The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oil pressure light acting funny (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58047)

LastSVXintheChi 08-14-2011 09:10 PM

Oil pressure light acting funny

Ok so heres the dealio....i have a 92 LS with 135000 miles and I have been noticing that when the car is hot and I am sitting in park, ussually, the oil pressure light flickers on and off when the idle drops down to around 750-500 but when I step on the gas a little bit it goes away...it doesnt do it when its cold or when im sitting at a light....

What could be wrong? I thought it might be an electrical fluke cus my abs light comes on randomly but goes off when I turn the car off and back on...but I can make it go away when I give it gas....

Thanks in advance

Green1995SVX 08-14-2011 10:36 PM

Re: Oil pressure light acting funny

Not to insult you, but have you checked the oil recently?

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 683998)
Not to insult you, but have you checked the oil recently?

Yes I have checked the oil lol it was only slightly low nothing major

1986nate 08-15-2011 08:58 AM

Chances are, some things are getting tired. The SVX runs at crazy low oil pressures at idle. Can't remember how many psi, but it's around 10, possibly 8 even if my memory serves correct. It going off just off idle makes sense as the oil pump then turns faster and pumps more oil.

(I've had oil 3 quarts low in my silver and never had the light come on or an issue)
And before you get on me about checking my oil, my silver has piston slap(that way when I bought it after I fixed the exhaust leak :( ), I'm waiting for the engine to blow up, It has a clogged PCV and pisses oil out of every seal, I add oil when I need to and haven't changed the filter closing in on 3 years now. It still runs, and lives, has just as much power as any of my others and I still beat the piss out of it :D

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 10:08 AM

That sound like code for you need a new oil pump :confused: lol

dcarrb 08-15-2011 10:24 AM

I'd replace the oil pressure sending unit.

dcb

Huskymaniac 08-15-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 684026)
I'd replace the oil pressure sending unit.

dcb

I would listen to this guy.

And then I might start using better oil and changing it more often. But only if the old sender comes out looking like it is covered in gunk. Actually, if that is the case, you might want to go through the Auto-RX treatment cycle before doing a changeover to new oil and filter.

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 684028)
I would listen to this guy.

And then I might start using better oil and changing it more often. But only if the old sender comes out looking like it is covered in gunk. Actually, if that is the case, you might want to go through the Auto-RX treatment cycle before doing a changeover to new oil and filter.

i do use good oil when i do my own oil changes...i use Mobil or Valvoline mostly Valvoline and i use the expensive fram filter the "heavy Duty" one...but the last couple times i have just gone to Firestone and had the oil changed...they use Kendall...

how much is it to replace the sending unit?

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 11:34 AM

oh and would this possibly be called an oil pressure valve???

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 03:44 PM

New symptom!!!

It now does it whilebsitting in traffic I added oil today too but I noticed that the rpms are at like 600 or so when the light comes on...but when the car is moving and the idle is in the same spot it DOESNT do it :confused: whats does this mean??

oab_au 08-15-2011 06:03 PM

Jared I would just replace the oil pressure switch. It is cheap and easy to do. It is located on the top front of the engine beside the alternator. See if that fixes it.

Harvey.

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 684048)
Jared I would just replace the oil pressure switch. It is cheap and easy to do. It is located on the top front of the engine beside the alternator. See if that fixes it.

Harvey.

Im pretty sure that I had that replaced already because I had so real loud belts before and my mechanic said the oil "pressure switch" was leaking on them and he replaced it thats why I asked if it might be called that too...if it is then it has already been changed

Huskymaniac 08-15-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi (Post 684054)
Im pretty sure that I had that replaced already because I had so real loud belts before and my mechanic said the oil "pressure switch" was leaking on them and he replaced it thats why I asked if it might be called that too...if it is then it has already been changed

BIG question here. Did he replace it with a GENUINE subaru replacement part from a dealer or did he get an aftermarket part? My aftermarket temp sender for the coolant gauge, for example, was way off and I had to get a genuine Subaru part.

msvx95 08-15-2011 08:29 PM

+1 get the genuine OEM part through your subaru dealer. I believe it uses the same one as a Legacy and they should have them in stock for 20 bucks or cheaper.
The aftermarket ones are known to still throw codes.

LastSVXintheChi 08-15-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95 (Post 684061)
+1 get the genuine OEM part through your subaru dealer. I believe it uses the same one as a Legacy and they should have them in stock for 20 bucks or cheaper.
The aftermarket ones are known to still throw codes.

Oh **** idk...i had it done at firestne and they dont ussually use new parts they go the cheap route so mostly remain parts and it was only like 80 bucks to have it done...so probabky not