The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Good read on octane ratings and engine compression (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19016)

deruvian 06-01-2004 07:24 PM

Good read on octane ratings and engine compression

I was checking out some totally random things on howstuffworks.com, and found this.

It explains what those strange octane numbers mean, as well as how they interact with the compression ratio of the engine in your car.

So, if we did manage to lower the compression ratio in the SVX with different pistons, we could technically use 89 or even 87 instead? Sweet! Naw, I'm just dreaming and I know it... Damn, I hate these gas prices. :rolleyes:

upnygimp 06-01-2004 07:57 PM

Well, technically you're right, and if you really wanted to you could get low comp pistons made up. Only thing is, you're gonna lose power. It's a tradeoff.

Chiketkd 06-01-2004 08:34 PM

Exactly. And I want as much power as possible in my SVX! :cool:

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by upnygimp
Well, technically you're right, and if you really wanted to you could get low comp pistons made up. Only thing is, you're gonna lose power. It's a tradeoff.

deruvian 06-01-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by upnygimp
Well, lowering the compression is in relationship to turbo or super charging the car (as spoken about quite a bit in longassname's thread about his ecutune.com stages). If I were to run NA, I would definitely stay with the stock compression, or go higher :D

Chiketkd 06-01-2004 09:41 PM

Well if you put it that way, then get those lower compression pistons! :D However, once you add a S/C or Turbo, you'll need to switch back to Premium depending on your tune.

Both my 300ZX TT and SVT Lightning had engine compression ratios below 10:1, but needed premium gas due to 'forced induction'! :)

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
Well, lowering the compression is in relationship to turbo or super charging the car (as spoken about quite a bit in longassname's thread about his ecutune.com stages). If I were to run NA, I would definitely stay with the stock compression, or go higher :D

Mr. Pockets 06-02-2004 12:23 PM

Re: Good read on octane ratings and engine compression

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
It explains what those strange octane numbers mean, as well as how they interact with the compression ratio of the engine in your car.
I would guess that better than 90% of Americans don't have a clue what octane ratings mean. Thanks for reposting this to help inform the masses. :)