The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   does anyone have 18 inch wheels on their svx (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43038)

kwren 01-30-2008 06:49 PM

does anyone have 18 inch wheels on their svx

Hello 18 inch wheel people!
If so, is the ride as comfortable with the lower profile tires as the 16 inch wheels with not as low profile tires?
Thanks, Keith

Crazy_pilot 01-30-2008 06:52 PM

I don't have them, but I can still answer your question: There's lots of people here with 18's, and the ride gets much more harsh than stock. You're loosing 1" of sidewall between the wheel and the road, which makes the tire much less able to absorb bumps. I drove a Mercedes AMG SLK a couple days ago, with 225/40/18 tires, and the ride was not too pleasant.

Tim 01-30-2008 06:53 PM

It's noticeably stiffer and bumpier. It doesn't really bother me though because its just as smooth on the highway at high speeds.

Ricochet 01-30-2008 10:52 PM

I have 18's. Not sure wtf these people are talking about, rides just fine.

sicksubie 01-30-2008 11:03 PM

I thought that there was no difference but let me say that when I can get out of one car with 18's and get my other car with stockers... The difference is obvious.

subru92svx 01-30-2008 11:51 PM

I have 18's on my car and noticed the difference a little, but what I gained in looks outweighs what I lost in ride quality. That is just my opinion though.

NikFu S. 01-31-2008 02:25 AM

The way I look at it, the only gain you'll get from 18s is looks, unless they are like light magnesium or something, and wide and you really need the traction.
The ride won't be less comfortable per se, but bumps will be more obvious.

gsodonis 01-31-2008 04:12 AM

I've had my SVX for 3.5 years and it came with 18's when I bought it. I also have Koni's and Ground Controls, so I'm running pretty stiff. The only time I ran 16's was when I had a flat and was waiting on Tirerack to deliver a new set. I put the stockers on for a week and could tell that the car 'floated' more, especially when cornering. The difference wasn't huge, but it was noticeable. Much more crashing over bumps with the 18's, but at speed on the highway, my setup is still pretty smooth.

It's really a matter of personal preference. I for one prefer a stiff ride over the 'smoother' stock setting available and have replaced the stock shocks (with higher performance) and increased wheel diameter on every car I have ever owned. Why not compromise and go with 17's. You can get a used set of forged Subaru STi wheels for around the same price as some of the 18's out there. They're lighter and very durable and look great. Look at YT's signature to see what a silver set looks like monuted on his car.

kwren 01-31-2008 07:06 AM

Too late17's might be better, but...

I got these an ebay and they are beautiful
Haven't got them on yet, Have to clear it with MinnieMouse :lol:
Thanks for all the information people!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...205687048&rd=1

gsodonis 01-31-2008 07:18 AM

Hubcentric rings

Don't forget to buy a set of hub centering rings. The Nissan hub centers are larger than the SVX. Without centering rings, you could have some trouble with vibration. Some people run without them saying that the wheels are bolt centric, but centering the wheels against the hub adds shear strength to the assembly and guarantees them to be centered. www.tires.com sells them for around $15 a set. They're anodized aluminum too, not the cheap plastic kind.

kwren 02-01-2008 08:15 PM

centering rings?

I went to tires.com and didn't see a "centering ring" section:confused:
Disappointed...:(
Anyone have a clue how to find their centering rings on the site.
thanks all for the input!
Keith

NikFu S. 02-01-2008 08:37 PM

Most tire and wheel sites don't sell rings because they want you to buy wheels that will fit your car. This way they have to deal with far less returns or other liability issues.
I've never used any so goggle "hubcentric rings" and do your best.

Crazy_pilot 02-01-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 525004)
I went to tires.com and didn't see a "centering ring" section:confused:
Disappointed...:(
Anyone have a clue how to find their centering rings on the site.
thanks all for the input!
Keith

The companies I deal with at work will send centering rings with the rims which are the correct size for the hub.

YourConfused 02-01-2008 09:08 PM

here ya go

I have murano rims on mine (the better looking 5 spoke ones). 225/40/18 tires (Nexen 3k). The ride is not much stiffer than stock. Handling is much better.
I had hubcentric rings made for mine. I drove with them and without them. I no longer use the rings because they are not needed for the type of lug nuts the murano rims use.
They are no longer used because I didn't need them to begin with.
If you feel you really need them then I could send you mine for a couple bucks.
This my personal experience and that is that.

kwren 02-02-2008 04:25 PM

I will send you a personal message

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 525017)
I have murano rims on mine (the better looking 5 spoke ones). 225/40/18 tires (Nexen 3k). The ride is not much stiffer than stock. Handling is much better.
I had hubcentric rings made for mine. I drove with them and without them. I no longer use the rings because they are not needed for the type of lug nuts the murano rims use.
They are no longer used because I didn't need them to begin with.
If you feel you really need them then I could send you mine for a couple bucks.
This my personal experience and that is that.

Thanks.......................