The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The SV-ReX... She's Baaaack! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24825)

svxhunter 03-03-2005 08:21 PM

The SV-ReX... She's Baaaack!

Here comes the GRM Challenge again!

We're returning with the SV-ReX.

Leaner, meaner, definitely faster, and a whole lot kewler!!

-New paint scheme (Who wanted to see her in flat black? All dents removed, she's now flat black with ghost images of the Subaru Rally team graphics.)

-Re-tuned nitrous system.

-Suspension tuned for maximum cornering.

-About 200 lbs. lighter.

-Everyting we could tweak, we tweaked!!

First weekend in April. Gainesville, FL. It's gonna be awesome! Come on down and bring your SVXii:D

BTW- watch the next issue of SubbieSport (April) for an article on her. Unfortunately, the pictures were taken before the new paint scheme.

Mr. Pockets 03-03-2005 08:38 PM

Awesome! Best of luck to you and the team! :)

sharky512345 03-03-2005 10:03 PM

sounds awesome! got any pics?:)

svxhunter 03-04-2005 03:45 AM

I'll get some pics up soon.

SubaSteevo 03-04-2005 07:02 AM

Re: The SV-ReX... She's Baaaack!

Quote:

Originally posted by svxhunter
-New paint scheme (Who wanted to see her in flat black? All dents removed, she's now flat black with ghost images of the Subaru Rally team graphics.)

Me! Me!

svxfiles 03-04-2005 09:15 AM

Re: The SV-ReX... She's Baaaack!

Quote:

Leaner, meaner, definitely faster, and a whole lot kewler!!
-About 200 lbs. lighter.

What was left to take off?

BTW, VERY, VERY, COOL!:cool:

svxhunter 03-04-2005 05:36 PM

What was left to take off:

-Rear bumper core
-Brackets, tow hooks
-Door weatherstripping and framework (skins only now)
-Every uneeded bracket, screw, wire, or clip has been ground off
-Stock exhaust
-20-50 lbs or dirt and grime from the undercarriage
-Sound deadening
-Hood and trunk framework and hinges (now held on with hood pins)
-All uneeded controls (ie: that danged wiper arm we kept smacking when hard cornering)

She's pretty sparce now. Also pretty cool and fun to drive!:cool:

Chiketkd 03-04-2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

What was left to take off:

-Rear bumper core
-Brackets, tow hooks
-Door weatherstripping and framework (skins only now)
-Every uneeded bracket, screw, wire, or clip has been ground off
-Stock exhaust
-20-50 lbs or dirt and grime from the undercarriage
-Sound deadening
-Hood and trunk framework and hinges (now held on with hood pins)
-All uneeded controls (ie: that danged wiper arm we kept smacking when hard cornering)

She's pretty sparce now. Also pretty cool and fun to drive!:cool:

Very cool. How much does she weigh right now (approx)?

Can't wait to see the drag results at the GRM challenge. What exactly did you do to the suspension? How much -ve camber are you running f&r???

-Chike

svxhunter 03-04-2005 09:09 PM

I'm trying to get back on the scales. I'll let you know exactly as soon as I'm done.

Suspension:

Ride height is really low. We dropped the GC's all the way, which combined with the smaller tires gives us about 2 3/4" ground clearance.

The SVX is a bit limited for negative camber. I was going to try to fab some adjustable top mounts, but have run out of time. We ran the front to the limit, -1.5* camber along with slight toe in, and no toe in the rear with about -1* of camber (suspension induced) in the rear. We also camber cut the tires, so we gain a little there also.

Of course the major suspension difference was the Konis and ground control springs we added last year. The spring rates are 380/350 and the Konis are at maximum stiff.

We are trying to stiffen the rear anti-sway bar. I'd like a 20mm adjustable bar, but can't fit it in the budget. We'll probably just shim the mounts.

The main suspension tuning thing right now is very careful corner balancing. We've spent a lot of time adjusting it with exact weights (driver, fuel, nitrous, etc.) onboard. It's right on.

Some recent autoxing has shown it to be very agile. It doesn't drive like most SVXii. The lighter weight and stiffer tuning makes it extremely tossable. We've been playing with pressures trying to get just a bit more rotation, but mostly we're pretty happy.

Sunday will be our last chance to test and tune before G'ville. We'll autox in Macon.

Noir 03-04-2005 09:30 PM

sweet mang. i'd have to find a place to get a copy of scoobiesport.

hey where do you go to get your car weighed?

we got a couple of land scales that i use to weigh mine all the time ;)

Bwana 03-04-2005 10:27 PM

Get some pics of the new paint! I wish I was closer to Florida so I could come see. :o

Good luck, and im sure you'll keep us posted.

Weasel 22 03-04-2005 11:01 PM

awesome stuff..best of luck to you..I will look for the article :D

Chiketkd 03-04-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to get back on the scales. I'll let you know exactly as soon as I'm done.

Suspension:

Ride height is really low. We dropped the GC's all the way, which combined with the smaller tires gives us about 2 3/4" ground clearance.

The SVX is a bit limited for negative camber. I was going to try to fab some adjustable top mounts, but have run out of time. We ran the front to the limit, -1.5* camber along with slight toe in, and no toe in the rear with about -1* of camber (suspension induced) in the rear. We also camber cut the tires, so we gain a little there also.

Of course the major suspension difference was the Konis and ground control springs we added last year. The spring rates are 380/350 and the Konis are at maximum stiff.

We are trying to stiffen the rear anti-sway bar. I'd like a 20mm adjustable bar, but can't fit it in the budget. We'll probably just shim the mounts.

The main suspension tuning thing right now is very careful corner balancing. We've spent a lot of time adjusting it with exact weights (driver, fuel, nitrous, etc.) onboard. It's right on.

Some recent autoxing has shown it to be very agile. It doesn't drive like most SVXii. The lighter weight and stiffer tuning makes it extremely tossable. We've been playing with pressures trying to get just a bit more rotation, but mostly we're pretty happy.

Sunday will be our last chance to test and tune before G'ville. We'll autox in Macon.

Sounds like you've done some serious *intelligent* Winter modding on this car. ;)

2 3/4" ground clearance is insanely low! Damn, that car must feel like a serious racer with little to no body-roll during cornering... :cool:

-Chike

svxfiles 03-05-2005 04:27 AM

Quote:

Do you have a spare rear bar?

What would happen if you welded a corner brace, a bar that went from part way up the "leg" back to the main bar, stiffening the leg, and effectively limiting the length of the main bar?
It would not add much weight and it SEEMS like it would work. Tom.

svxhunter 03-05-2005 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd

2 3/4" ground clearance is insanely low! Damn, that car must feel like a serious racer with little to no body-roll during cornering... :cool:

-Chike

:cool: :cool: :cool:

To load and unload from our trailer, we have to park the truck on a curb to lift it up so the car doesn't bottom out on the ramp.;)

What's body-roll???:confused: :D