The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Good Mechanic in Northern Virginia?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27146)

newsvx 07-04-2005 07:36 AM

Good Mechanic in Northern Virginia??

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good SVX mechanic in the Northern Virginia area? There seem to be fewer and fewer that understand the SVX as the car becomes older and there are fewer on the road.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated. Many are asking....

Harry

Ron Mummert 07-04-2005 09:57 PM

What parts fell off the red racer, Harry?
I'm sure Rufus would make a trek to Stephens City for a bucket o' beer.
See you Sunday,

Ronald (Ron, Ronnie)

newsvx 07-05-2005 06:47 AM

Actually, NONE, Ron. I was asking for a fellow SVX'er in Manassas, VA. He used to have one, but sold it, and he is thinking of getting another one - IF he can find a place that does good work on the SVXi. He apparently had somewhat the same experience as I di at Paul Brothers in Herndon - not good.

He had hear about a fellow that was VERY good with SVXi in Manasas and used to work for a dealer, but seems he now has his own place. He would like to find him or someone like him before getting another SVX.

Yep, I'll be ready to go on Sunday. RUFUS beat me soundly in his new Audi S4 last month (he was second and I was fourth), so I will have to work harder this time.

BTW, Kyle will be home from Richmond this weekend too and is planning to bring his Mazda 3 S to run. Should be interesting!

Later,
Harry

benebob 07-05-2005 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsvx

RUFUS beat me soundly in his new Audi S4 last month (he was second and I was fourth), so I will have to work harder this time.

Later,
Harry

Better get used to it Harry :D but either Dave or myelf should be able to put RUFUS back in his place :D . Make sure you get that boy out to Cumberland at the end of the month! ;)

newsvx 07-05-2005 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=benebob]Better get used to it Harry :D but either Dave or myelf should be able to put RUFUS back in his place :D . Make sure you get that boy out to Cumberland at the end of the month! ;)[/QUOTE

Ben,
The older I get the slower I become - something for you to look forward to :D .

Harry

chancuff 07-06-2005 10:58 AM

I'm the one Harry posted for. I didn't realize I had joined this group some time ago. I live in Ashburn, Va. I don't need, nor expect to find a competent SVX mechanic here in town, but someplace in Northern Virginia would be nice.

I had my original SVX pre-sale check out done at Stohlman's Subaru in Tysons Corner and was happy with the mechanic there who checked it over ... but he no longer works there.

I was talking on the phone a few years ago with a woman who lived in Manassas, Va who was selling her blue SVX that she bought from a mechanic/owner in Manassas who did all her work. That is who Harry was asking about.

As much as I love this car, I'm not about to subject myself to the shoddy workmanship I experienced at Paul Brother's Subaru in Herndon, Va. It's not that SVX's need a lot of work, but I would prefer to pay good money for good work. Any help would be appreciated, or I may end up with a honda/lexus/infinity/accura/nissan.

Cliff Hancuff

Chiketkd 07-06-2005 11:04 AM

If you don't mind the drive, in Cumberland, MD Svxfiles works at Route 40 Auto Sales/ Red Hill Auto Center. Their head mechanic is very good - myself, SVXRide, Matthewmongan, Uncamitzi, SSSVX and a few other members have all taken our cars there!

Best part, their labor rate is ~$35/hr!!!! :cool:

-Chike

SSSVX 07-06-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
If you don't mind the drive, in Cumberland, MD Svxfiles works at Route 40 Auto Sales/ Red Hill Auto Center. Their head mechanic is very good - myself, SVXRide, Matthewmongan, Uncamitzi, SSSVX and a few other members have all taken our cars there!

Best part, their labor rate is ~$35/hr!!!! :cool:

-Chike

Before I read your post, this is what I guess you'd say. :D:p

Plus, svxfiles will probably have alot of ways to get parts. He
has 3 part cars there. :)

1992SVX 07-06-2005 09:52 PM

cancuff u live close pretty to me. what color is yours. is it the ebony pearl one i see driving around hear

yea paul brothers is ok. they could not even find a alternator for a 2000 legacy on the computer. from this site i can tell svxfiles knows his stuff. and going to get my car fixed from him as soon as i find a way to get my car up there.

rufus 07-07-2005 01:18 PM

Hey, that sounds like trash talk you're throwing around there... what's the index on that Millenium Falcon thing you're driving anyway? :D

I'm doing a drivers ed event at Summit Point on Saturday the 30th. If you're going to be at the Cumberland event on Sunday the 31st, I might have to sign myself up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Better get used to it Harry :D but either Dave or myelf should be able to put RUFUS back in his place :D . Make sure you get that boy out to Cumberland at the end of the month! ;)

benebob 07-07-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus
Hey, that sounds like trash talk you're throwing around there... what's the index on that Millenium Falcon thing you're driving anyway? :D

I'm doing a drivers ed event at Summit Point on Saturday the 30th. If you're going to be at the Cumberland event on Sunday the 31st, I might have to sign myself up...

Trash talk is only trash talk if you can't back it up :eek: :D ;) . Index? I'd say about $2k so far. What's the index on that Audi ;) . Actually E Prepared isn't real good.

We are driving down on Saturday, planning to stay at SVXfiles that night and race on Sunday so GET YOUR BUTT SIGNED UP! What kinda D.E. are you doing? Is it to get your solo 1 paperwork or just a track day? I thought you pretty much had to be caged these days to do much at a track.

rufus 07-07-2005 02:31 PM

Summit point is just a track day, strictly for fun.

I hope the course design is a little better this time at Cumberland. Last time I went I thought they made it way more confusing than it needed to be, and it seemed there were almost as many off-courses as successful runs.

We have an M-B club autocross in Winchester this Sunday, why don't you come down?

UniqueAngle 07-07-2005 11:49 PM

Hmmm ... too bad you guys aren't running Summit Point a weekend earlier - We'd get a chance to say hello.

From what I know of the schedule, I'm betting you're doing the drivers' ed with Mercedes (on the main track) as opposed to running with the Porsche club on the Shenandoah Circuit. Am I right?

~Brenda

benebob 07-08-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus
Summit point is just a track day, strictly for fun.

I hope the course design is a little better this time at Cumberland. Last time I went I thought they made it way more confusing than it needed to be, and it seemed there were almost as many off-courses as successful runs.

We have an M-B club autocross in Winchester this Sunday, why don't you come down?

Sadly I can't, tomorrow is new tranny day for the race car so Sunday is baby day for me. Don't ya just love over zelous course designers.

Hope to see ya one the 31st though!

rufus 07-08-2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniqueAngle
Hmmm ... too bad you guys aren't running Summit Point a weekend earlier - We'd get a chance to say hello.

From what I know of the schedule, I'm betting you're doing the drivers' ed with Mercedes (on the main track) as opposed to running with the Porsche club on the Shenandoah Circuit. Am I right?

~Brenda

That's exactly correct. What event are you going to the weekend before?