The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60212)

James Scott 07-12-2012 01:25 PM

Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ??

Yesterday, it was 109 degrees here in beautiful Fresno, CA!

Coming home from work.. at about 105 degrees.. suddenly my AC started to spew hot air! :barf: I wondered about the AC compressor.. but left it off til home 20 minutes later. Checked the overflow coolant reservoir.. bubbles coming up into the overflow container! Noticed a lotta bugs in my radiator.. so cleaned as much as possible with simple green and high-pressure hose nozzle..

This morning.. overflow reservoir was full to high mark with green coolant water (?).. Opened radiator cap.. water looked almost clear, some junk in it.. maybe from head gasket compression leak?? .. My oil level was down about one quart (hadn't checked for 2-3 months?)..

AC and engine worked OK to go to work this morn.. at 86 degrees temp..

This smells of head gasket.. Huh? I had driver side done about 5 years ago .. Hmmm?

Well.. this is a real bad time for me.. since I'm trying to finish a fairly intense restoration/major tuneup on my 308GT4 Dino.. for annual car show in Monterey on August 17!

SOOOoooo!? Shud I get a short block? Rebuilt? HELP! ??? :eek:

Thanks, Jim :mad:

smc 07-12-2012 01:40 PM

Re: Head Gasket? .. Engine rebuild.. ??

A quick test to see if your getting combustion gasses in your coolant via a head gasket: Smell the coolant. If its bubbling into the overflow tank, give it a sniff as well as *when its cold* pop the cap on the radiator and do the same. If it smells like exhaust or gasoline, then regretfully you have a bad head gasket. This will lead to your radiator blowing all of its coolant into the overflow tank in a short time, like a few days. Pop the cap when your car is cold and see if the radiator is loosing a lot of coolant. Its a tell tail sign.

Head gaskets are not too bad. Just time consuming. You just need an engine lift and a good solid weekend of time.

svxcess 07-12-2012 03:46 PM

It most likely is a head gasket, but not necessarily. I replaced them in my 96 at 120,000.

A bad radiator cap will let excess coolant flow into the reservoir when the engine is not, but not allow it to be drawn back into the radiator when it cools down.

Also the possibility that you have sediment that has collected in the bottom of your reservoir tank. Coolant goes in under pressure and bubbles through the sediment. When the engine cools down, there is not enough vacuum to draw the coolant back through the sediment.

I would check or replace the radiator cap and pull the reservoir tank and clean it and blow some compressed air through it in case there is a clog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 707983)
This smells of head gasket.. Huh? I had driver side done about 5 years ago... Hmmm?

You took the engine apart and you only did one side? :confused:

Blacky 07-12-2012 04:43 PM

I think it just overheated. My '92 did the same thing until I put the proper rad in it. The guy that sold it to me had rigged a used legacy rad which wasn't up to the task when it was hot out.

Darren 07-12-2012 04:47 PM

You could just take it to a garage and get them to do a chemical test on the coolant and know 100% for sure, most places do it for free in the UK...they want the work if it's a head gasket job.

James Scott 07-12-2012 05:39 PM

Yah! I've been wondering about that radiator cap.. I just got one!
I'll check the bottom of the reservoir too.. . :cool:

Thanks, Jim :D

P.S. What about the thermostat? How is that diagnosed.. ? Could that be the problem? :confused:

P.P.S. I'm trying not to smell exhaust in the coolant! It does have an odor beside the coolant smell.. Hmmm? :eek:

James Scott 07-12-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 707993)
You took the engine apart and you only did one side? :confused:

Actually, a Porsche mechanic I trusted.. did the work. Don't remember if both heads were done? I will try to check invoice..

P.S. I'm gonna put Victoria Secret cologne in the reservoir.. to MAKE SURE .. I don't smell exhaust!!!

James Scott 07-18-2012 02:10 PM

I put a new cap.. cleaned mega bugs from the radiator.. It's worked OK for about a week now! .. ?? It does however smell like exhaust in the reservoir and radiator .. :mad: :WTF:

The coolant level is holding OK.. When I open the radiator, the coolant is about 3/4-1 inch low.. ? Seems like it used to be right up to the top?

Can I just drive til oil is milky (fine now?), and/or coolant reservoir gets low.. or radiator gets low ???

If I do head gaskets .. Shouldn't I seriously consider rebuilding .. or swapping for a rebuilt engine?? I have 236K miles!

P.S. DOn't you just really think .. it's healed itself.. and will be just DaNdY from now ON!? :lol:

aust92pearl 07-18-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 708348)
Can I just drive til oil is milky (fine now?), and/or coolant reservoir gets low.. or radiator gets low ???

i tried that :rolleyes: , and it ended up pressurizing the system enough to pop the heater core , which resulted in my feet being sprayed in hot coolant :eek:
got that bypassed and it blew the bottom tank off the rad about a week later :(

i suggest getting it fixed before you end up with more things to replace :rolleyes::rolleyes:

James Scott 07-19-2012 01:55 PM

YIKES! You gave me a huge laugh (sorry for your misery Tho!) with that response.. I GET YOUR POINT! :lol:

aust92pearl 07-20-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 708414)
YIKES! You gave me a huge laugh (sorry for your misery Tho!) with that response.. I GET YOUR POINT! :lol:

hahha , thats what i was aiming for :p
thanks haha
i can laugh about it now but at the time i was just a little scared
doing 100 kph , roundabout is about 200 meters away and i had to put the brakes on while i had a burnt foot and steam is still pouring out of the foot well vent , and windsheild was fogging up to the point where i could not see anything

jeffs92svx 07-21-2012 01:21 AM

i had a small leak on the head gasket on my ford ranger. It was just a work truck so i thought maybe i would try some of that bars head gasket fix. Believe it or not, it worked. It has about 35,000 miles on that fix now. I never thought that stuff would work but they say that the crack where the leak is gets hotter than any other spot and sucks the bars stuff to the hole where it seals it. Maybe give it a try, nothing to lose.

James Scott 07-21-2012 10:58 AM

COOL!
Actually, it does have some BAD side effects.. but doesn't always cause a problem..
It also tends to clog up ALL water passages.. especially in the RaDiAtOr! :eek:

BUT.. I'm thinking about IT!

P.S. You're talking bout that metal (Al?) flakey stuff in a small container.. that you put in the radiator.. RiGhT?

P.P.S. Is the crack you're talking about.. in the gasket? .. or the head?? :confused:

James Scott 08-02-2012 05:12 PM

Seriously thinking about using the Bar's Head Gasket Fix .. I bought a couple weeks ago! Cant find a used low-mileage engine..
With the gaskets, seals, etc that have been suggested with (just a) head gasket replacement.. Subaruparts totals about $347.88!
Hmmm?
Thanks Y'all .. .
Jim :eek:

dragoontwo 08-03-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 709243)
Seriously thinking about using the Bar's Head Gasket Fix .. I bought a couple weeks ago! Cant find a used low-mileage engine..
With the gaskets, seals, etc that have been suggested with (just a) head gasket replacement.. Subaruparts totals about $347.88!
Hmmm?
Thanks Y'all .. .
Jim :eek:

Is this with using the rebuild gasket kit that Subaru has?