The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Wheel Bearings - Alternatives to OEM? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49074)

Treppiede 02-10-2009 08:17 PM

Rear Wheel Bearings - Alternatives to OEM?

Fellow SVXers,
Don't ask, but my bearings seem to have lasted only a dozen thousand miles or so and I am likely going to replace them before selling the Baby. :(

I understand that Subaru has apparently addressed the bearings issue by using proper grease etc, however I am tired of forking money to fix an engineering error and I'd love to be able to buy my next set of bearings from another manufacturer (just out of principle).

I already contacted Timken and requested appropriate p/n and distributor info.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Has anyone used Timken bearings? How would you compare them to OEMs?
  • Do you know of any other manufacturer of quality bearings?
Thanks in advance!

-Walter

PS=I know SVX_Motorsports_Warehouse carries Timken but I don't find their prices to be competitive.

Crazy_pilot 02-10-2009 09:34 PM

Re: Rear Wheel Bearings - Alternatives to OEM?

How many times have you replaced them? I did my left left one 14K miles ago and the left one about 10K miles back and no problems since. The previous ones looked to have gone bad from water getting into the races while the car sat on the lot and rusting the outer races of the bearings. If some cars keep eating bearings and others only go through one set in a lifetime, I have to think there's something wrong with the car.

As for alternatives, Timken is the only one I've heard of. There was some talk about the rear bearings from the Imprezas being the same dimensions as ours, and I believe someone else found a bearing that had identical inner and outer diameters, but wasn't as wide as ours, which required a spacer be used. That last one was rated for some stupendous amount of weight, far in excess of a car.

huck369 02-11-2009 05:09 AM

If it only lasted a short time after installation, you probably need to replace the whole knuckle, I had the same issue on one of mine, and replaced the knuckle and never had any more trouble...

lhopp77 02-11-2009 07:27 AM

I posted this in another thread recently, but it is still good information to pass around. Timken bearings ARE good bearings and this is about the cheapest source I have found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timke...Q5fAccessories

Rear bearing for $47.72 plus $5.95 shipping. Beats OEM price.

It is still recommended to use OEM seals over aftermarket.

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppiede (Post 586927)
Fellow SVXers,
Don't ask, but my bearings seem to have lasted only a dozen thousand miles or so and I am likely going to replace them before selling the Baby. :(

I understand that Subaru has apparently addressed the bearings issue by using proper grease etc, however I am tired of forking money to fix an engineering error and I'd love to be able to buy my next set of bearings from another manufacturer (just out of principle).

I already contacted Timken and requested appropriate p/n and distributor info.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Has anyone used Timken bearings? How would you compare them to OEMs?
  • Do you know of any other manufacturer of quality bearings?
Thanks in advance!

-Walter

PS=I know SVX_Motorsports_Warehouse carries Timken but I don't find their prices to be competitive.

Treppiede 02-11-2009 09:52 AM

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

I doubt my knuckles are bad. I suspect the problem returned due to something wrong in the repacking-process (perhaps I had the revised OEMs and didn't need to repack with Mobil1 Synthetic) or improper axle-nut torquing (not torqued enough).

In any case, I will certainly measure the knuckles with the proper equipment and ensure the housing inner-diameter is homogeneous before pressing the new bearings in.

Thanks for the link Lee, I'll likely buy those!

-Walter

SVX_MY_BABY 02-12-2009 11:14 AM

One major cause of failure is the seals. If not installed correctly water gets in & ruins the bearings. WRX bearings are interchangeable.

dannmarr 02-13-2009 04:55 PM

I replaced the same bearing three times within a year. Finally I decided to swap the whole hub assembly with a used one. I haven't had a problem since.