The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   which headlight bulbs to buy (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23394)

n00b on demand 12-23-2004 10:00 PM

which headlight bulbs to buy

Ok so ive been driving with one head light for a few days now...and tonight the other one just blew out. So tomorrow morning im gonna have to buy new bulbs. I had "HILite" cool blue bulbs in there and loved the blueish tint. I got them off of ebay. Which headlight bulbs would any of you suggest? Im going to have to go into my local speed shop to get them. How much for the sylvanias? Are they good? I heard PIA's are excellent but are way tooo expensive and dont last that long.

Tim 12-23-2004 11:04 PM

Do a search on the 9005 conversion. That's all you need:) I am running cool blue 9005's and couldn't be happier.

thundering02 12-24-2004 12:18 AM

Personally I really like my Silvania Silverstars (Pure White) the pairs will run you aprrox 50 dollars. And I intend shortly after my spending cash goes back up after the holidys to buy the fogs and the highs but as is the lows are absolutely awsome.

edit: BTW don't touch the bulbs as this will shorten the lives of the bulbs very fast.

AFBeefcake 12-24-2004 06:16 AM

I run street glow bulbs I think there 4100K color. I love them and for about $25.00 a set with shipping from sounddomain.com there cheep to.

n00b on demand 12-24-2004 08:44 AM

Whats the deal with the 9005's?

n00b on demand 12-24-2004 08:47 AM

What do you mean by conversion....what will i have to modify? I would love to do this but i really dont have time being that both my headlights are blown right now and i have to be at work in a few hours. i was just hoping to go to the local speed shop ...buy the bulbs and put em in today.

Tim 12-24-2004 09:30 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...highlight=9005

drivemusicnow 12-26-2004 11:51 PM

the process to "modify" takes like 15 minutes total. i have 9005 sylvania silverstar lowbeams.. they're white, and brighter than any of the fake blue lights... at autozone they were 20$ a piece. well worth it in my opinion.

i really really hate the drivers that stick the really blue tinted lights in. they're just annoying. and very obviously not HID. the "cool blue" isn't all that blue, so it actually looks fine. but the whiter the light the better IMO

justiceSVX 12-27-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
Do a search on the 9005 conversion. That's all you need:) I am running cool blue 9005's and couldn't be happier.
Ding. Winner.

mohrds 12-27-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Whats the deal with the 9005's?
Its a neat way to annoy all the oncomming traffic with scattered and mis-aligned beam patterns :rolleyes:

Doug

mbtoloczko 12-27-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Its a neat way to annoy all the oncomming traffic with scattered and mis-aligned beam patterns :rolleyes:

Doug

Doug, do you know of any lights out there that improve visibility but do not mess up the SVX light pattern?

justiceSVX 12-27-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Doug

It's in a projector. I installed one modded 9005 next to a 9006 and there was no difference whatsoever in beam cutoff, or anything like that. From the front, the glare was identical to the stock bulb, and it just appeared a tad whiter.

The light output, however, was incredible.

You must not have seen this modification in person, it's incredible. Light output is much more than stock, yet it doesn't bother anybody. I've never had anybody flash their brights at me, unless I have my fogs on also (which ahppened prior to the modded bulbs also).

ensteele 12-27-2004 01:27 PM

I agree! I run the Sylvania Cool Blue 9005s in my cars (low beams only) and they are great. I have never been flashed unless my fog lights are on. They are not blue at all, but a whiter light than the stock ones. I can see now, and the stock bulbs were horrible. These are the first lights that I have been happy with. :)

lee 12-27-2004 01:49 PM

I haven't done the mod (to 9005s) yet, but I did contact Daniel Stern (a good guy for vehicle lighting - cruise his site at - http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html).

It was his opinion that as long as projector/focusing lens were on the low beams there were no issues other than lower MTBF. He did caution not to do the mod on non-projector 9006 low beams as the pattern then does get screwed up (not his words, my translation).

BTW, he has a good tutorial on how to aim your lights.

thundering02 12-27-2004 04:46 PM

Why do people flash at you for your fog lites?:confused: