The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cruise control cuts out (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23576)

AFBeefcake 01-02-2005 08:03 PM

cruise control cuts out

Some times when I'm driving with the cruise control on and set to about 65-70. The car will slow down and the speed up. It feels like the cruise control has been shut off and then turned back on.
RPMs drop about 250 and speed drops about 2 mph the is like nothing happend and the car is back to set speed and RPM's.

First I thought it was the torc converter unlocking and then relocking, but it only seems to happen when the cruise control is engaged.

any idears?

Chiketkd 01-02-2005 08:11 PM

Re: cruise control cuts out

Quote:

Originally posted by AFBeefcake
Some times when I'm driving with the cruise control on and set to about 65-70. The car will slow down and the speed up. It feels like the cruise control has been shut off and then turned back on.
RPMs drop about 250 and speed drops about 2 mph the is like nothing happend and the car is back to set speed and RPM's.

First I thought it was the torc converter unlocking and then relocking, but it only seems to happen when the cruise control is engaged.

any idears?

I have an idea of what it could be.

Have you ever done the throttle cable tightening mod/ maintenance? There are two cables under your H-6 cover. One cable opens both throttle bodies and is linked to the accelerator pedal. The other is for the cruise control system and opens just one (I think).

Either way, if your cruise control cable is loose, the cruising mph will fall off a bit, before the cruise control throttle cable tightens and opens the throttle body again.

-Chike

P.S. A while back I posted a thread titled 'Newest Free Mod.' In that thread, I give instructions with pics on how to tighten the throttle cables.

AFBeefcake 01-02-2005 08:32 PM

I'll have to check that. I have removed both cables a couple times before. So they mite not be tight.

michael 01-02-2005 09:01 PM

were you going down a hill? It might have just took a little while to realize you were under the set speed. If this is not the case check for a vacuum leak on the firewall.

AFBeefcake 01-02-2005 09:12 PM

No I was on a flat high way, and its has hapend a number of times on a number of different high ways.

lee 01-02-2005 09:29 PM

The Alldata CD I have says the variation is in spec for +/- 2 MPH (3 KPH). But if it exceeds that, they suggest a check of the vacuum actuator system for sticking; however they fail to say how to accomplish that test.

I can send you their whole flow, but it definitely branches at the 2MPH variation path and only shows one possible cause.