The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anybody have a part # for the plastic protector on the lwr rear qtr cladding? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42095)

svxistentialist 11-30-2007 07:17 AM

Anybody have a part # for the plastic protector on the lwr rear qtr cladding?

Does anybody know what the part number might be for the plastic oval shaped paint protector that is stuck to the lower cladding ahead of each rear wheel?

I can find the cladding on 1stsubaruparts. However, there is no mention of the plastic see-through protector that is stuck to it.

Surely this needs replacement in any situation requiring spray paint?

Any help with a number, or better still where to get it, would be much appreciated.

Joe

svxcess 11-30-2007 08:56 AM

Joe,

Here are the US part numbers for the protective urethane film

91066PA070 Urethane Film RH
91066PA080 Urethane Film LH

They run 35.12 each form subaruparts.com and are not kept in stock.

They are parts 20 and 21 in their diagram below

I just talked to Clay Subaru in Norwood, Massachussetts. They have them in stock for $46.08 each (list price).
Their phone number is (781) 762-2400

No one else in the US currently has them in stock. Here is their website:
CLAY SUBARU

Hocrest 11-30-2007 09:21 AM

I think Michael just got some scraps of sign vinyl from the sign shop he was working for. Even if you have to pay for them, I'd guess it would be less than $5.00.

svxcess 11-30-2007 09:44 AM

I have done that on other autos and it works very well. Use "high-performance" automotive film, it is much more durable and thinner than regular.

If you can make a rubbing of the original one on the cladding, you can use it as a template to trace the outline onto the film.

Make sure the surface you are applying it to is perfectly clean and smooth and free of imperfections, dust or dirt.

Mix up a small solution of warm water with 1 or 2 drops of clear dishwashing liquid (just enough to give a little suds and act as a lubricant) into a spray bottle.

The easiest way:

Cut the film to the desired shape with a razor blade and peel off the protective backing.

Spray the back of the film with a little of the solution and also mist the area on the cladding where you will be applying the film.

Place the film on the cladding and move it around into the desired position. Once in place, and starting from the center and working outward, use a rubber film squeegee or the side of a credit card to remove the excess water and all the air bubbles from underneath the film. Let it dry.

The water temporarily neutralizes the film so it will slide around like a decal. Once the water is removed and it starts to dry, the adhesive comes back.

svxistentialist 11-30-2007 10:14 AM

Thanks John, thanks guys, brilliant information.

It might be worthwhile running the part #s past a main dealer here. If they have to come from Japan anyway, possibly they would come in as cheap as your US prices, but I doubt it.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thank you very much.

Joe

crazyhorse 11-30-2007 11:31 AM

Here's a product from 3M that will do the same thing, with a nice smooth surface. The OEM has a "grain" to it IIRC.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...en/scotchgard/

Roo 11-30-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 512055)
Joe,

Here are the US part numbers for the protective urethane film

91066PA070 Urethane Film RH
91066PA080 Urethane Film LH

They run 35.12 each form subaruparts.com and are not kept in stock.

They are parts 20 and 21 in their diagram below

I just talked to Clay Subaru in Norwood, Massachussetts. They have them in stock for $46.08 each (list price).
Their phone number is (781) 762-2400

No one else in the US currently has them in stock. Here is their website:
CLAY SUBARU

WHITE BEAR SUBARU
WHITE BEAR LAKE, MN 55110

has one of them in stock as well... (the 080)

;)

BTW, the Westhampton RDC has six sets of them in stock as well, so they are available to order from a Subaru dealership.