The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *reowreowreowreow* ...She's dead, JIm. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35443)

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 02:23 PM

*reowreowreowreow* ...She's dead, JIm.

Tried heading out to work this morning, but the X would not start.

Same problem as usual, I turn the key and get nothing, so I tap it back and forth and it usually kicks in.
Not today. It just kinda faded away.
It's getting colder and the car sat all weekend so I figured the battery was just drained and the oil kinda thick.

I hooked up my portable jumpstarter/trickle charger and tried again.

It just kept crankin' like a bull.

I hitched a ride to work and I'm thinking about all day, I wonder if my fuel pump is shot?

Power is good. Starter might be worn (dunno how it works). I believe it would still start if I lost a coil.
The sound it made just had me thinking "fuel".

Thing is, a couple days ago I swear I smelled gas as I was driving along. You never know it could be some junker in front of you, and also ironically, I had just bought some oil and gas and oil smell the same to me. It could have been the oil, though the containers were sealed as far as I know.

I was also eating :rolleyes: ... who knows.

---
Here's what I need right now. I need to diagnose the problem.

The car cranks forever, so we can rule that out to spark and fuel, right?

I know there's some trick with a screwdriver to checking spark but I forget what to do, and I need to know the best place to disconnect a fuel line and see if there is pressure.

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 02:29 PM

Ok I think this is important. I just went out and listened to it again and it's not making the normal "REE OW" sound. It's just kinda going "REE REE REE" like there is no resistance.
Sounds like a starter issue but I know NOTHING about starters.

I could create a sound clip, if anyone thinks it would help.

bwb3 10-02-2006 02:41 PM

Free running starter with no resistance could be timing belt. That's how my old GL10 went.
Gene

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 03:00 PM

T belt is tight and looking good.

Battery is on the trickle. Someone here is dead-set the battery is the culprit, but I'm not so sure.

Manarius 10-02-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Ok I think this is important. I just went out and listened to it again and it's not making the normal "REE OW" sound. It's just kinda going "REE REE REE" like there is no resistance.
Sounds like a starter issue but I know NOTHING about starters.

I could create a sound clip, if anyone thinks it would help.

Sound would be immensely useful.

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 04:05 PM

K I'll get on that.

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 04:41 PM

Thar it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nonPics347.jpg

It's a video, but you can't see anything because my camera is teh borkenated.

TomsSVX 10-02-2006 04:42 PM

Turn the key foward to the on position but don't start it... Listen for the fuel pump to turn on and a few seconds later it should turn off. Start there and get back to us

Tom

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Turn the key foward to the on position but don't start it... Listen for the fuel pump to turn on and a few seconds later it should turn off. Start there and get back to us

Tom

I can't hear it. I know what it sounds like becuase it is pretty audible at times.

It's also raining outside. ):

TomsSVX 10-02-2006 04:50 PM

then grab a can of Ether(starter fluid) and spray it into your intake, If it fires for a second, then that means you have a fuel issue. If not, it is probobly spark

Tom

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
then grab a can of Ether(starter fluid) and spray it into your intake, If it fires for a second, then that means you have a fuel issue. If not, it is probobly spark

Tom

Can I substitute anything for starter fluid?
MAF cleaner, WD? D:

TomsSVX 10-02-2006 04:55 PM

wd40 and MAf cleaner will not help, infact they will choke the engine. Just make sure the fuel pump is working, try removing the access plate (behind back seat in front of trunk on the floor under the carpet) then try to turn the key and listen to the pump... I have a bad feeling yours just isn;t working

Tom

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 05:06 PM

I took off the cover and turned the key. I put my ear right next to the pump and all I heard was a high pitched whirring noise.

I also didn't realize it would be exposed to the outside. :S

TomsSVX 10-02-2006 05:12 PM

try and take a sound clip of the fuel tank right there and post it. Need sound before, during, and after the key is turned on. Make it like 45 seconds or so

Tom

NikFu S. 10-02-2006 05:22 PM

45 is impossible but I think this is plenty long. Everything is done within 10 seconds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...h_fuelpump.jpg