The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tranny Temps (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4729)

benebob 07-01-2002 10:16 AM

Tranny Temps

Just took my car to the dealership to get the problem code looked at for the tranny but over the 40 miles I got to see the improvement my B&M 70268 cooler has made. For highway driving the cooler kept the temp around the mid 170's. It did climb to 179 for a bit but not for long before it went back down. Before the cooler it was running in the low to mid 190's for this type of driving. For the last 4 miles of stop and go traffic to get to the dealer it did climb up to 183 degrees. Outside temps on the trip ranged from 85-91 and it was real humid.

Green1995SVX 07-01-2002 11:24 AM

Glad to hear that! Where did you put the sensor for your gauge? Oh, and you should come down to the car gathering at Ollies by Park City Mall next sunday. It was a blast yesterday. Bobby (LagunaBlueByU) came to it too! :)

-Mike

benebob 07-01-2002 12:12 PM

gauge location

I actually haven't looked but I did tell them to put it in the pan away from the inlet from the cooler.

I don't know about this meet thing. I think most people would laugh their asses off about my brat since my svx probably won't be done by then.

Green1995SVX 07-01-2002 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ben-

You should come down. The brat would seriously be a hit!

oh, and if this guy brings his car, you can bring your brat. (see attachment.)

-Mike

Zeppelin 07-01-2002 06:31 PM

Mike, was that the mini mall near the Burger King that we stopped at during the Reading meet?

Green1995SVX 07-01-2002 07:06 PM

Nope, it's not. I have no idea where that was. hehe

-Mike

immortal_suby 07-01-2002 07:10 PM

My tranny and my wife's - both with 2 coolers - will stay at the outside temp + around 100 degrees cruising on the highway - torque converter locked. I can predict the outside temp by it. Traffic is another thing - it is pretty easy to heat it up to 210 on a hot day with a lot of slow crawls from stoplight to stoplight. It loves hard launches and stays cool for those but the 3k rpm slow shifting traffic launches bring the heat up fast with the torque converter slipping through the gears.

kuoh 07-06-2002 09:12 AM

Are those two B&M coolers or the regular tube and fin coolers? I'm about to go and order the B&M because the two Hayden tube and fin coolers I have are just not efficient enough to keep the tranny cool on the hot days. The bad news is, it's probably already too late because the shift surges that usually only happened at high 190+ temps are now starting to happen at low temps too. If I can just get another 6 months out of it. ;-)

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
My tranny and my wife's - both with 2 coolers - will stay at the outside temp + around 100 degrees cruising on the highway - torque converter locked.

immortal_suby 07-06-2002 09:28 AM

One of the coolers is the B&M 70255 stacked plate design - mounted in front of the condenser. The other is a perma-cool 12511 with electric fan - mounted in the wheel well and is the regular tube and fin design.

kuoh 07-06-2002 10:46 AM

Well I just got home with one of the new Hayden's that has the same stacked design as the B&M, since nobody seems to stock the B&M. They didn't have the 11x7 model in stock, so I had to get the 11x9. Hopefully I can get it to fit.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
One of the coolers is the B&M 70255 stacked plate design - mounted in front of the condenser. The other is a perma-cool 12511 with electric fan - mounted in the wheel well and is the regular tube and fin design.

benebob 07-06-2002 03:30 PM

Hey Mike

Maybe I will come down. I haven't even gotten to look at my car for a week now. I'm in withdraw!!! Ford did make one decent Tempo (remember I did say tempo so decent is relative). They shipped over the AWD system for a limited run Tempo but they left the Euro market turbo engine across the pond. Too bad but its not like their market understood what AWD was anyways.

Green1995SVX 07-06-2002 03:42 PM

Re: Hey Mike

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Maybe I will come down. I haven't even gotten to look at my car for a week now. I'm in withdraw!!! Ford did make one decent Tempo (remember I did say tempo so decent is relative). They shipped over the AWD system for a limited run Tempo but they left the Euro market turbo engine across the pond. Too bad but its not like their market understood what AWD was anyways.
OK ben I will add you to the list. :) You're bringing the brat, right?

-Mike

benebob 07-06-2002 07:07 PM

Ollies at 7ish Sunday

Yeah, I'll be in my brat. The SVX is still at the dealer and I absolutely hate my wife's jetta. That doesn't leave me with much else at the moment.

Zeppelin 07-07-2002 10:10 AM

Tranny Temps

I just installed a Flex-a-lite 26,000 GVW cooler (part # 4126) in my car yesterday.. The dimensions are 10"x20"x3/4".I mounted it in series behind the condenser.. I'm now seeing an average of 148-150 highway and 170-175 city. I'm very happy with the results, and it was a cinch to install!

Ron Mummert 07-07-2002 10:27 AM

That's a BIG cooler. Any concerns about wintertime?

Ron.