The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front fender (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6538)

Gary 10-20-2002 04:09 PM

Front fender

I am in need of some technical assistance. The passenger front fender needs to be removed and replaced. Can anyone shed some light on how difficult it is to R/R . The repair manual I have shows a bolt pattern. I am on a mission to find a Barcelona Red fender if at all possible. Any assistance,advise would be appreciated.

svx_commuter 10-21-2002 05:14 AM

I haven't done a fender removal but it doesnot look real hard. Do you have a service manual? I believe it tells you how to this. The plastic fender well liner around the wheel has to come off. There is a fastener in there to the frame that comes off. A couple of bolts at the bottom of the fender by the door. I think the bumper jacket has to come off but I am not sure.

huck369 10-21-2002 05:42 AM

Also the front ground effects have to come off(the lower part of the fender and under the door) to get to some of the bolts.
The ground effects are partially held on with several styles of plastic clips...do yourself a favor and pre-order these as at least some of them will break,...better to have all new ones anyway.
The Bumper cover has one bolt that goes up into the fender at the very back point(of the bumper), and there is one or two under the side marker light.
But like svx_commuter said remove the inner fender liner first, then then most of it will be more clear. :) :rolleyes: ;)

Pretty sure I didn't have to remove the bumper.....but I have slept since then:D :D

huck369 10-21-2002 05:49 AM

OH yeah,
You might want to just buy a new fender, as I did, it was only $149 + shipping from subaruparts.com, then I had a reputable shop paint it and the mirror for $150 before I installed them, they did a great job,.... matched perfect, and it was NEW, so it had no rust or existing damage.
Just a thought:rolleyes:

benebob 10-21-2002 09:30 AM

Pass side fender

My pass side fender was crunched last year. Tried to find a brilliant red one with no luck but I did find a couple barc. reds at www.car-part.com If you can find one in good condition with a small shipping charge you'd be set, if not a new one is the way to go. Figure about $300-500 installed.

Gary 10-21-2002 07:09 PM

Front fender

SVX_Commuter,Huck-369 and Benebob,

Thanks to all of you for your advise and recommendations.
I have several choices:

New fender $150 plus freight plus paint
Used fender $75-$175 plus freight and paint. Some of the fenders may be the right color so I might save the cost of paint.

I will tackle the labor as a new learning experience.

Thanks again

svx_commuter 10-22-2002 07:51 AM

Your welcome:)
And another thought for you:) You may want to get a few of the bolts that hold the jacket to the bumper. 10mm head Similar to what Huck said about the plastic fasteners, a few of the bolts may shear off when removed. It happened to me But I didn't replace them. A tap would be needed too.

pnyklr 10-18-2005 06:34 PM

What specific clips would I need that might/would break

I hate to order from Subaruparts.com it will probably take me 2 weeks or more to get the stuff though

http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i540-A.gif

Also what is the part # of the clips especially what holds in the ground effect

and how do I get the ground effect off?

Thanks

kuoh 10-18-2005 06:53 PM

Yet you have no problems using their site for looking up info. If it'll take them 2 weeks to get it to you, it'll probably take everyone else the same amount of time. If it's not a part that the factory warehouse has in stock, it'll have to be shipped from Japan no matter who you order it from.

Still, it may not be as bad as you think. I ordered every single part of the front strut and spring and it took them slightly less than a week to get it all to me.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnyklr
I hate to order from Subaruparts.com it will probably take me 2 weeks or more to get the stuff though