The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Windshield tint color (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55182)

icingdeath88 08-02-2010 01:08 PM

Windshield tint color

Almost every time glass is discussed, the tint color is mentioned. How important is it that the color actually match? I can't even tell what color mine is. (I believe it's supposed to be bronze). Anyone ever used a windshield that was the "wrong" color?

Sean486 08-02-2010 01:56 PM

Re: Windshield tint color

1 Attachment(s)
This car in this picture has a bronze windshield and blue glass on the door. It is not that noticable to me, but it would probably bother me after a while. See how it does not match the rear window or windshield? If it were only the windshield I imagine it would be less noticeable.

kwren 08-02-2010 08:01 PM

The overall appearance of the car will easily distract from any difference in the color of the glass! I would say you are home free.:lol:
Keith:cool:

Lookin4SVX 08-03-2010 01:25 AM

My 92 has bronze windshield and blue everything else. Previous owner had windshield replaced..
Yes it is noticeable.

Really stands out on overcast days as pictured below:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/a...eenDesktop.jpg

I am eventually going to tint the other windows with a black tint so it looks less blue. Its either that or put in all bronze glass on the rest of the windows...

NeedForSpeed 08-03-2010 08:11 AM

Both US Pearl 92s both have blue glass,
Our US Claret has bronze glass
The JDM Pearl has green glass :cool:

Mike621 08-03-2010 09:53 AM

I recently had a new OEM windshield installed in my Claret. Bronze is no longer available. I don't miss all the road wear that made my windshield almost opaque in the sunlight.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1280850705

Cam 08-03-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 654186)
I recently had a new OEM windshield installed in my Claret. Bronze is no longer available. I don't miss all the road wear that made my windshield almost opaque in the sunlight.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1280850705

Is that blue Mike?

Mike621 08-03-2010 09:55 AM

Cam,

It is a standard green tint (as most auto glass is), with blue sunshade.

Cam 08-03-2010 09:58 AM

It does not look bad, really. I think if all the other glass was tinted, there is no way you could tell between an original windshield and a replacement of a different color.

Mike621 08-03-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 654189)
It does not look bad, really. I think if all the other glass was tinted, there is no way you could tell between an original windshield and a replacement of a different color.

Thanks Cam,

I agree that tint *could* help, but window tint is not legal in NJ on the front windows, and omitting them during a tint job is not in good taste (for our cars). Additionally, I feel that keeping the bronze glass and tan interior visible on my car in particular enables the gold wheels to tie in nicely with the interior.

I cannot say that I have not thought about tinting the whole car, though, as I would like to keep it cooler/protect the interior, but alas other pressing issues come first :lol:.

Cam 08-03-2010 10:07 AM

How illegal is it? It is illegal to have below(or above???) a certain percentage here, but it is easy to get away with.

Mike621 08-03-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 654192)
How illegal is it? It is illegal to have below(or above???) a certain percentage here, but it is easy to get away with.

I have seen motorists dealt tickets for tint in a similar fashion to those with expired inspection stickers or lack of seatbelt. All of the aforementioned offenses are on a similar tier.

"New Jersey Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER NEW JERSEY RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law."

Cam 08-03-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 654193)
State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law."

This seems kind of funny to me...but what medical reasons could you have for having tint?

Mike621 08-03-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 654194)
This seems kind of funny to me...but what medical reasons could you have for having tint?

I would guess sensitivity to light could be a reason.

processengr 08-03-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 654194)

Rose color tint for chronic depression?:lol: