The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   285whp??... Haha, it's back - with 320whp!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48324)

GreenMarine 12-29-2008 01:23 AM

285whp??... Haha, it's back - with 320whp!!

Well here I am, sitting at the computer late at night because I can't sleep... I figure I'll surf NASIOC's "Prooven Power Bragging" forum since I no longer own the SVX and like the feeling of a ~450wtq STi engine...

All of the sudden I see this thread...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1652516

With THIS Video in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI

That's right... That 3.3ltr (EG33) swapped race 2.5RS is back... This time with a fully build motor, and the results (AND VIDEO) are mind-blowing... I mean I can't imagine an SVX with this much NA power. That's almost as much that's in my current car!!

I'll tell ya what though, seeing this thread really REALLY makes me miss the SVX and all the dreams I had for it once apon a time :(... I hope I can find another SVX someday...

~ Chris

Twinboosted 12-29-2008 01:58 AM

Re: 285whp??... Haha, it's back - with 320whp!!

Nice numbers!

What's up with the dyno pull though? Does the shop not know how to do a pull correctly?

TomsSVX 12-29-2008 09:00 AM

:repost:This is really old news... Has that imprezza gotten into your head and slowed you down??:p

Tom

RallyBob 12-29-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboosted (Post 579472)
Nice numbers!

What's up with the dyno pull though? Does the shop not know how to do a pull correctly?

That video is of a top-speed run, not the actual dyno pull. With the Mustang dyno you can insert the car's drag coefficient from the database, the vehicle's weight and gearing, and then do a 'pull' with simulated drag from the dyno. 7600 rpm's in 5th gear on that run according to Jack.

GreenMarine 12-29-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 579508)
That video is of a top-speed run, not the actual dyno pull. With the Mustang dyno you can insert the car's drag coefficient from the database, the vehicle's weight and gearing, and then do a 'pull' with simulated drag from the dyno. 7600 rpm's in 5th gear on that run according to Jack.

BOB! You're "Bob the Fabricator" aren't ya?? I've gotta meet you if I come up to CT sometime!! Someday I will have another SVX and I really REALLY want to do a nice NA build on it...

~ Chris

RallyBob 01-16-2011 06:08 PM

Just an FYI. The car this engine is fitted to is being parted out, therefore the 318 whp/276 wtq EG33 (now 3.5 litres) is available as a complete engine with oil pan, headers, cold air box. (ECU is separate however)

Interested parties should contact Jack Laverty at EFI Logics.

Huskymaniac 01-16-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 666890)
Just an FYI. The car this engine is fitted to is being parted out, therefore the 318 whp/276 wtq EG33 (now 3.5 litres) is available as a complete engine with oil pan, headers, cold air box. (ECU is separate however)

Interested parties should contact Jack Laverty at EFI Logics.

Any idea what they are asking for it?

RallyBob 01-16-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 666893)
Any idea what they are asking for it?

Like I said, contact Jack for specifics. I *think* he was talking around $5k however.

There's about $10k in parts and machine work invested. That does not include the R & D me and Jack invested nor my labor to port the heads, flow the heads and design the cams, build the headers/collectors, and build the cold air box. So realistically there's $13-14k invested in it assuming my time is worth $50 per hour.

Huskymaniac 01-16-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyBob (Post 666896)
Like I said, contact Jack for specifics. I *think* he was talking around $5k however.

There's about $10k in parts and machine work invested. That does not include the R & D me and Jack invested nor my labor to port the heads, flow the heads and design the cams, build the headers/collectors, and build the cold air box. So realistically there's $13-14k invested in it assuming my time is worth $50 per hour.

Is this engine in Bethel? I wish I knew when I was in CT for XMAS. I would love to have seen it in person. Any idea if there was even an issue with cooling? There was a long thread here about cooling issues at high RPMs. I assume an engine like this in an SVX would require a highly customized radiator setup.

About the numbers, the stock engine produces 230HP and it sounded from the thread linked here that this engine produced somewhere above 390HP with 318HP being delivered to the wheels. Is that correct?

Cam 01-16-2011 09:41 PM

Bob, any Idea what it would cost to duplicate that oil pan? Did you guys use OEM windage baffle and sump?

SilverSpear 01-16-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 666915)
Bob, any Idea what it would cost to duplicate that oil pan? Did you guys use OEM windage baffle and sump?

+1 another interest.

RallyBob 01-17-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 666914)
Is this engine in Bethel?

No, the entire car is at Jack's house now in northeastern CT. He's sick of dumping money into it and now that he's married the wife frowns upon a $20k per year racing budget...:rolleyes: So he decided to part it out.

The cooling system was working well the last time he had the car out. 8200 rpm shift points and all. An SVX would have far more room for a bigger radiator as well as more space for proper airflow compared to an Impreza.

It made 318 hp to the wheels on a Mustang chassis dyno. Call it 415-420 hp at the crank (24% driveline loss).

I think that if someone invested in ITBs with this combo you'd see another 30-40 whp.

RallyBob 01-17-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 666915)

Not much in material, but it took me about ten hours to fabricate it. I suspect if I did another one it would take a little less time because I templated everything.

However I built the oil pan on an spare block with the headers present and with the crossmember available to me (Impreza). I don't know if it would clear anyone else's exhaust system and the SVX crossmember.

I did retain the stock oil pan baffles, and the stock pickup tube.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/...f8519dbb_o.jpg

I had some issues with the original sump tube arrangement, and ideally I wanted to create a new sump location...but time/money was an issue so I compromised and kept it OEM for Jack's sake. My next EG33 oil pan will be a dry sump design however....;)

Dessertrunner 01-18-2011 01:36 PM

Is he going to sell the ECU with the engine? Also you say contact him direct how do we do that?
Tony

RallyBob 01-18-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 667070)
Is he going to sell the ECU with the engine?

Apparently not, the Motec tuner/distributor would like to buy the ECU back from him.

Quote:

Also you say contact him direct how do we do that?
Tony
Jack works here.