The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   with or without a resonator (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51017)

Gamesy 07-20-2009 08:50 PM

with or without a resonator

i know the resonator is to help supress the sound of the car but it already comes with the biggest muffler i've ever seen, how much louder does the car get if you remove the resonator?

Crazy_pilot 07-20-2009 08:59 PM

Re: with or without a resonator

My resonator developed a really nasty rattle, so I cut it out and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe. The car isn't significantly louder, but it does have more resonance to it at certain RPMs that can be a bit annoying.

Gamesy 07-20-2009 09:06 PM

ok kool, was the rattle sound like 2 pieces of thin metal vibrating against eachother? case i wasnt sure if its my bent up exhaust hanger or i thought my cat might be falling apart on the inside like my friend's MR2. we now call it a HI-FLOW cat :P

Green1995SVX 07-20-2009 09:44 PM

The rattle sounds like BZZZZAAAATT.

That's the best I could do, by the way. I don't like the way it sounds with no resonator.

Sean486 07-21-2009 04:35 AM

I always thought my exhaust sounded a bit weird, turned out I have no resonator. One of the previous owners must have removed it. It is not louder but it is a higher pitch, to me it doesn't sound right at all. Not so bad that I need to do anything about it, but still everytime I listen for it I know it could sound better.

Manarius 07-21-2009 04:43 AM

From what I understand, you can get away with the resonator delete as long as you don't have the stock muffler. The resonator slowed down the exhaust enough that the muffler could deal with the speed. Otherwise, it's flowing so fast that it causes the car to sound funny. My car has the resonator delete so I should really change mufflers...

subeman90 07-21-2009 09:06 AM

I have no idea what these guys are talking about with the funny noises but I will tell you that I had mine removed about 3 months ago b/c it sounded like maracas (but not as bad as Hocrest's car) and it was the best $64 I have spent on the car yet. I have to say that after having it done I was smitten all the way home. :D:cool:

NiftySVX 07-21-2009 03:29 PM

I had my resonator removed after i tried three different used parts with no luck. I should have bought a new one. The car is slightly louder at idle especially and I noticed immediatly that i can now hear the exhaust at all times. One of my favorite things about the SVX was how amazingly quiet it is when it is working properly. I think they spent a great deal of time on this and has alot to do with why the engine has the cams it has in it, and why the final drive ratio is so short. I plan on replacing it in some fashion once I get my other kinks worked out.

AppStateSVX 07-21-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 610426)
From what I understand, you can get away with the resonator delete as long as you don't have the stock muffler. The resonator slowed down the exhaust enough that the muffler could deal with the speed. Otherwise, it's flowing so fast that it causes the car to sound funny. My car has the resonator delete so I should really change mufflers...

say what???

msvx95 07-22-2009 05:00 AM

I had my resonator removed a year ago and replaced with a straight pipe all under 30 dollars. The car sounds fine to me, it's not any louder.

svxash 07-22-2009 01:05 PM

I had mine replaced with a piece of straight pipe and have had no issues with it since. The buzzing sound drove me nuts!!

tiv0 07-22-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxash (Post 610631)
I had mine replaced with a piece of straight pipe and have had no issues with it since. The buzzing sound drove me nuts!!

same here

i will say the exhaust was slightly louder, almost a little more growly; especially at idle

subeman90 07-22-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 610633)
i will say the exhaust was slightly louder, almost a little more growly; especially at idle

sounds cool doesn't it!!!!!!!!:D

K_Dub 04-09-2010 04:19 PM

Funny story:

Knowing that the SoCal meet is just a week away I couldn't bear the thought of my exhaust buzzing the entire way up the parking garage to the roof of the Peterson. Everyone would have heard me coming the whole way. So I swung by a little independent shop down the road from work and asked the guy what his thoughts were about replacing the resonator. He said "we'll take a look." So I walk around the corner to call work and say I'd be a couple minutes late and when I get back the guy had sawed the resonator off and was looking into it.:eek: Within 10 min he'd welded in some straight pipe and was lowering the car.

Keep in mind, I hadn't even requested any work, just asked for an estimate. So I ask him what it'll cost and he said he'd take $50 cash. Well I didn't have any on me, so he said I could just come back and pay him later. I went to the bank, grabbed the money, and headed back (just call me Honest Abe).

I would have preferred a replacement resonator, but for $50 and 15 min I really don't mind the work he did. The welds look great! It's got a bit more growl than before, but compared to the buzz it sounds like a million bucks. I haven't had a chance to open her up yet and hear the full range. I know it's no Stebro, but you get what you pay for (even if you never asked for it in the first place).:rolleyes:

macadamianut 04-16-2010 02:12 PM

+1 without.

I thought my rattles were coming from the resonator so I had it removed and added straight section in place. I do like the Stebro muffler w/o the resonator. There is a particular range that drones a bit, but overall a nice throaty sound.

I was hoping to get a higher pitched, more raspy note. Came close.