The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mysterious 'clunk' from front end (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51098)

BRADY 07-28-2009 10:20 PM

Mysterious 'clunk' from front end

Hello SVX lovers.

MY SVX has just started making a clunking sound from around the front left (passenger side). My car is RHD.

Could this be bushings? Or could it be a bit of play in the steering rack?

Rock on.

SoCal LS-L 07-28-2009 10:27 PM

Re: Mysterious 'clunk' from front end

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADY (Post 611543)
Hello SVX lovers.

MY SVX has just started making a clunking sound from around the front left (passenger side). My car is RHD.

Rock on.

I would suspect the ball joints, lift that wheel in the air and try to shake it up and down/side to side and see if theres any play.

BRADY 07-28-2009 10:41 PM

Thanks man.

There does seem to be a little play.

dcarrb 07-29-2009 05:43 AM

I'll bet you've lost a sway bar bushing. Simple fix; check that first.

dcb

want-a-fast-svx 07-29-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 611566)
I'll bet you've lost a sway bar bushing. Simple fix; check that first.

dcb

+1 on that

Wikedjuggalo 07-29-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADY (Post 611543)
Hello SVX lovers.

Rock on.

Is the noise constant or only when going around a corner or over bumps? A little more detail on the noise can help :)

BRADY 07-29-2009 08:49 PM

It clunks during cornering and going over bumps. It seems to be coming from one side in particular.

My SVX is due for a new set of bushings and rubbers.

The suggestion that it may be the SWAY BAR bushing sounds valid!

I will take it to a suspension place very soon.

Cheers!

want-a-fast-svx 07-30-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADY (Post 611641)
It clunks during cornering and going over bumps. It seems to be coming from one side in particular.

My SVX is due for a new set of bushings and rubbers.

The suggestion that it may be the SWAY BAR bushing sounds valid!

I will take it to a suspension place very soon.

Cheers!

Very very easy to replace and if not replace at least check yourself. Jack the front of the car up and look at the sway bar in the front of the car on the problem side. Where it attaches to the frame you will see the rubber is probably all busting out the sides or non existent. Two bolts are all the hold it on. Not hard to replace at all. At least if you check and know its bad you can go in saying you know whats wrong and sound like you know what you are talking about. That way you don't end up with an outrageous price quote for a bunch of stuff you dont really need. Sad to say people do this but its a reality. Just a thought.

BRADY 08-22-2009 06:27 AM

I am finding it quite challenging to source sway bar bushings here in Australia.

Any Aussies have this problem?

Should I order from the US of A?

dcarrb 08-22-2009 08:23 AM

I struck out at a couple of local aftermarket outlets before ordering from Subaru. Seems a dealer there should be able to order them for you.

dcb

aust92pearl 08-22-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 614660)
a dealer there should be able to order them for you.

dcb

thats what i thought until the local dealer near me said they CANNOT get an "iris check valve " in for me (even tho they told me a few days earlier that they were ordering one and it would be there in a few days :rolleyes: ) , and i would have to either fit an aftermarket one or order one from outside australia plus they wanted $52 au ($43 us) so i ordered one from svxfiles website and it cost me exactly half what the dealer wanted with shipping and all :D

BRADY 08-29-2009 04:39 AM

Hmmm.

I purchased new bushings - put the car on jackstand, only to find that my bushings are ok.

So, I still don't know where the rattle is coming from!!

I bashed away at the exhaust manifold and other suspension pieces while I had the plastic stone guard off the under part of the engine - no definitive answer....

What other parts are likely to make a metallic sounding rattle whilst going over rough roads etc?????????

Mike

JDW-SVX 08-30-2009 12:27 AM

I have a suggestion......

My SVX had a very loud clunking noise, which sounded as if it was coming from somewhere in the suspension on the driver's side. Initially, it would only occur on rough roads, but it got so bad that the noise would occur almost every time the suspension moved!

:eek:

I could also feel something moving around in the suspension when the noise occured.

I finally traced it to a loose bolt that secures the vertical anti-roll bar link (the small link with a ball joint on each end) to the strut on the driver's side. The mounting location on the strut is a slotted hole, so that if the bolt is loose, it will move up and down within that hole and make a loud clunking noise.

I tightened the bolt - problem solved!

:D

...........this may be what you are experiencing.........!

:confused:

Jason.

want-a-fast-svx 09-02-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADY (Post 615573)
Hmmm.

I purchased new bushings - put the car on jackstand, only to find that my bushings are ok.

So, I still don't know where the rattle is coming from!!

I bashed away at the exhaust manifold and other suspension pieces while I had the plastic stone guard off the under part of the engine - no definitive answer....

What other parts are likely to make a metallic sounding rattle whilst going over rough roads etc?????????

Mike

wow that sux sorry you had to buy them first. I know when the struts rubber piece on top fails that it can make some noise. Could be something to check. Looks like you might want to get under the car and check/ tighten any bolts you see.

msvx95 09-02-2009 06:18 PM

Jason, do you have a picture or diagram of the loose bolt you are talking about? I'm really interested in this as I have sway bar bushings on order.
Isn't this part you speak of considered an end link?