The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spotted an enigma (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58220)

svxcess 09-08-2011 12:33 PM

Spotted an enigma

When dropping my wife off at NSA this morning. We were rerouted through a different set of gates/ checkpoints, due to recent flooding and new security protocols. I was in an area with a totally different parking lot than I was familiar with. In fact, the only thing that was familiar in that lot was a silver SVX. :cool:

After dropping her off, I circled back to get a better look. It was raining steadily so I did not spend a lot of time outside checking it out. Here's what I know so far.

Color: Solid Silver. Noticed the side markers in the fender.

Interior: LHD, Gray leather. Looked like our LS-L/ LSi. Noticed the headlight level switch on the console. Which lead me to the front of the car.

Headlights: They were the glass units. Tapped them with my keys to confirm. There was also a EU/ Germany plate on the front. :cool::cool:

VIN: could not read the entire VIN, due to fogging and a sticker on the windshield. But I deciphered enough of it to tell that the model year was a 1995.

Went to the rear of the car; a Maryland plate was on there. Took a quick look under the car to see a rear diff and a driveshaft = AWD. Did not want to snoop around the car too much as there are security cameras everywhere and security is already heightened because this is the 9/11 weekend. So I copied the plate number and left.

I called my wife and wanted to see if she could work her magic to access the vehicle database to see the name of the owner and possibly their office location, phone and email. She said that was sensitive information and she would probably not be able to, but we'll see.

To summarize, I found what appears to be a silver, top -of -the-line 1995 Subaru SVX from Germany with AWD. Car looked quite well maintained (but all cars look good when its raining) Since it had MD plates on it it seems to have gotten into the country successfully.

almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part. :confused:

The car had NO sunroof! Just a solid silver roof. Either it was an option in Germany or the owner decided to get rid of it or the original one was damaged and this one was available. If the car is still there when I go back to pick up my wife, I will try to look at the headliner to confirm. While looking over the car something didn't seem right and it was the "something that wasn't there" that stood out against the silver roof.

Inputs or answers are welcome. If I get more info, I post later. I wonder if he would want to sell it? hmmmmmm

dbarnblatt 09-08-2011 01:56 PM

Re: Spotted an enigma

Did you notice if it had the Euro center tail light and/or rear fog light button.

Also a tell tail sign would be the headlight washing system. (Button on dash and nozzles on front bumper).

Sounds nice anyway!

svxcess 09-08-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarnblatt (Post 685975)
Did you notice if it had the Euro center tail light and/or rear fog light button.

Also a tell-tale sign would be the headlight washing system. (Button on dash and nozzles on front bumper).

Sounds nice anyway!

Has headlight washer nozzles in front bumper.
Clear corners
Has "manual" button on console and antenna button where our shift lock is.
Has IR security system (I can see the LED slots in the door handles)
Has the euro taillight bar with foglights. Subaru SVX in black letters.
NO spoiler
Center LED brake strip
Stock alloy wheels (on correctly)

By the time I get back to pick her up, it will be too dark to check headliner without shining a flashlight in the windows. not a good idea at all :eek:

SVX92-97 09-08-2011 04:49 PM

John, where are the photos?? I know you will track down the owner like you did when you bought your pearlie, and he or she will offer it to you. I know you like the idea of having a German SVX:cool: You like to be different:cool:

SVXyGirl 09-08-2011 05:07 PM

Not to jump off topic but... John did you realize you butt dialed me earlier. I have a 4 minute voicemail of weird noises. Not sure what you were doing. Just thought I would let you know.

Sounds like a nice car. I want that tailbar so bad.

