The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cooling fan problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17343)

BordeauxComet 03-19-2004 10:09 PM

Cooling fan problem

One of my cooling fans (the 4 bladed one on the passenger side) is bent, so when it spins it kind of wobbles. Actually, it wobbles quite a bit because it causes the whole car to vibrate. I took it off and tried to fix it, but I couldn't completely get the vibrations to stop, so I'm going to replace it. I checked SubaruParts.com and all I can seem to find is the 5 bladed one. Does anyone know where I can find the 4 bladed fan, or if the 5 bladed one would work? I only want the plastic fan, not the motor assembly it attaches to. Thanks,
-Nathan

slacker 03-21-2004 07:50 PM

Re: Repalcement Fan Blade

Five blades will work, should move more air, and put a slightly higher load on the motor. The main thing is that it fits the shaft and is balanced and doesn't vibrate. Prolonged vibration will damage the fan motor bearing.

SubaSteevo 03-21-2004 09:13 PM

I had a nut slip off of the fan, not pretty. Yes the 5 blade fan will work just fine

BordeauxComet 03-22-2004 12:18 PM

I'll try out the 5 blade then. Thanks.

BordeauxComet 03-24-2004 07:45 PM

I'm finally going to get a new radiator along with the fan. I'm going to get the 95-97 one because it's a little better, right? Didn’t it fix some issues with the first one? Nothing will be different as far as installation goes, right? Because I'm going to be doing this myself.

immortal_suby 03-24-2004 07:52 PM

The new radiator wont have the mesh screen in the tranny cooling portion so it shouldnt get clogged if you are still using that as a cooler.

Installation is very easy - no tricks involved. I did notice that when I put a new radiator in mine it seemed to be a little cockeyed (parallelogram like)- the cooling fan bolts didnt line up exactly so I had to work with it a little.

BordeauxComet 03-25-2004 12:36 PM

By still using that as the cooler, you mean if I'm not using an external tranny cooler, right? Because I'm not. And as far as the bolts not lining up right, you say it wasn't that much of a problem? What did you have to do to get them to fit? Thanks.

immortal_suby 03-25-2004 05:24 PM

Yeah, if you do not use an external cooler then you are in better shape with the upgraded radiator vs. the old one.

I just had to tweak the fan housing a little to get the bolts to line up. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem though - maybe someone took a break at the factory that day and sat on my radiator.

slacker 03-25-2004 06:31 PM

Re: Raidator Alignment

Haven't changed a SVX radiator, but had the same fit problem with a new radiator for my 87 GL10 Wagon.

Hard to imagine how they could screw up, (except by trying to go too fast) since they must use a jig to position the pieces during manufacture.

Probably someone getting paid by the piece.

SubaSteevo 03-25-2004 06:38 PM

I didn't have any installation problems when I put my new radiator in :confused:

michael 03-25-2004 07:16 PM

It might be cockeyed because of spipping I got one from nextcube a while back and just put it in a couple weeks ago and it had the same problem. Just put some soft blankets on the ground and gently bang it back into shape, it doesn't take much the core is very soft metal. By the way it work like a charm and no big crack thanks nextcube:)

BordeauxComet 03-26-2004 07:09 PM

That's basically what I did, but I couldn't get it completely flat and it still vibrates slightly, so I'm just going to replace it.
And about the radiator... strange, some people had problems and some did not. I hope I don't, but I guess it would only be minor if I do. Anyways, thanks for all the help.