that can be eaten away by SeaFoam. Would be better to pour it in through the PCV valve.

drivemusicnow 04-07-2006 08:28 PM

... Tech?

where did this special coating come from, and how was it determined that seafoam "eats away" at it... unless its carbon based that seems like some misinformation... however I may just not be informed.

Manarius 04-07-2006 08:57 PM

See link: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtop...=134493#134493

Myetball 04-07-2006 09:01 PM

There's not coating on our intake parts. I've got mine all apart right now. The only black coating is typical oil residue from crankcase air being recirculated.

Crysis 04-08-2006 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies...would it be a big deal if i didnt change my oil? I just changed my oil about 500 or so miles ago so I wasnt planning on getting another til 3000 miles.

Budfreak 04-08-2006 02:39 PM

Any vacuum line will NOT work. There are a few that only go to one side of the intake. The key is to use a vacuum line for that feeds boths sides of the engine. Hence, The reason you use the IAC line as it will clean the IAC and BOTH sides of the intake. You also should use the cold start line for some sea foam to clean the cold start valve.;)

It's Just Eric 04-12-2006 10:54 PM

Noobish question. Even though Ive seafoamed a few cars in my day....

Whats the IAC line?

Budfreak 04-13-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Noobish question. Even though Ive seafoamed a few cars in my day....

Whats the IAC line?

Idle Air Control. It's the biggest vacuum line on the car located on the intake duct on the backside of it, right in the middle of the car.

svx1999 04-17-2006 05:00 AM

I"ve not used the Seafom cleaning method myself.
but from what budfreak says, if it cleans the IAC and plates and cold start valve. The IAC is bad to get small particles as are some fo the others, just that tiny bit of build up can cause issues.

According to the Service manual, A GM part number for an top engine cleaner is called for. even gives a procedure which takes it through the PVC valve. It doesn't like rubber so eh be careful here. BOth the directions and the manual say to let it sit before starting... since I'm a NOVICE and no expert...

For me anytime you induce cleaners to you intake. Change the oil.. afterwards.

I think I like this Seafoam idea better, and oh as for any coatings?
Well if there are any, they must be clear. THe only coating I've ever seen was black carbon that quickly vanished with a squirt of B12 chemtool. works well at removing any deposit/..

Of course Redline fuel system cleaner works Very well as a to maintain things, amsoils product works well I think... Jury is still out on that.
what can I say I like redline products.
svx1999

ps I got to do all of this and then some to my own.... I've been so neglectful.

Crysis 04-17-2006 08:39 AM

So I followed the instructions of Budfreak...big mistake....jk jk! The sea foam worked great! My cold start problem went away, car starts up without any hesitation. My CEL code for O2 sensors has been gone for 2 weeks now! I definately recommend using Sea Foam. Thanks for the help!

Budfreak 04-17-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crysis
So I followed the instructions of Budfreak...big mistake....jk jk! The sea foam worked great! My cold start problem went away, car starts up without any hesitation. My CEL code for O2 sensors has been gone for 2 weeks now! I definately recommend using Sea Foam. Thanks for the help!

HAHA funny guy.:rolleyes: Glad to hear it worked for ya.;) I just sea foamed my moms outback yesterday, And man did it pep it up.:) Have fun.:D:cool:

Zandar 08-06-2008 05:03 PM

Re: Question about Sea Foam Cleaning ASAP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak (Post 391751)
Any vacuum line will NOT work. There are a few that only go to one side of the intake. The key is to use a vacuum line for that feeds boths sides of the engine. Hence, The reason you use the IAC line as it will clean the IAC and BOTH sides of the intake. You also should use the cold start line for some sea foam to clean the cold start valve.;)

Where is this cold start valve you speak of? Any pics?