The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   which resistor for transmission is CLOSEST to stock? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58306)

steveherman 09-19-2011 10:00 PM

which resistor for transmission is CLOSEST to stock?

25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

ALSO is the stock the recommended resistance or is there a preferred different resistance?
My ONLY desire is transmission longevity... so does one resistor help the longevity more than the other?

icingdeath88 09-20-2011 09:54 AM

Re: which resistor for transmission is CLOSEST to stock?

I'll look later and see if I can find a spare for you. Are you coming to Tampa this weekend?

svxcess 09-20-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveherman (Post 686821)
25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

ALSO is the stock the recommended resistance or is there a preferred different resistance?
My ONLY desire is transmission longevity... so does one resistor help the longevity more than the other?

Ask svxfiles. He knows this stuff inside and out and rebuilds these resistors for various needs.

The answer to your last question is YES.

Firmer shifts between gears generate less heat overall. The stock resistor was designed for long and smooth shift changes, which is not necessarily good.

Do you have an external transmission cooler?

steveherman 09-20-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 686868)
I'll look later and see if I can find a spare for you. Are you coming to Tampa this weekend?

mine reads 12.5ohms... i think it was just wet and caused it to throw code...no code now... but i also ordered all 4 resistors.

not sure about tampa. radiator should be here friday... if so then yes i plan on it.

svxcess 09-20-2011 07:22 PM

From many of my stored documents:

The resistor in no way is associated with the designed functional sequence of the transmission. Altering or removing it is a bastard way of altering the designed parameters.

THE SVX DROPPING RESISTOR CIRCUIT

Solenoid valve “A” which controls transmission line pressure is continuously pulse width modulated and opens and closes at a rate of 50 times per second. This means that the normally closed valve can be subject, to what could be called a hammering of the valve seat, even though this is largely damped by the controlled fluid flow.

In order to overcome this problem, the signal is divided into two separate circuits. Each pulse is initiated with a constant very short full voltage signal, which accelerates the valve towards fully open. This short fixed length pulse is extended to the required pulse length, by means of a second parallel signal via the resistor circuit, but at a reduced in voltage. This results in a rapid opening and soft closing of the valve and a reduction of both shock and noise. The resistor allows both voltages to be supplied at the same potential, so as to reduce complication within the control system.

Limiting the voltage holding in the solenoid also reduces the overall power delivered and therefore heating within the coil.

It will be appreciated that omitting the dropping resistor and thus leaving the circuit open, or increasing the resistance in the circuit, will completely upset the control signal and result in an abnormal, increased line pressure. Typically pressure at idle has been shown to be raised from a normal 45 PSI, to 120 PSI with the resistor disconnected and the circuit open. Obviously shock loads applied to the valve are increased.

It is a recognized fact, that the normally closed line pressure control solenoid, is usually the first to fail, due to having to fulfill by far the most arduous duty, by operating continuously at 50 CPS. Failure is usually mechanical, resulting in the valve seat not closing properly, thus causing a reduced line pressure. The end result can be drastic, especially in respect of transmission friction surfaces.

Diagnostic Code 11 indicates a faulty solenoid “A”, a fault in line transmission resistor or interconnecting wiring. The SVX workshop manuals indicate that a mechanically sticking or seized valve, as well as an electrically faulty solenoid, can be detected. Mechanical failure can be confirmed by means of a line pressure test, but not by via electrical resistance testing.

NOTE: The solenoid can be replaced without removing the transmission from the car and this should not be a particularly expensive procedure. Therefore, warning signals should be heeded.

The resistor should measure between 9 and 15 ohms to be within specifications, and is usually very close to 12 ohms.

oab_au 09-20-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveherman (Post 686821)
25W015= 15ohm
25W020= 20ohm
25W027= 27ohm
25W030= 30ohm

12 Ohms is standard, but if you are interested in extending the life of the transmission, increase it to 27 Ohms. This will raise the line pressure a bit to increase the pressure at low speeds to help prevent the band and high clutch from slipping at low speeds. It won't produce problems from too high a pressure causing binding, or higher gas consumption.

Also shift back to third in city traffic.

Harvey.