The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone here currently running with a Borla exhaust? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60064)

Subix 06-17-2012 09:20 AM

Anyone here currently running with a Borla exhaust?

If so, what are your feelings on it? I ran across some yt videos of other Subarus with this exhaust setup and it sounded amazing. Although I think part of it has to do with the fact the others were flat 4s. Any yt links to an svx with this setup? I found one but it was a drag race against another car so it was hard to tell.

Also, price spent on said goodies would be nice to know as well. Thanks :)

Crazy_pilot 06-17-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Anyone here currently running with a Borla exhaust?

Does Borla make a bolt-on SVX exhaust? I've been thinking about using their parts for the next system I build on my car, but it would be a custom setup.

Green1995SVX 06-17-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 706589)
Does Borla make a bolt-on SVX exhaust? I've been thinking about using their parts for the next system I build on my car, but it would be a custom setup.

No. They dont. I believe the only true bolt on exhausts were the kinetic concepts exhaust (discontinued about 10 years ago) and the stebro.

SVXMAN2001 06-17-2012 02:20 PM

haha, you must be joking...Stebro??? Bolt on? Yeah after $300 in exhaust shop customizing.

icingdeath88 06-17-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 706605)
haha, you must be joking...Stebro??? Bolt on? Yeah after $300 in exhaust shop customizing.

Well, sometimes they were bolt-on...

SVXMAN2001 06-17-2012 02:34 PM

maybe, Stebro packages a crap product and their customer service matches it.

For half the price you can piece together your own system and have a fellow member like OT fabricate the rest and you have a very nice system.

Lookin4SVX 06-17-2012 03:03 PM

I think its the borla unequal length headers that add that sound.
I don't think anyone makes an unequal length headers for an SVX.

Here is a tube of equal length headers fallowed by unequal length headers on same car.

Here is a set of borla headers on a magnaflow catback, so it seems to be the headers.
Skip to 1:10 secs, that first min he just lets the idle settle.

SVX with open headers:

From the youtube comments: "holy crap it sounds like it wants to eat babies". That made me lol!

Green1995SVX 06-17-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 706611)
maybe, Stebro packages a crap product and their customer service matches it.

For half the price you can piece together your own system and have a fellow member like OT fabricate the rest and you have a very nice system.

I've bought two exhausts from stebro over the years, and both fit perfectly and were of excellent quality. Their customer service stinks, though. That's for sure.

SVXMAN2001 06-17-2012 04:10 PM

I would really like to see someone else's stebro in person. I seem to be in the minority on the stebro exhaust. After significant modification...fitting the straight y pipes with catalytic converters, installing a hi flow main converter following by a resonator (essentially the same layout as the stock system) followed by the stebro muffler I still have significant exhaust noise inside the cabin, not to mention the exhaust vibration travels through the car.

As for quality, stebro used the same type of steel as is used on our stock exhaust system, which i guess is excellent quality considering it lasted 20 years.

1986nate 06-17-2012 04:41 PM

The only issue with Stebro seems to be that they used the 97 style post cat flange after the initial production run. (from what I've heard, the initial run/group buy were able to be installed without issue)
This provides a bit of an inconvenience and when fitting a new donut gasket, it seems to have a slight leak for a few months before heat cycling and sealing up just fine.

Just my $.02

Chuckls 06-17-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 706613)

SVX with open headers:

From the youtube comments: "holy crap it sounds like it wants to eat babies". That made me lol!

Here is another one with a bit more quality :)

aust92pearl 06-18-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 706613)
SVX with open headers:

did anyone else notice that the hub is turning while its idling in park or neutral or whichever :eek: :confused:

1986nate 06-18-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 706649)
did anyone else notice that the hub is turning while its idling in park or neutral or whichever :eek: :confused:

It's more common than one would think actually. Just about every Subaru will do that. To the average person, could give a bit of a scare though.;)

aust92pearl 06-18-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 706659)
It's more common than one would think actually. Just about every Subaru will do that. To the average person, could give a bit of a scare though.;)

oh ok hahaha , ive never tried it so i wouldnt know

Subix 06-18-2012 04:57 PM

It's unfortunate the sound is due to the headers, which means I'll not be able to replicate the sound. Oh well. :rolleyes: