The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help removing the flex plate bolts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33138)

Hocrest 05-09-2006 05:37 PM

Need help removing the flex plate bolts

I'm in the process of putting another engine and trans in my pearly. The engine went in yesterday. While under the car today, getting ready to install the trans, I noticed that the flexplate was cracked.

I figure no big deal, but the damn bolts are on so tight that I have rounded corners using a 6 point socket and cracked a socket using a breaker bar:confused: :mad:

I started soaking them down with PB Blaster this afternoon, I'll soak them again later tonight and try to get them loose again tomorrow. If the overnight soak doesn't work what is the next step to get these bastards out??? I still have the crane handy and the engine can come back out with little work.

Speedklix 05-09-2006 06:12 PM

That sucks.

This is a good example to everyone else why we should never use thread locker on em.

I'd say heat em up, but I'm not sure what that would do to the seal.

I can't believe you rounded a 6 point! Was it a hardend?

Hocrest 05-09-2006 07:17 PM

If I take a torch to them, I realize it would probably affect the rear main seal, would it hurt anything else??

Myetball 05-09-2006 08:56 PM

Flywheel and torque plate bolts can be a real pain since the heads are so short. The problem with most sockets and box end wrenches is the angled area above the actual grip area. This only allows a small amount of contact with the head of the bolts. One way that may help you out is to go out and buy an individual impact socket, preferably 1/2" drive, and modify it like in this picture.

http://bb.1asphost.com/Myetball/SVX/...lateSocket.bmp

Speedklix 05-09-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
If I take a torch to them, I realize it would probably affect the rear main seal, would it hurt anything else??

Don't think it would harm the crank. Oil comes to mind. It would be absolout last resort, and I'd do it out of the car.

I wonder if myetballs' contact idea will do the trick with an impact socket. Assuming it is all of them, and not just one or two giving you a problem.

Hocrest 05-09-2006 09:45 PM

I'll grind down a socket and try that first, I was noticing that the socket was having trouble staying "flat" against the nut.

Any other tips? Impact wrench or Breaker bar??

And yeah, it is all of them :(

Speedklix 05-09-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
And yeah, it is all of them :(

Well, that means there is more of a chance that they are just really tight and not worse (don't want to even say it)

I use an impact wrench to break my fly/flex bolts free.
Sometimes when I'm in a jam I turn the regulator a bit over spec (my impact gun sucks anyway). If that doesn't work, breaker bar and big pipe come out.

huck369 05-10-2006 05:39 AM

The flat ended socket, and an impact wrench is the ticket...

If you have to heat them up with a torch, go ahead and replace the rear main while the flexplate is off (not a bad ideal even if you DON'T heat them up)

So Dave,are you about ready for the Dragon Alcyone Meet?

Hocrest 05-10-2006 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
So Dave,are you about ready for the Dragon Alcyone Meet?

If these eight bolts decide become agreeable, yeah I'll be ready :D

Hocrest 05-10-2006 08:33 AM

Six down, Two to go:rolleyes:

The bad news;
The last two have been rounded off using a 6 point impact socket:mad:

The good news;
They are opposite each other, so my plan is to cut the heads off, that will leave six bolts holding the flex plate on, three, hole, three, hole

Any thoughts???

Suby Fan 05-10-2006 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix
That sucks.

This is a good example to everyone else why we should never use thread locker on em.

I'd say heat em up, but I'm not sure what that would do to the seal.

I can't believe you rounded a 6 point! Was it a hardend?

yes you should use thred locker on them you will be replacing the flywheel when the bolts come loose and crack it... it happend to me (i was gone and my dad blew up my tranny and the people that replaced it didn't use tread locker)... they pulled my tranny out twice

P.S. for your striped head bolt problem buy a snap on socket they have flank drive its amazing

huck369 05-10-2006 09:14 AM

Do you have a welder?

If you do, weld a nut onto the stripped head (weld inside the hole in the nut)
Then it will give you something to get a socket on, plus the heat from welding the nut on, will aide in loosening the bolt.....

Hocrest 05-10-2006 09:19 AM

I don't, but Ben does...

At this point it is sitting until Friday or Saturday, I have an appointment today, and plans tomorrow.

Hocrest 05-12-2006 10:01 AM

WOOOOO ****ING HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I got the last two out. I pulled the engine back out and used a grinder to turn the 14mm rounded heads into 13mm heads and took another rail on them with the impact wrench. I used my cheap impact wrench on them first to prevent twisting the heads off, it's around 140 ft/lbs and it didn't budge them. Then I took my heavy wrench that's rated for over 400 ft/lb and it struggled but pulled them loose. :D:D:D:D

It's a beautiful sunny day (the forecast was for rain and thunderstorms) and things are looking good.

svxfiles 05-12-2006 10:06 AM

Young Tom would have been done by now!!!:D :p