The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rebuilt half shafts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59470)

tiv0 03-21-2012 01:33 PM

Rebuilt half shafts

Does anyone know of a reliable source for rebuilt half shafts?

My two front outer CV boots are torn and I'm looking to replace the entire front half shaft assemblies as opposed to just the boots themselves since you have to remove the axles anyway.

I've done some searching on these forums and have read many reviews of people recommending Raxles.com. I gave them a call and spoke with Marty, he claims they don't do anything for SVXs. I've also read that auto parts stores like AutoZone and AdvanceAutoParts sell rebuilt assemblies but from the reviews I've read on their websites the quality of parts they use are far from good.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wikedjuggalo 03-21-2012 01:56 PM

Re: Rebuilt half shafts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 700195)
Does anyone know of a reliable source for rebuilt half shafts?

My two front outer CV boots are torn and I'm looking to replace the entire front half shaft assemblies as opposed to just the boots themselves since you have to remove the axles anyway.

I've done some searching on these forums and have read many reviews of people recommending Raxles.com. I gave them a call and spoke with Marty, he claims they don't do anything for SVXs. I've also read that auto parts stores like AutoZone and AdvanceAutoParts sell rebuilt assemblies but from the reviews I've read on their websites the quality of parts they use are far from good.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I just replaced both fronts. Autozone ones I got (FWD had less deposit, matched right up no difference that I could see or confirm). I don't see an issue with it and I can provide comparison photos. Good choice on replacing the CV complete not just boots. I got mine for 60 dollars plus 25 dollar core deposit. I am in the process of doing a proper write up since the one in the How-To's was not very clear.

tiv0 03-21-2012 02:18 PM

Any comments on the quality of the boot rubber? The reviews on their site imply they are made of cheap rubber than ends up ripping again in a few month.

92snowmachine 03-21-2012 02:34 PM

i bought mine at napa. i think they were around $90 a piece with the core deposit (kept the old ones). they have neoprene boots and a good warranty. it seems autozone is hit or miss with axles because like most retailers (including napa) they don't actually rebuild them but rely on their vendors. since autozone insists on being the cheapest price in town they also seek out rebuilders who are the same.

Green1995SVX 03-21-2012 04:38 PM

I have the 100% new chinese ones on my svx, and hate them. They have made noise since day one, and both of my front wheel bearings failed within 1000 miles of installing them. I think the area beyond the bearing flange to the threaded portion of the end is too long, causing there to not be a firm seat with the bearing, allowing movement.

I'm going back to OEM before I drive my car again.

Wikedjuggalo 03-21-2012 05:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 700203)
Any comments on the quality of the boot rubber? The reviews on their site imply they are made of cheap rubber than ends up ripping again in a few month.

I didn't seem any difference. They have a lifetime warranty (whatever that covers) and honestly I am fine with them. I could not find a place (besides subaru) that had new axles.

*Correction* Seems Advance Auto (none around here so didn't shop there) has new "GPS" ones but apparently they are horrid? I am reading the reviews, I guess these are the ones you got Mike?

But if you dare brave it you can get both axles shipped to your place for 118 no core and also free shipping (using MA100 code).

I really didn't see a difference in the rubber, felt the same and looked about the same.
New Axle

Bad axle

bad boot again

I had the inner boots wear not the outer.

tiv0 04-04-2012 03:16 PM

Just to wrap up this thread...

I ended up buying rebuild half shafts from Carquest Auto Parts. They were ~$70 apiece with a lifetime warranty. Drove 1400 miles on them after installation and experienced no issues whatsoever.

svxcess 04-04-2012 04:30 PM

Evey axle I have ever bought for the SVX I have gotten from http://www.raxles.com/

A lifetime warranty and never had a failure or problem with any component.

The same from any member who I have recommended them to. Their commitment to excellence and service is in the same league as Maniac Electric for alternators