The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine Tick (ANNOYING) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20979)

nsm484 08-28-2004 05:49 PM

Engine Tick (ANNOYING)

ok... I am unsure of what is causing this.
First I thought it was a valve tick as my old Legacy had.
However, reading the SVX Manual (cause i was bored...
Hey! Its Good Reading LOL) I found out the H6 has
Valve Lash Adjusters... and that it would tick durring startup, but
then the sound should go away... however.. my tick seems to
get ever so louder everytime i drive it...
sounds like i got 30 little people under my hood hitting my engine
with little hammers at 2000rpm LOL

How much does it cost to get this fixed, how easy is it to do it
myself? :confused: :confused:

michael 08-28-2004 05:58 PM

I get that too sometimes, a nice oil change and some techron seem to quiet the hammer weilding dwarfs. A fill-up with 94 goes well with the techron.

nsm484 08-29-2004 04:42 AM

I never drive with anything less then 94, and I had an oil change 3 weeks after i got it

michael 08-29-2004 05:52 AM

How many miles do you have on it since the last change? Don't forget it's 12 years old it's just my opinion but I think as they get older the break down oil quicker.

Mr. Pockets 08-29-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by michael
How many miles do you have on it since the last change? Don't forget it's 12 years old it's just my opinion but I think as they get older the break down oil quicker.
I don't know about that, but I will agree that as they get older they are going to get older.

I store my SVX all winter, but I do try to go visit it and start it every month or so. Every time I do it's noisy as hell and tales several minutes to quiet down. My theory is that the oil is completely draining and needs to be thoroughly redistributed.

How this might relate to your noises, I don't know. I might be completely wrong. If it were my car, I might suspect the oil pump, though...

immortal_suby 08-29-2004 05:32 PM

Had ticking, used some engine oil cleaner gunk, ticking gone and hasn't come back.

Don't remember the brand, but it was from an auto parts store, and had explicit instructions - put it in, idle for a few minutes, do not rev engine, then drain immediately and change oil. Worked great on both svx's.

nsm484 08-30-2004 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by michael
mabey 1600miles.

nsm484 08-30-2004 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I don't know about that, but I will agree that as they get older they are going to get older.

I store my SVX all winter, but I do try to go visit it and start it every month or so. Every time I do it's noisy as hell and tales several minutes to quiet down. My theory is that the oil is completely draining and needs to be thoroughly redistributed.

How this might relate to your noises, I don't know. I might be completely wrong. If it were my car, I might suspect the oil pump, though...

Well this car has had this tick way before i got it... even the Prev. owner, had this tick, for 2 years, before i even got the car. So it doesnt hurt performace (10.7 1/8mile) however..... its a very
annoying sound :-/

michael 08-30-2004 04:56 AM

Try what immortal-suby tried, lucas makes a pretty good product. What weight oil are you using? I use castrol GTX 10W-40 in the summer it seems to keep things quiet.

nsm484 08-30-2004 05:01 AM

sounds like a good plan to me, immortal_suby, anyway you could look into remembering what you used?

and the oil change was done by my local shop I have been going to for years. they use what subaru recomended... dont ask me what weight it was.. cause i honestly cant remember :confused:

immortal_suby 08-30-2004 05:26 PM

I just picked whatever was on the shelf that said engine oil cleaner treatment - I'll look for it next time I'm in a parts store - I think there were 2 to choose from last time I was there.

Earthworm 09-01-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Had ticking, used some engine oil cleaner gunk, ticking gone and hasn't come back.

Don't remember the brand, but it was from an auto parts store, and had explicit instructions - put it in, idle for a few minutes, do not rev engine, then drain immediately and change oil. Worked great on both svx's.

I've heard of people using ATF for the same purpose. The only difference is they did some spirited driving before changing the oil.

Peach 09-01-2004 10:22 PM

tic

My tic ended with change of flex plate, just a thought. ;)