The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car Detailing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18605)

Crash 05-12-2004 12:48 AM

Car Detailing

Today it was warm, sunny and I was off! Rarely all three coincide. So decided to clean my car. 10 hours, a steamcleaner, two bottles of leather treatment, and enough resolve and armourall to drown man I am finished. Now my question. How long does it take the rest of you to truly DETAIL your cars?

Bwana 05-12-2004 08:14 AM

I do it as a side job, and it takes me 5-6 hours for a normal-sized car.

I'm probably quitting my REAL job so I can detail more. I make my whole paycheck doing 2 cars, and if I quit my job, I could do more then 1 car a week. :D

Chiketkd 05-12-2004 09:23 AM

I'm no professional detailer, but it takes me about 3-4 hours to really clean & detail my car inside and out. I know a professional would probably do an even better job, but I'm happy with the results! :D

-Chike

tancred 05-12-2004 02:58 PM

I just give them the 150 bucks and let them play with it...
Im not much into cleaning, i cant wax a car to save my life, always have wax in funny places that stays for months...lol....so i quit..

Jamsvx 05-12-2004 03:32 PM

Took me about 2 days to do mine when I had it, but that is with multiple step cleaning products (paint cleaner, polish and then wax) together with such maniac things as using cotton buds (not sure what you call them o/seas....things to clean your ears with) to clean in under the swivelling air vents!!

:rolleyes:

But the car looked the better for it!!

JLittell 05-12-2004 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About 30 seconds...
:D

Chiketkd 05-12-2004 04:01 PM

CUTE! :D
Quote:

Originally posted by JLittell
About 30 seconds...
:D

ensteele 05-12-2004 10:44 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: John - did you put your model together? I didn't hear you mention it before. :)

ensteele 05-12-2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana
I do it as a side job, and it takes me 5-6 hours for a normal-sized car.

I'm probably quitting my REAL job so I can detail more. I make my whole paycheck doing 2 cars, and if I quit my job, I could do more then 1 car a week. :D

Do you do it by the hour, or by the job? It takes me a day to make it look good and do most of it. It seems like I am always detailing. :)

JLittell 05-12-2004 10:52 PM

Earl, You know better than that!! Geez... It's still in my top drawer in my nightstand... I think it looks better in the box...unpainted! :D

There has to be a motivating factor with those SVX models... Maybe we can compete?? :rolleyes: YES! a contest for those who are highly unmotivated people like you and I!! ;)

ensteele 05-12-2004 10:56 PM

That sounds great! A contest!!! Maybe we can talk about it next year sometime. :D :D :D

JLittell 05-12-2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

That sounds great! A contest!!! Maybe we can talk about it next year sometime.
Nope! I'm busy for at least the next 5! :D

**Sorry for the hijack people!**:cool:

Bwana 05-12-2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele

Do you do it by the hour, or by the job? It takes me a day to make it look good and do most of it. It seems like I am always detailing. :)

By the job. For a normal-sized car, which is in decent shape, I charge around $120, might be uping it a little this summer though.
And I'm also working with a partner this summer, splitting 50/50. I dont think I'll need a "real" summer job :D .

deruvian 05-13-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana

By the job. For a normal-sized car, which is in decent shape, I charge around $120, might be uping it a little this summer though.
And I'm also working with a partner this summer, splitting 50/50. I dont think I'll need a "real" summer job :D .

So, wait a second. Are you like a travelling detailer? Just walk around and ask if people want their car detailed or what? This sounds interesting, whatever it is... PM me if you're uber-nervous about letting your secret out. :D :rolleyes:

Bwana 05-13-2004 12:41 AM

We are both on NASIOC, and get a lot of the local guys wanting details. I'm also putting out fliers around my neighborhood for the summer.

Got started reading autopia.org, and doing my car, then my parents cars....then moved on to relatives, and then some neighbors...who told friends...etc.

I probably have atleast $500 invested in stuff, and i need to order about $100 more before it starts getting busy when i get off of work.

My "secret" would have to be autopia. :p