The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Were Should I Spend my EG33 Dollars to Kick Ass. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60868)

Dessertrunner 11-14-2012 02:58 PM

Were Should I Spend my EG33 Dollars to Kick Ass.

Okay new thread,
Based on what everyone is saying we need to create a new thread.

What we need to do is set up some sort of if you make this change you will get this much power from your engine. I may not explain myself correctly but here goes.

What we can do is Bazza can create new ECU maps for the different ECU and motor upgrades using my dyno then for a small charge if someone wants to upgrade and add Know spec cams they can then contact Bazza and he can supply new ECU maps to suit. I think as regards the USA we would need to be able to borrow a Hydra or get a secondhand unit. Because Tom has done a heap of work on the the adapter and they plug direct in people will be able to just buy the unit from Tom and load Bazza maps and away they go. They don't have to cut the harness or anything.

My Engine dyno currently has a complete ECU plug and harness fro a SVX so we can just plug them straight in.

What we plan is a Upgrade path for these engines, steps that are from simple to complex.

------ What we would do is take a stock engine run with existing ECU and measure power which creates base line --------

Offer the following upgrades:- (Some of these will come with recomendations that the cooling system for example needs upgrading)

Upgrade 1.
Install the new ECU Hydra or what ever and develop maps that will do things like allow 1,000k higher red line. Improved power.

Upgrade 2.
Change Cams out to new ones, and provide new spec cams. (this is a simple bolt on change, not much work but a big improvement)

Upgrade 3.
Headers improved exhaust flow.

Upgrade 4.
New injectors & airflow meter (new map)

Upgrade 5.
Shaved head & ported.

Anyway you get the idea what we want is that every part that is added at each stage stays through the futher upgrades and that each stage gives a know power increase.

So what do you all think.
Tony

SVXRide 11-14-2012 03:25 PM

Re: Were Should I Spend my EG33 Dollars to Kick Ass.

Tony,

I like it!! Note: the Hydra requires that you dump the stock MAF, as it uses a MAP.

Suggested additions:

1. IRIS always open vs IRIS always closed vs IRIS controlled by ECU/Hydra
2. Changes in intake runner path length
3. Head work - bone stock vs port matching (variant of your #5)
4. Equal length vs unequal length headers (variant of your #3)

Cheers
Bill

TomsSVX 11-15-2012 08:17 AM

Ooooo i really wanted to do this years ago.... subscribed :D

Tom

SVXRide 11-15-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 715631)
Ooooo i really wanted to do this years ago.... subscribed :D

Tom

I remember talking with you about this! :cool:

Hey, call me when you've got a few free minutes. I want to talk to you about the Hydra and control of the IRIS.

Bill

TomsSVX 11-15-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 715642)
I remember talking with you about this! :cool:

Hey, call me when you've got a few free minutes. I want to talk to you about the Hydra and control of the IRIS.

Bill

Yea if i had the cash id have been all over it. Will give u a call tonite

Tom

Dessertrunner 11-15-2012 12:22 PM

Tom how many Hydra have you sold, also what tha cost?
Tony

TomsSVX 11-15-2012 01:18 PM

Havent sold one in years. I think we sold less than 10. Hate to say it but budget builders wont spend the coin for an ems even though no matter how much u spend on a build you will get more bang for your buck with a better ems. I would have to make a call for pricing...

Tom

Dessertrunner 11-15-2012 02:09 PM

Okay so maybe we need to forget Hydra and we will just do our bit with the cams etc. We are not doing it to make money more for people to find out what works and by how much.
Will keep you posted.
Tony

SilverSpear 11-15-2012 02:14 PM

Subscribed :D

TomsSVX 11-16-2012 10:02 AM

I feel the megasquirt ems is going to be a more popular option for many if you want to try that

Tom

icingdeath88 11-16-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 715731)
I feel the megasquirt ems is going to be a more popular option for many if you want to try that

Tom

That's what I'm betting on. Appreciate the vote of confidence.

subarvair 11-19-2012 03:15 PM

I am using an eg33 in a LM Corvair project and would really enjoy being a part of this discussion, although I haven't been on this forum much in the past. You guys have so much more experience than me with this engine.
Mods are: forged pist(11-1 cr), mild cams, equal length long tube headers, ported heads, and megasquirt Ms3/3x.
Finally got it running but still have a small synch problem with the crank signal.
Mike

SVXRide 11-19-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarvair (Post 715927)
I am using an eg33 in a LM Corvair project and would really enjoy being a part of this discussion, although I haven't been on this forum much in the past. You guys have so much more experience than me with this engine.
Mods are: forged pist(11-1 cr), mild cams, equal length long tube headers, ported heads, and megasquirt Ms3/3x.
Finally got it running but still have a small synch problem with the crank signal.
Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the conversation!! Can you provide additional information on your build? Source for pistons and cams? Size/length of headers? How you've got the megasquirt set up? Extent to which you ported the heads?

Thanks.

Bill

Dessertrunner 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

Hi Mike welcome,
You may know this, the crank angle sensor is not at top dead centre, Bazza may jump in and tell us how much its out.
Also on my Wolf ECU we had to put a resister in the circut to clean up the signal coming back from the sensor as it was to dirty for the ECU.
Tony

bazza 11-19-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 715930)
Hi Mike welcome,
You may know this, the crank angle sensor is not at top dead centre, Bazza may jump in and tell us how much its out.
Also on my Wolf ECU we had to put a resister in the circut to clean up the signal coming back from the sensor as it was to dirty for the ECU.
Tony

It's around 60 degrees out. You can calibrate it with a timing light.

My ecu (LinkPlus G3) has in built functions to clean up the signal. Does the Wolf not have this? Also the link supplies it's own ground reference to cam and crank sensors - does the Wolf do this? Could be why you need to run a resistor.