The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Should I buy it - '63 Ford F-100 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26667)

lee 06-07-2005 09:55 PM

Should I buy it - '63 Ford F-100

A guy I met told me about a friend of his wanting to sell a 1963 Ford F-100 pick-up, 350 Chevy motor and turbo 400 tranny (auto), Vintage A/C, stock brakes (drum, no power), steering (no power assist), and suspension (straight front axle). It's the unibody style with bed and cab in one piece (1958 thru '64?).

All rust was fixed with metal, and the only bondo is on it was used to smooth after welding in replacement body parts. I trust the guy to know his stuff (he is scheduled to appear on Dennis Gage's "My Classic Car" show in the next month).

Asking price is $4K - can't make up my mind - anybody want to offer opinions?

Dza 06-07-2005 10:49 PM

I paid 4k for my SVX. Just get another one of those! haha

A few of my buddies drive/love those classic trucks. If you love them a lot, and have always wanted one then just go get it! If it's just kind of an impulse buy, then I suggest you leave it a week and see if you still really want it. Good luck with whatever option you take!

ensteele 06-07-2005 11:29 PM

Go for it Lee. Just remember that I am always willing to spend money that is not mine! :D :D

dcarrb 06-08-2005 06:37 AM

Sounds nice. Too bad it's got a Chevy powertrain. :)

dcb

Earthworm 06-08-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee
(he is scheduled to appear on Dennis Gage's "My Classic Car" show in the next month).

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...worm/27075.jpg

wawazat?? 06-08-2005 04:30 PM

Do it, do it

My wife and I saw one of those about two weeks back Lee. She giggled and said it looked like it was going to fall on it's face if the driver hit the brakes too hard :D

Todd

Royal Tiger 06-09-2005 07:11 PM

Darrell, Darrell, Darrell. The Chevy 350 is what makes it worth it. No other motor has the flexibility, power, and reliability of the 350 small block. My father in law has a 1937 ford sedan hot-rod. He has a 302 ford, but when I go see him at shows, 75% have Chevy motors.

lee 06-09-2005 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat??
My wife and I saw one of those about two weeks back Lee. She giggled and said it looked like it was going to fall on it's face if the driver hit the brakes too hard :D

Todd

Ah, that's the E-100, an Econoline van turned into a pick-up. I'm looking at the F-100 Unibody - looks just like a normal pickup, except the bed and cab are all one piece - the new Honda pickup uses the same concept.

Now that I've found that one, a guy at work came up with a lead on a 39 GMC with zero rust, but no price as yet.

lee 06-09-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA_SVX
Darrell, Darrell, Darrell. The Chevy 350 is what makes it worth it. No other motor has the flexibility, power, and reliability of the 350 small block. My father in law has a 1937 ford sedan hot-rod. He has a 302 ford, but when I go see him at shows, 75% have Chevy motors.

Estehtically I would prefer a Ford engine in a Ford pickup, but have to agree with the sentiment concerning the 350 - and even if it does break - what auto parts house in the US wouldn't have in stock whatever was needed?

Royal Tiger 06-10-2005 09:52 AM

My father in laws is in the minority. He is just a blue oval boy. His 302 was a crate motor. Most hot rods that have ford motors is because they like the old flat head look. The 350 is light years ahead of any flat head. And you would be hard pressed to find someone who would honestly pick a 351 Cleveland or Windsor over a 350 Chevy.

lee 06-12-2005 01:50 PM

Well, I didn't buy the Ford pickup - my wife talked me into going a totally different direction, and I bought a Toyota MR2 Spyder.

What with 5 cars and a motorcycle in a suburban area (driveway & 2-car garage) I think a vehicle or two will have to go soon - we just ran out of parking places.

TomsSVX 06-12-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

Thats a pretty cool photochop if thats what it is. Don't make fun

Tom

benebob 06-12-2005 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee
Well, I didn't buy the Ford pickup - my wife talked me into going a totally different direction, and I bought a Toyota MR2 Spyder.

What with 5 cars and a motorcycle in a suburban area (driveway & 2-car garage) I think a vehicle or two will have to go soon - we just ran out of parking places.

Doot!!! Lee, hope you got a decent one. Everybody that I know that has one is on their second engine already. Seems those engines are very similar to late 80s early 90s Chryslers in that their tailpipe emits blue stuff at a very high rate. Keep your eye on it!!!

Earthworm 06-13-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
Thats a pretty cool photochop if thats what it is. Don't make fun

Tom

There's nothing modified with that picture except the size. He was in Winnipeg at one of our car shows. I have another pic with both him and myself in it.

lee 06-13-2005 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Doot!!! Lee, hope you got a decent one. Everybody that I know that has one is on their second engine already. Seems those engines are very similar to late 80s early 90s Chryslers in that their tailpipe emits blue stuff at a very high rate. Keep your eye on it!!!

too late - already did it - it's 2002 model year with 24K miles, however it has the Toyota Certified warranty for 100K miles on the powertrain, so I've got a way to go before I have to worry about smoke. The local Toyota dealer is a pretty nice organization - in stark contrast to the Subaru dealers I've interacted with to date (excepting SubaruParts.com).