The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Door panel removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28845)

gmaxum 10-09-2005 11:02 AM

Door panel removal

OK, this might seem pretty simple, but no doubt their will be something I need to know or some special tool before I launch into this. The problem is the window guide pads must be clogged with dirt after sitting on the dealer lot for a year.And I am fairly certain every time I power down the driver window it becomes scored :eek: .
I have perused all the technical forums and how-tos and have not found anything.
Any tips would be appreciated.

ensteele 10-09-2005 12:31 PM

Look in the door pocket and remove the felt at the bottom. You should be able to see 3 screws. Remove them, and also remove the little piece by the door handle that allows it to go through the pannel when you remove it. Lift the door pannel up and you should be able to remove it at that time. Be careful not to get the handle hung up and break the part on the door pannel. Also there are wires that go to the switches and light at the bottom of the door that may need to be unpluged if you are going to remove it all of the way. You will see the felt guides in there. A little wire brush works good to rought them up and make them soft again as well as clean. Good luck. :)

Electrophil 10-09-2005 03:34 PM

I think.... don't remember now, but I think there is also one screw under the door lever. That's the one I broke the first time I took my panel off if I remember correctly.

ensteele 10-09-2005 04:33 PM

Here is a link to the How-To Documents for Repairing the Window Clip , but it will explain how to get the door off. Good Luck. :)

NikFu S. 10-09-2005 04:57 PM

My window has a nice scratch (or group of scratches) from dropping so many times.
I've also taken the door panel off so many times I just threw all the screws into the ash tray.

I recommend leaving them on especially the ones in the handle thingy.

ensteele 10-09-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
My window has a nice scratch (or group of scratches) from dropping so many times.
I've also taken the door panel off so many times I just threw all the screws into the ash tray.

I recommend leaving them on especially the ones in the handle thingy.

The scratches usually occur when there is dirt or sand on the pads. As the window goes up and down, it scratches it.

You can't get the pannel off without taking the screws out of the door pannel, or maybe I don't know what you are meaning. :confused: :confused:

NikFu S. 10-09-2005 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
The scratches usually occur when there is dirt or sand on the pads. As the window goes up and down, it scratches it.
You can't get the pannel off without taking the screws out of the door pannel, or maybe I don't know what you are meaning. :confused: :confused:

When my window holder clip thingy broke I kept trying to fix it and I was going into the door so much I just left the screws out.

It never closed right or easily without the screws holding the panel tight to the door.

gmaxum 10-09-2005 07:49 PM

Another dirty deed done dirt cheap. Yea, I was trying to tug it off before I got the one under the handle. Cleaned the felts up with an old tooth brush.
Also found a bunch of the screws that attach from the underside were loose so I tightened them up as well. It is a pleasure to own a car where excessive cost cutting concerns were not a factor in production.
Next question - I am trying to get the engine code from the method on the 'how to' page. It mentions plug the blue wires into the black connector - which black connector? - there are 2 . One 10 pin (which looks like it should plug into its mate that has one black/blue wire in it) and a 20 pin connector. I'm guessing the bigger one, but can someone please confirm as I'm not about to chance plugging into the wrong one and frying some deeply buried component .... if you know what I mean ;)

ensteele 10-09-2005 09:54 PM

I hope this helps. This is the one that you want to use. The other one changes the temp gauge from deg F to def C. :) :)

gmaxum 10-09-2005 10:49 PM

Thanks Earl - it doesn't get any clearer than that!
I came in and left that post and then I went back to the garage and was gonna put the kick panel back on and I thought no don't bother cause someone will probably get back tonight. You SVX guys are like PGA players (i.e. -these guys are good!)
As it is I have about 3 different things torn apart but I have to stop cause my back is killing me now. Wrestling with an electrical glitch on the wiper washer motor. I think I'll probably have to post that one tomorrow if the solution doesn't come to me when I'm sleeping ....
Thanks everybody for your continued help. This site is really enhancing my SVX experience ...

Earthworm 10-10-2005 12:33 PM

Sorry to say but on a 97 SVX you can't use the howto method to check engine codes. You need to use an OBD2 scanner. The howto covers 92-95 models.

Electrophil 10-10-2005 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Sorry to say but on a 97 SVX you can't use the howto method to check engine codes. You need to use an OBD2 scanner. The howto covers 92-95 models.

So the 96 and 97 models with the OBD2 don't have the codes? You have to buy the scanner? That's messed up!!! :mad:

Are all cars using the OBD2 like that or just Subaru?

Earthworm 10-10-2005 03:46 PM

All cars here use OBD2 now.