The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Platinum or no??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11967)

want-a-fast-svx 07-14-2003 08:43 AM

Platinum or no???

I have searched through many of the archives and still can't find a specific answer. I have the engine out of my car and am in the process of replacing it. I would like to know if I should run the iridium plugs only or if the platinum 4's are the way to go???Is there any benefit to the iridiums???I went to the parts store and they didnt even know what iridium was... Thanks for any help...

ensteele 07-14-2003 10:19 AM

I have both types in my cars. They run the same, but the irridium plugs are supposed to last longer. It seems that there are different opinions on what the best plug is. Maybe some will give you the reasons that they like the one they are using. I am trying to get a group buy set up for plugs in the near future. They would be the irridium plugs.

Phast SVX 07-14-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I have both types in my cars. They run the same, but the irridium plugs are supposed to last longer. It seems that there are different opinions on what the best plug is. Maybe some will give you the reasons that they like the one they are using. I am trying to get a group buy set up for plugs in the near future. They would be the irridium plugs.
So is this "group buy" open the the public or just for you!!! sorry couldnt resist
phil

Andy 07-14-2003 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
So are the irridium in the left or right bank?

STORMINORMAN 07-14-2003 02:21 PM

Platinum, YES! +4, not really...

Just my humble opinion, but...

It has been my experience that Bosch Platinum, or even Autolite Platinum plugs work absolutely fine for up to 60K miles in the SVX. I personally believe in changing plugs every 30K if for no other reason than to "read" & inspect them.

They are cheap, too!

Interestingly I have recently become a believer in just using the recommended type and heat range spark plugs in my '91 420SEL (regular copper-core Bosch) vs. any newer Platinum, +2 or +4, because when I changed back to the regular plugs THIS car started, idled & ran much better than it ever did with the Platinums. :eek:

ensteele 07-14-2003 06:59 PM

I am checking with someone I know about a group buy for members here. If I get enough interest, I will get this set up. I am checking to see if he will do it for us.

want-a-fast-svx 07-15-2003 11:46 AM

Unfortunately for me i cant wait for a group buy. So if i went with the platinum 4's i should be ok right???NO foreseable damage would happen from running them..?

Aredubjay 07-15-2003 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Unfortunately for me i cant wait for a group buy. So if i went with the platinum 4's i should be ok right???NO foreseable damage would happen from running them..?
In the 4-odd years I've been involved with these forums, I've heard mixed reviews on the Bosch +2's and +4's. Some hate 'em, some like 'em.

Personally, being "stock boy" I stick with the prescribed NGK's. I have, however considered Bosch Platinums (not the +'s) for "The Evil Twin" since I did have great results in all other cars I've used them in. I've just been a little "skeerd" to use them in the SVX.

NikFu S. 07-15-2003 06:12 PM

heya
ive been running iridiums for a couple months now.
the idea is they are more heat resistant and require slightly less voltage being that they are more dense and conductive than platinum, hence the price.
if youre into beefing up the power of the eg33 (like me) than its definitely beneficial. if not you may not notice a difference.