The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sealing the tail lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22164)

n00b on demand 10-23-2004 09:25 AM

Sealing the tail lights

So in an attempt to stop the condensation from getting in the tail lights i have bought some black silicone. What exactly do i have to seal? The gap between the tail light and the trunk? ( sorry best way i could describe it) I figured this would be the easy fix because i dont wanna order anything from the dealership and their closed saturdays and i wanna get this project done today. So any info is welcome :)

Tom

ensteele 10-23-2004 09:34 AM

I would try taking the tail lights off, cleaning the foam gaskets or finishing, move left to right and right to left. The key is to not tighten them down too much. That has usually done it for me. I don't lkie the sealer because if you want to take them back off, the stuff is hard to get off. Good luck with the project. :)

n00b on demand 10-23-2004 09:58 AM

anyone got a pic of what these gaskets look like? How exactly can i get the whole tail light off. I see some bolts inside of that plastic cover u take off to get access to the bulbs.

n00b on demand 10-23-2004 11:07 AM

I dont really take tail lights out anyway so if i sealed em i dont think it would be a big deal right :confused:

michael 10-23-2004 11:52 AM

It's not that hard to get them out just a few of those bolts and they're out. You'll regret the silicone, it looks like crap and doesn't work. Trust me listen to earl.

n00b on demand 10-23-2004 11:57 AM

Ok i'll do what earl suggested then. Why does water get in there anyway...not why but how?

michael 10-23-2004 04:49 PM

I think over time the gaskets become flattened, then expansion and contraction of the plastic light against the metal body causes gaps in the seal. or something along those lines:p

mohrds 10-23-2004 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by michael
I think over time the gaskets become flattened, then expansion and contraction of the plastic light against the metal body causes gaps in the seal. or something along those lines:p
Exactly right.

The taillights are vented to the trunk area, but over time the gaskets start leaking and allow moist air from the outside to drift in.

If these are truly foam rubber gaskets, then they could probably be steamed back to life. It is what upholsterers to to smooshed seat cushions to bring them back to life.

Doug (looking around for that travel steamer)

Earthworm 10-25-2004 03:20 PM

6 nuts hold each taillight in place.

If you use silicone (like I did) only put it on one side or else you will have a hard time removing them in the future.

to see how water can get in the trunk remove the taillight and pour water on the outside of the trunk weatherstripping. It will run off the back of the car and go right in the trunk via the holes for the removed taillight.

I only did this on one side and so far I have had no further moisture in that light.

dcarrb 10-26-2004 06:57 AM

Mine were leaking between the red plastic lens and the housing. A bead of clear Lexan along the top seam seems to have done the trick.

dcb

n00b on demand 10-26-2004 08:29 AM

I was thinking of popping the trunk....and using the silicone right on top of the tail lights....where that tiny gap is between that and the trunk. I need a pic so i can describe it.

mohrds 10-26-2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93
I was thinking of popping the trunk....and using the silicone right on top of the tail lights....where that tiny gap is between that and the trunk. I need a pic so i can describe it.
You'd have to be a precision caulker to pull that off and make it look good. But that will only seal the outer edge, there will still be moisture getting in the lights.

Removing the lights is easy.

Doug

Hocrest 10-26-2004 09:52 AM

When I asked the parts guy at the dealer to order me a gasket, he told me that they use 3M Strip Caulk rather than the OEM gaskets for all the cars rolling through there.

I haven't tried it yet, but he showed me stuff, and it seems like it would work nice without causing a mess...

Beav 10-26-2004 10:51 AM

I would consider applying the strip caulk to the housings and then dusting the caulk with talc to keep it from sticking to the body. That stuff develops quite a hold over time and would probably require some creative breaking if future removal were required. Ford used to use it on Fairmonts, Mustangs and the like, sealing the lens to the rest of the lamp body. Replacing a broken lens required the fun use of a BFH, followed by digging out the remaining shards of plastic with pliers and a chisel.

The condensation comes from the heating and cooling of the air inside of the lamp caused by the bulbs, especially after running around in cool night air. Sealing the lamps to the body allows the presumably warmer and less humid cabin air to return into the lamp during cool-down.

dcarrb 10-26-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
The condensation comes from the heating and cooling of the air inside of the lamp caused by the bulbs, especially after running around in cool night air. Sealing the lamps to the body allows the presumably warmer and less humid cabin air to return into the lamp during cool-down.
Hmm... maybe. Or in some instances. The only time moisture ever showed-up in mine was after I washed the car. My Legacy had the same problem, and the same solution. The condensation you see is most likely the product of water that has seeped into the assembly, not humid air.

dcb