The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ATF Capacity? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29105)

Bizarre 10-22-2005 06:34 PM

ATF Capacity?

Anybody know? Manual is effusive.

Chiketkd 10-22-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizarre

~10 quarts if trans and torque converter are bone dry (i.e. when doing a trans swap). If you're just draining the ATF out of the pan, you'll probably only need to replace 4-6 qts.

'effusive'???? :confused: Don't you mean elusive... :D

ensteele 10-22-2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizarre

That's Bizarre! :rolleyes: ;) :) :)

dannmarr 10-30-2005 07:58 PM

I'm going to change the trans fluid tomorrow with Mobile one synthetic. I'm a little confused about the filter. Is it internal or external or both? Do you recommend droping the pan or just drain and fill? I bought the car with 92,000 miles, it now has 130,000 miles.

svxfiles 10-30-2005 08:08 PM

Your 92 has a screen filter in the pan, and SHOULD have a black external filter on the drivers side frame rail, a couple of inches aft of the radiator support.
I would change both.
When you drop the 1/4" crossover tube under the filter, be ready for another quart of trans oil. ;)
The longer you let it drain, the better.

ensteele 10-31-2005 12:00 AM

I agree - change both. You may be surprised how bad the internal filter is. :eek:

SilverSpear 10-31-2005 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
... and SHOULD have a black external filter on the drivers side frame rail, a couple of inches aft of the radiator support.

I never knew of this one :eek: is it near the motor mount? any pic?

dannmarr 10-31-2005 05:27 AM

Check the 'how to' under transmission, filters. You'll find a nice photo.

dannmarr 10-31-2005 06:06 PM

I finished changing the trans fluid and the internal filter. It took 7 quarts. It wasn't complicated, just a little uncomfortable. I wasn't able to find the external filter, numerous auto part stores don't have any files on an external trans filter for a 92 SVX. I couldn't find it in the manual either, could it be a add on? Anyhow, how much did I save doing the job myself?

dcarrb 11-01-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
I wasn't able to find the external filter, numerous auto part stores don't have any files on an external trans filter for a 92 SVX. I couldn't find it in the manual either, could it be a add on? Anyhow, how much did I save doing the job myself?

The external ATF filter was a '92 (and '93?) retrofit by Subaru to address transmission faliures arising from clogged lines in the radiator cooler. It is located inside the frame rail beneath the battery, looks just like the fuel filter, and mounts with the same sort of release strap. I'm guessing it was for North American SXVs only. If your car lacks one, that probably means the original owner failed to respond to the Subaru recall.

dcb

svxfiles 11-01-2005 07:32 AM

Quote:

I finished changing the trans fluid and the internal filter. It took 7 quarts. It wasn't complicated, just a little uncomfortable. I wasn't able to find the external filter, numerous auto part stores don't have any files on an external trans filter for a 92 SVX. I couldn't find it in the manual either, could it be a add on? Anyhow, how much did I save doing the job myself?

You are only finished if you are happy with 3 old dirty quarts mixed in with 7 fresh clean quarts.
If you now drain and refill with another 7 quarts, it will be cleaner and fresher yet, but still not yet perfect.
I was changing out my transmission oil every 6000 miles, untill I got synthetic.
This might be excessive, but it's cheaper than a transmission!
Excessive Tom.

svxcess 11-01-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

I wasn't able to find the external filter, numerous auto part stores don't have any files on an external trans filter for a 92 SVX.

The PN is 31099AA031 and is available from Subaruparts.com for $9.53 plus shipping. Your Suby dealer can order it as well.

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=31099AA091

I can't believe this same kit just sold for $30.00 on ebay

Partsvoice says the following PA dealers have the kit in stock:

Condrin Olds/Cadillac/Subaru
Altoona, PA
800-228-3428

Kinley's Subaru
Williamsport, PA
800-998-1965

Minooka Subaru
Moosic, PA
800-982-4054

Bowser subaru
Pleasant Hills, PA
800-231-4452

benebob 11-01-2005 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
I was changing out my transmission oil every 6000 miles, untill I got synthetic.
This might be excessive, but it's cheaper than a transmission!
Excessive Tom.

Excessive? Mine gets changed 2x to get as much out as possible every 2 years or 3k whichever comes first and its got synthetic!!! :D Me no like buying trannies either!

dannmarr 11-01-2005 08:09 PM

I have a rebuilt trans in my SVX, could it be that the previous owner removed the exterior filter? I definitely don't have one on my car.

svxfiles 11-01-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

I have a rebuilt trans in my SVX, could it be that the previous owner removed the exterior filter? I definitely don't have one on my car.

It is more likely that it was never installed.
It was a voluntary campaign by Subaru,
send out the message to the customer, and hope they come in...