The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   car wont start...someone please help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53568)

jman050 03-24-2010 08:47 PM

car wont start...someone please help

Ok so ive always had the click click start problem...around 3 days ago i replaced the relay switch and it cured the problem 90% of the time....well today My car wouldnt start at all. There were no clicking issues....the starter was getting power and turning over. My car was acting like it was 100% out of gas when it had a full tank. I tested the fuel pump-which was fine....fuel filter also fine. What am i missing here? is there something that controls the coil packs that could suddenly short or go out. There is not any studdering at all...almost like there is no firing whatsoever.

Mensaf 03-24-2010 08:54 PM

Re: car wont start...someone please help

There's this bull**** plastic piece by (it's not part of it, but it's RIGHT THERE) the ignition cylinder that wears out over time that causes this. Anyone know what I'm talking about. I fixed one on another SVX when I first started working as a mechanic a while back.

That, or make sure your security button isn't active :P

dcarrb 03-25-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050 (Post 639557)
Ok so ive always had the click click start problem...around 3 days ago i replaced the relay switch and it cured the problem 90% of the time....well today My car wouldnt start at all. There were no clicking issues....the starter was getting power and turning over.

So you still get the "click click" business 10% of the time?

Turning over but not firing is probably unrelated. Have you tired holding the accelerator pedal to the floor while turning the key?

dcb

SURTEESS 03-25-2010 12:41 PM

When turning key to "on" position are your fans on ALL the time (even when cold?) = ERROR CODE 21

ATF temperature sensor in the transmission is shot - I know I had to change mine (NZ$41.00).

This causes the engine to "lean" out the fuel mixture - thinking engine is really hot!! (hence will not start).

SEE POST 11

SoCal LS-L 03-25-2010 06:07 PM

Unfortunately cranks-no start can be a pain to diag.

One shortcut is to spray some starting fluid thru one of your vacuum ports, and immediately try cranking over. If it wants to start then, you verified spark, and if it starts up then dies, you have properly timed spark... and can focus on the fuel system as a cause.

If it has no effect at all, then I would look at the ignition system or air/temp metering.

Try the starting fluid thing and also check for any codes, then report back and we can take the next step.

NiftySVX 03-25-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 639650)
When turning key to "on" position are your fans on ALL the time (even when cold?) = ERROR CODE 21

ATF temperature sensor in the transmission is shot - I know I had to change mine (NZ$41.00).

This causes the engine to "lean" out the fuel mixture - thinking engine is really hot!! (hence will not start).

I am thinking you meant ECT sensor in the crossover pipe, It is easy to replace and a common failure especially if you haven't been good about changing your coolant. The ATF temperature sensor does not even go to the ECU in this vehicle :confused:

SURTEESS 03-25-2010 08:21 PM

No I ment what I stated initially ATF Temperature sensor is bad (thermister gone open circuit) ERROR CODE 21 = lean fuel mixture (fans on all the time), which makes car near impossible to start (except with foot flat to floor). trust me I had Subaru change that this week with mine......any one else want to back me up.....

SEE POST 11

NiftySVX 03-25-2010 08:37 PM

The Automatic Transmission Fluid temperature sensor is inside the transmission pan and monitors the temperature of the automatic transmission fluid. There absolutely no communication to the engine control unit on this circuit, It is used by the TCU only. You are thinking of the ECT sensor. there is no fail code that the ECM will output to display a failed ATFT sensor, for the reasons stated above.

Code 21, furthermore, is for the ECT sensor.

SURTEESS 03-25-2010 09:53 PM

Code 21 - ATF Temperature Sensor (SVX Service Manual, section 3.2 - page 188).

Lets diagnose this correctly - what error codes have you got ???

SEE POST 11

oab_au 03-25-2010 10:00 PM

Thats the transmission code.

Harvey.

SURTEESS 03-25-2010 10:07 PM

your right code 21 in the engine management area - sorry my mistake, looking like engine is over temperature....

Sincere apologies

Trevor 03-25-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 639797)
Thats the transmission code.

Harvey.

In respect of both transmission and engine, the same code 21 covers a temperature sensor. Therefore the confusion is understandable.

Trevor 03-25-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050 (Post 639557)
Ok so ive always had the click click start problem...around 3 days ago i replaced the relay switch and it cured the problem 90% of the time....well today My car wouldnt start at all. There were no clicking issues....the starter was getting power and turning over. My car was acting like it was 100% out of gas when it had a full tank. I tested the fuel pump-which was fine....fuel filter also fine. What am i missing here? is there something that controls the coil packs that could suddenly short or go out. There is not any studdering at all...almost like there is no firing whatsoever.

Reverting to the original subject.

You must logically suspect something involved with replacing the relay is a possible cause of the problem. Could you have disturbed some associated connection or wiring? Everything associated with the ignition switch must be suspect.

Does everything which should come on when the switch is on, do so without any problems and for 100 % of the time.? :confused:

SoCal LS-L 03-26-2010 01:32 AM

Im sitting here wondering if the OP tried the starting fluid, and realized he hasnt responded to anything yet.

Before tinkering around with electronics or wiring, i would definitely use the starting fluid so you can eliminate or confirm properly timed spark. Then you can go the right direction from the get-go.

jman050 04-03-2010 01:48 PM

thanks for the help from everyone and sorry for my inconsiderate time period in between posts. Been working 60 hours a week and really hard to get much of a look at my car. Anyway the fuel pump is fine, fuel filter is fine, MAF is fine, crank position sensor is fine, timing belt is lined up correctly, the relays seem to be fine as the starter is getting power but still no plug firing. The fuses are all fine. And NO codes whatsoever. Is there anything im missing???