The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Good and bad this weekend (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21901)

wawazat?? 10-10-2004 04:05 PM

Good and bad this weekend

Good-wife out of town:eek:, went to closing race at the local road course and got to work on a real Formula Atlantic car :cool: , a beautiful fall Sunday spent fly fishing for trout with friends (got 4)

Bad -wife out of town:eek: , didn't get to work on the SVX, and spent most of the rest of the weekend doing the G35 brakes:mad:

I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! :mad: Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???

Clif notes - Infiniti (Nissan) brake parts suck and I'm upset with the car, but the weekend was still pretty damn OK!:D

Todd

immortal_suby 10-10-2004 04:27 PM

Holy crap Todd, 37k and 2nd set of brake pads is pretty rediculous. :eek:

Subafreak 10-10-2004 07:41 PM

Should have got a Legacy.;)

Or tell your wife to use "one" pedal at a time.:D

Shadow248 10-10-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???
Had to laugh because my dad and I went through just about the same thing with my mom's I30. The brakes are noisy and even with brand new rotors and pads (worn in or new) there is still some shudder. Hopefully you will have better luck than my mom is currently though. Her car is just under 85k miles and in the last three weeks she has dumped $2500 into it, and it's going back into the shop tomorrow.

List of stuff fixed:
ABS controller
PCV evap canister and lines replaced
Crank position sensor
oxygen sensor
fuel pump, filter, and lines
knock sensor
egr valve
9 computer diagnostics at $59.99 a piece

And it goes back to Bennett Infiniti tomorrow because it's making yet another horrible noise. Sounds like another problem in the fuel system, near the injectors/fuel rails.

My mom test drove a brand new Grand Prix GTP this weekend and loved it, so depending on the price of this next repair, the only import left at my parents house may be on it's way out.

Subafreak 10-10-2004 08:32 PM

They still make a Prix GTP? What are those thing running for motors now?

Shadow248 10-10-2004 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by subafreak
Yessir...however the GTP will no longer be the top of the GP food chain for 2005. The GTP currently has the Series III 3800 with an Eaton blower pushing 260hp. The new king GP will be the GXP with the 5.3L V8 making (unofficially) 300hp.

CigarJohnny 10-11-2004 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248

Had to laugh because my dad and I went through just about the same thing with my mom's I30. The brakes are noisy and even with brand new rotors and pads (worn in or new) there is still some shudder. Hopefully you will have better luck than my mom is currently though. Her car is just under 85k miles and in the last three weeks she has dumped $2500 into it, and it's going back into the shop tomorrow.

List of stuff fixed:
ABS controller
PCV evap canister and lines replaced
Crank position sensor
oxygen sensor
fuel pump, filter, and lines
knock sensor
egr valve
9 computer diagnostics at $59.99 a piece

And it goes back to Bennett Infiniti tomorrow because it's making yet another horrible noise. Sounds like another problem in the fuel system, near the injectors/fuel rails.

My mom test drove a brand new Grand Prix GTP this weekend and loved it, so depending on the price of this next repair, the only import left at my parents house may be on it's way out.

Holy Cow! Did all that stuff need replacing or did they just throw a bunch of parts at it until it ran well?? Instead of getting a new car, I'd find myself a new dealer. :rolleyes:

Johnny

CigarJohnny 10-11-2004 05:41 AM

Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:

I noticed on Thursday that the G, at 37K miles, needed new rear brakes (rumble, slight squeak). Picked up the pads, got the rotors cut and bolted it back together with no issues Saturday after the race. Take the customary test drive and notice a *slight* scraping noise. Damn. Take it back apart to check things but find nothing wrong. Button it back up, fire her up and head out. DAMN. Noise is now worse! I've done enough brake jobs in my life to now I didn't miss this noise maker twice, so I decide to check the front brakes, you know, just in case. DAMN, fronts gone too!!! :mad: Saturday night, no pads, 8:30 pm. Tear it down and race to the local shop which closes at 9:00pm to find the place had just closed. Get back home from fishing today (got up at 3:45am, ugh) and head to the shop 15 minutes before closing to find that the rotors have no casting thickness minimum and the guy behind the counter states that since the car has VDC, he can't even order rotors for me. Infiniti yanked the franchise from my local dealer, so I now have an hour drive for parts tomorrow. BTW, this is the second set of front pads, and I know the rotors are beyond discard thickness. 37K, WTH???

Clif notes - Infiniti (Nissan) brake parts suck and I'm upset with the car, but the weekend was still pretty damn OK!:D

Todd [/B]
Todd,

Can't you get a set up aftermarket slotted rotors for the G for the same or less than what can be had for the SVX? Or would that void your warranty somehow? What year G35 do you have? I would love to have one of those in the latest incarnation. Refined 350Z performance....mmmmmm

Johnny

mikecg 10-11-2004 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
I think this is the last year for it. I beleave it's getting replaced with th Pontiac G6. Or is the G6the replacement for the Grand Am??? I know it's replacing one of them.

SVXer95 10-11-2004 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg

I think this is the last year for it. I beleave it's getting replaced with th Pontiac G6. Or is the G6the replacement for the Grand Am??? I know it's replacing one of them.

G6 is for the Grand Am.

Shadow248 10-11-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Holy Cow! Did all that stuff need replacing or did they just throw a bunch of parts at it until it ran well?? Instead of getting a new car, I'd find myself a new dealer.

Johnny

Tried two different dealers and one independent mechanic. Normally my father and/or myself will just fix our cars, but niether of us are interested in messing with the infiniti. Nothing makes sense in the engine bay, everything is in the way of everything. Plus, I don't have the diagnostic software for a Nissan motor.

Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg
As stated, the G6 is the replacement for the Grand Am. There was talk for awhile of the GP becoming the "G8", but I haven't heard much more about it as of late.

wawazat?? 10-11-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Should have got a Legacy.;)

Or tell your wife to use "one" pedal at a time.:D

Bought the 2003 G35 in July, 2002 Jesse. The only Legover available at that time was the old body style w/165hp. I didn't fit in it well and it had no guts.

Todd

wawazat?? 10-11-2004 10:08 AM

Re: Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Todd,

Can't you get a set up aftermarket slotted rotors for the G for the same or less than what can be had for the SVX? Or would that void your warranty somehow? What year G35 do you have? I would love to have one of those in the latest incarnation. Refined 350Z performance....mmmmmm

Johnny

Looking in to it, John. Wife wants something quiet though.

Our's is a 2002 5AT sedan. Pictures in my locker.

I drove a 6 speed sedan last week. 287 hp RWD, very nice!

Todd

Subafreak 10-11-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Bought the 2003 G35 in July, 2002 Jesse. The only Legover available at that time was the old body style w/165hp. I didn't fit in it well and it had no guts.

Todd

I hear that:rolleyes:

Subafreak 10-11-2004 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Good and bad this weekend

Quote:

Looking in to it, John. Wife wants something quiet though.

Our's is a 2002 5AT sedan. Pictures in my locker.

I drove a 6 speed sedan last week. 287 hp RWD, very nice!

Todd

And you can get one with AWD right?

Hint to Subaru: Legacy with turbo 3.0 Turbo ;)