The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stupid windsheild wipers! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42278)

Hondasucks 12-10-2007 10:15 PM

Stupid windsheild wipers!

So my wipers work, BUT the winter/summer switch does nothing, and the highest of the four intermittent settings (the dial on the wiper stalk) runs the wipers continuously, as if they were on Low, where the highest setting on my Legacy has about 1/2 second between wipes... Is this normal?

And I thought that in "summer" mode, the wipers parked down below the hood line, cuz mine don't.

nextse7en 12-10-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 514523)
So my wipers work, BUT the winter/summer switch does nothing, and the highest of the four intermittent settings (the dial on the wiper stalk) runs the wipers continuously, as if they were on Low, where the highest setting on my Legacy has about 1/2 second between wipes... Is this normal?

And I thought that in "summer" mode, the wipers parked down below the hood line, cuz mine don't.

When at speed, the intermittent wipers act nearly as low speed wipers, when the car is stopped, they should switch to intermittent operation.

The summer setting should move your wipers to the "docked position (you'll see two numbs on the bezel under the windshield wiper where the should be sitting, in wintermode, the park about 2 inches above that, on the bottom on the windshield.
-Patrick

RSVX 12-10-2007 11:57 PM

Your wipers could be maladjusted...

Do they hit the A Pillar at the top of their sweep?

b3lha 12-11-2007 07:38 AM

The wires on the back of the summer/winter switch can come away quite easily. Put your hand around the back and check they are connected to the switch.

You can tell whether your wipers are in Summer or Winter mode. In summer mode, after you turn the wipers off, they make an extra sweep of the screen.

Set the wipers on continuous then push the stalk up to the off position. If the wipers are in Winter mode they will just stop at the bottom of the current wipe. If they are in Summer mode they will go back up, pause for a moment, and then come down all the way onto their stops.

SubaruSVXCrazy 12-11-2007 09:37 AM

Yea about wipers, my driverside one is screwed up. It goes to far and hits the black strip. Whats the problem?

Paulrio74 12-11-2007 10:49 AM

Mine works the same way. Hits the driver's side frame, possible winter/summer wire disconnected. I might try a new wiper controller as nextse7en theorized when fixing my power steering (thanks again!!).

ShiuludeSVX 12-11-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 514647)
Yea about wipers, my driverside one is screwed up. It goes to far and hits the black strip. Whats the problem?

They just need to be re-trained. Mine came loose a bit ago, and it's no big thing to reset them.

Raise your hood.
With the wipers in the full down, Summer position {on the racks}, take the covers off at the base of the wiper arm, and loosen the nut to remove the arm. Reset the arm to a point that takes off as much pressure as possible, and retighten. Return the covers, and your done.

Have a good day.:)

Oh... Put your hood down.

SubaruSVXCrazy 12-11-2007 05:08 PM

"Oh... Put your hood down."
LOL :lol:

Hondasucks 12-12-2007 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextse7en (Post 514534)
The summer setting should move your wipers to the "docked position (you'll see two numbs on the bezel under the windshield wiper where the should be sitting, in wintermode, the park about 2 inches above that, on the bottom on the windshield.
-Patrick

Yeah, they sit like, an inch above the nubs on the cowl grille.. I'll check the switch tomorrow, I have a spare one that fell into my toolbox at the junkyard :D if mine's bad.. I also need to adjust the blade angle as the driver's wiper chatters...