The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   HID's and snow/fog driving? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48606)

svxash 01-12-2009 08:07 PM

HID's and snow/fog driving?

For those of you that have HID's and have driven while it's snowing or in fog is it hard to see while it's snowing or in fog? Is there glare or reflection off of the falling snow?

SoCal LS-L 01-12-2009 08:19 PM

Re: HID's and snow/fog driving?

It depends mainly on the temperature of the HID lights. HID's are more effective in normal driving conditions because of their high secondary reflectivity off of objects in front of them. However this is a bad thing when driving in snow because it reflects off of the snow itself which is blocking visibility. The lower temp ones can throw out a yellower light which is better since it does not reflect back as much visible light.

redlightningsvx 01-12-2009 08:23 PM

Mine were ok in the snow. I have the 6000k. I need to upgrade my fogs so I can cut through that stuff better.

svxash 01-12-2009 08:26 PM

I'm thinking of installing 4500k HID's.

redlightningsvx 01-12-2009 08:35 PM

I think if I put in pure yellow hid fogs it will cut the glare down a good bit.

Crazy_pilot 01-12-2009 08:56 PM

I also have 6000K HID's and have no problem in blizzards. Not any more than I did with regular halogens anyway. There may be a bit more reflection and the colour is more blue, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

siceclipse 01-12-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 581932)
I'm thinking of installing 4500k HID's.

i have them and i like them a lot.

svxcess 01-12-2009 10:36 PM

I have the 5000K HIDs in both my projector low beams AND my fog lights. I was wondering how they would be in bad weather, since they were not auto leveling and thought about being able to disable ONLY the headlight circuit at will

[COLOR="Red"]REASONING:[/COLOR]

I did not know how the new HID system would operate in snowy weather from a standpoint of reflected glare from the snow back into my eyes or those of oncoming traffic. Since I drive quite a bit slower during these times, my need to see very far down the road with the headlights is decreased.

Putting H-3 HIDs into the fog lights, I would be able to use them as auxiliary headlights to still shine on the road adequately and not bother other drivers. I would turn these on with only the parking lights, leaving the main headlights off. They should be bright enough to adequately see, while also being bright enough to be seen by oncoming traffic.

I did a test last winter when there was snow on the ground and light snow falling.

I parked my SVX on a straight, deserted road with only my low-beam headlights on and walked about 500 ft. from the car and looked back at my car. I also sat in my car and looked out at the road to see what kind of visibility I had.

I then repeated the same tests, by disconnecting my headlights and using ONLY my HID fog lights.

CONCLUSION: I had better visibility using only the fog lights than using the headlights.

Using only the fog lights, I had more useful illumination on the ground before me and a good distance and no glare from the falling snow. In fact, all I could see was the road ahead of me and hardly any falling snow. You tend to drive slower during snow, so I never out-drove the distance I was illuminating.

Looking back at the SVX from 500 feet away There was a lot more noticeable glare, (from both the scattering of the light pattern in the falling snow and from the reflection from the snow-covered road, when I used the headlights by themselves.

When I used ONLY the fog lights, I could still see them more clearly, but the glare was greatly reduced.

So when driving at night in bad winter weather, I use only my fogs. I can see more efficiently and be seen as well by oncoming drivers, without distracting glare to them, or me from reflected snowfall. They look like normal headlights from the front (only closer together) With the headlights disconnected, I also lose high-beam capabilities, which is something you do not need in this kind of weather anyway.

So I can see and be seen, without the threat of blinding glare. Once we get snow here this winter, I will take comparison photos to show you what I mean.

svxcess 01-12-2009 10:47 PM

This is from another post I did concerning tests done on a very foggy day back in November, 2007. This was when I found out the fogs alone were the way to go in inclement weather.

It was a VERY foggy day here in Maryland and I did a lot of driving in the afternoon and into the evening.

I discovered there is a lot more reflected glare from the projector HIDs than the stock halogens. This doesn't limit my visibility during the day, but at night it is a little more difficult to see beyond the fog... just a little.

Time for a test. I went home and put strips of duct tape over my projector HIDs and just used the HID fog lights. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The beam pattern was low and very wide and allowed me to see under the fog further than I ever have. More determined than ever to do this mod.

On a side note, from the view of oncoming traffic, the foglight-only HIDs are brighter at a distance than PIAA low beams. My son took his pearlie (with the PIAA 9005s I used to use prior to the changeover) and I took the polo to a long deserted dead-end street.

We parked them side-by-side, he with his low beams on and me with just the fogs. We walked down the road and kept looking back to see how far we could go before the lights disappeared.

At the point where I could not see his headlights at all in the fog, the Polo's fog lights were still very visible. The car seemed farther away than it actually was because of the fog lights being closer together.

subbieatnz 01-13-2009 01:40 AM

i was shown some after market kits for HID lights 2day. i was very impressed. even got told they draw very lil amps.

AFBeefcake 01-13-2009 10:20 AM

I have PIAA ION H-3 bulbs in my fog lights. It does help alot in snow/fog running the fogs with my HID lows.

Freeman 01-13-2009 10:50 AM

I have 8000k HID's and the stock fog lights and both work very well together.. What it really comes down to is, how old are you? Can you still see without using bi-focals??? :lol:

Zandar 01-13-2009 01:51 PM

I have 4500k lows and 3000k fogs; no complaints so far. Way better than stock; I just wish I had an easy way to turn on the fogs only to see if it's better in the snow.

siceclipse 01-13-2009 05:55 PM

Zander, you got any pics of the fog lights?
did you keep the "sheild" in the fog light? or did you take it out?

JaySVX 01-13-2009 06:51 PM

I'll be sure to let you know AS SOON AS WE GET SOME DAMNED SNOW!!! And I get some HIDs...