LetItSnow 09-08-2011 06:44 PM

I got my European tailbar from ebay.de ... If the ad says they ship to German only, ask if they'll zap it to the U.S. The guy/company/watev told me they'd do it for an additional charge (more for shipping, weird!) and I got it slowboat DHL in a couple of weeks!
clicky: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...h_IMG_2879.jpg

How many European SVXi do we know of in the States?

svxcess 09-08-2011 09:19 PM

When I picked up my wife at 7:00 this evening, the SVX was gone and was replaced by another vehicle. I will continue to keep an eye out for it and if I find it, you can be sure I will leave a network card with my name and number. I'll even put it in a plastic baggie for weather like today; I was just caught by surprise. I now keep these cards in the Outback.

So, there are a few possibilities; rate the likelihood.

The car is a base model (similar to our L or LS models) with the Active Safety Group and without a sunroof. The owner then swapped out the interior for the leather seats and escaine trim.

The car may have had the sunroof as an option in that market and that year, just as the spoiler was an option, and the owner preferred neither.

The car originally had a sunroof and, whether through an accident or other damage (hail, tree damage, etc.) the roof was replaced with a solid one. This could have been the owner's preference or that the correct one was unavailable at the time.

svxcess 09-08-2011 09:52 PM

From the Japanese Accessories Catalog:

They are showing the spoiler as an option, but notice the leather interior and no sunroof.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/242.jpg

svxcess 09-08-2011 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

And just to keep your interest, I propose this:

While looking at all the photos in my prototype brochure, I cannot find clear evidence that there was one.

Ron Mummert 09-08-2011 10:35 PM

almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part. :confused:

The car had NO sunroof! Just a solid silver roof. Either it was an option in Germany or the owner decided to get rid of it or the original one was damaged and this one was available. If the car is still there when I go back to pick up my wife, I will try to look at the headliner to confirm. While looking over the car something didn't seem right and it was the "something that wasn't there" that stood out against the silver roof.

Inputs or answers are welcome. If I get more info, I post later. I wonder if he would want to sell it? hmmmmmm

The REAL Enigma sits in the crypto museum within spittin' distance of the parking lot. If you've never visited this place after logging a zillion trips to NSA, FOR SHAME! :confused:

EX-Secret agent Ron.

svxcess 09-08-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 686013)
[I]almost forgot one thing... This is the enigma part. :confused

The REAL Enigma sits in the crypto museum within spittin' distance of the parking lot. If you've never visited this place after logging a zillion trips to NSA, FOR SHAME! :confused:

EX-Secret agent Ron.

I've been in the National Cryptological Musuem at least 50 times. Truly fascinating and great displays The store has a lot of great NSA stuff too.

plus, after 1 1/2 hour on the road each way, 4 times a day, it's got the only decent bathroom before I have to make the trip back home

dbarnblatt 09-08-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 686005)

So, there are a few possibilities; rate the likelihood.

The car is a base model (similar to our L or LS models) with the Active Safety Group and without a sunroof. The owner then swapped out the interior for the leather seats and escaine trim.

The car may have had the sunroof as an option in that market and that year, just as the spoiler was an option, and the owner preferred neither.

The car originally had a sunroof and, whether through an accident or other damage (hail, tree damage, etc.) the roof was replaced with a solid one. This could have been the owner's preference or that the correct one was unavailable at the time.

From what you described, Id say it's a European model. Headlamp washers, glass headlamps, rear tail light, all the switches... it's all there.

The Sunroof was an option on overseas models... Need for Speed's black Version L is all leather and no sunroof.

dbarnblatt 09-08-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 686010)
.And just to keep your interest, I propose this:

While looking at all the photos in my prototype brochure, I cannot find clear evidence that there was one..

You are right on the concept car.... no sunroof.

http://piledrivermedia.com/files/ima.../svx_proto.jpg

svxcess 09-09-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarnblatt (Post 686016)
From what you described, Id say it's a European model. Headlamp washers, glass headlamps, rear tail light, all the switches... it's all there.

The sunroof was an option on overseas models... Need for Speed's black Version L is all leather and no sunroof.

This explanation is the most logical.

SVX92-97 09-13-2011 10:18 AM

John, are you still seeing that enigma before your eyes:lol: