The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I want a new Brat (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34083)

dcarrb 07-07-2006 10:54 AM

I want a new Brat

Dear Subaru: Build it off the Impreza chassis, like the Forester. Two-seater. Rubber matting instead of carpet. Steel bed with sprayed-on bed liner. Thrifty, no-frills 1.8 turning an old-school, dual-range manual gearbox and "on demand" 4WD. Trim it out to sell from the mid to high teens, which should include standard ABS, AC and cruise. Sell millions... well, I mean, should you choose to advertise the thing.

Just daydreaming.

dcb

Landshark 07-07-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Dear Subaru: Build it off the Impreza chassis, like the Forester. Two-seater. Rubber matting instead of carpet. Steel bed with sprayed-on bed liner. Thrifty, no-frills 1.8 with turning an old-school, dual-range manual gearbox and "on demand" 4WD. Trim it out to sell from the mid to high teens, which should include standard ABS, AC and cruise. Sell millions... well, I mean, should you choose to advertise the thing.

Just daydreaming.

dcb

install some seats in the cargo bed of a Baja? :confused:

Hocrest 07-07-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
install some seats in the cargo bed of a Baja? :confused:

A Baja is not a Brat:(

dcarrb 07-07-2006 11:05 AM

My thinking is that a Baja is long on price and short on function.

I'll admit it: I'm still missing my old '86 GL wagon. Now THAT was a Subaru.

dcb

Landshark 07-07-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
My thinking is that a Baja is long on price and short on function.

I'll admit it: I'm still missing my old '86 GL wagon. Now THAT was a Subaru.

dcb

i can't imagine the Brat had bigger cargo capacity than the Baja. the Baja will sit four comfortably, and the XT will haul ass, too. the price won't be as cheap, though.

Subafreak has a turbo Baja AND a jacked-up old school wagon, so he should probably chime in here. :)

Speedklix 07-07-2006 11:40 AM

he also has a brat... sort of

The think the brat and the baja really are two different types of machines.
I don't think subaru should be producing more than one truck bed bearing vehicle though.

dcarrb 07-07-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
i can't imagine the Brat had bigger cargo capacity than the Baja. the Baja will sit four comfortably, and the XT will haul ass, too. the price won't be as cheap, though.

Subafreak has a turbo Baja AND a jacked-up old school wagon, so he should probably chime in here. :)

In terms of total payload by weight you're probably right, the Baja surely comes-out on top. But I think a Brat-type vehicle would be more functional as a hauler, not to mention way cheaper and more economical to operate.

My ex and I test drove an XT-6 back in the day but settled on a GL 3-door for the same reason we held onto our Legacy instead of springing for an SVX: Price. That XT was a real Subaru, too. Cool looking car.

dcb

Royal Tiger 07-07-2006 03:29 PM

Use the 2.5L and the current Forester chassis. The Baja is dead anyway. They need a new SUV, since the B9 is hidious and not selling. A bigger car then the Legacy would be nice as well.

NapaBavarian 07-07-2006 03:57 PM

Hmmmm, would it sell in this country? It seems that with the big 3 offering seeming perpetual quasi employee pricing you could get a downsize pickup for the same price :( but it sure would be nice to dream about :) I'm thinking of a mid/late 90's outback non turbo for economy :)

Manarius 07-07-2006 04:32 PM

Yuck. Baja takes truck licensing...they cost like $80+ to license in this state. I do agree though that Subaru needs to get rid of the B9 because it looks like butt and it needs to advertise the baja more.

Ricochet 07-07-2006 05:08 PM

Buy an El Camino and put a four banger in it

NapaBavarian 07-07-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
Buy an El Camino and put a flat four in it

Repaired :cool:

Royal Tiger 07-07-2006 06:33 PM

The ultimate Brat is an '87 with a STi 2.5 in it! :)

Hocrest 07-07-2006 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
The ultimate Brat is an '87 with a STi 2.5 in it! :)

But the 87's didn't have seats, and I would rather have this engine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...with_H6_in.jpg

Bobb 07-07-2006 08:50 PM

Trucks?

Hi everyone, Although I have no use for a "Pickup" or a "SUV" of any kind. Made by any manufacturer. I would love to see a Legacy GT with the flat six. I know, it has the same HP as the turbo 2.5 flat four, but I just have a thing for Subarus with a flat six. Take care, BOBB

P/S Sorry it was not a BRAT post. Just take those B9 sixes and put them in the Legacy. After all Subaru now has [2] TWO colors of leather. Amazing! "B"