The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   anyone else drink alcohol when they are sick? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53294)

sowise 02-27-2010 10:24 AM

anyone else drink alcohol when they are sick?

Yeh, I know the basics about why it is bad to drink and take over the counter drugs etc. but honestly taking cold/flu meds and having some rum and coke definitely doesnt feel like a bad thing to me. While I realize it doesn't help to be dehydrated more, I was just curious if anyone else likes to booze it up when they aren't feeling well.

Also before I went to the Amazon it was recommended to keep a high BAC (blood alcohol content) if you didn't have malaria meds. Luckily I had both :)

sabin 02-27-2010 10:39 AM

Re: anyone else drink alcohol when they are sick?

i do
when i have a cold
vodka and oj

i also use whiskey as a general pain killer

ARED 97 02-27-2010 12:39 PM

Why wait til you are sick???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :cool:

lhopp77 02-27-2010 12:54 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to me. Does your wife buy it?? :)

PS: Actually haven't had a HAC for many years.

Lee

sowise 02-27-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 636479)
Sounds like a good excuse to me. Does your wife buy it?? :)

PS: Actually haven't had a HAC for many years.

Lee

As for me I am not married I have to crawl my sick but out of bed to the liquor store and purchase my own. I have considered coughing all over the expensive champagne:barf: so the stuck up yuppies can get a good taste:D

The Vodka and OJ sounds like a good breakfast alternative though.

MadMaxSvx 02-27-2010 01:14 PM

I drink no matter if i am healthy or sick. :D
When i have a flu, i just drink a few beers and i forget about it..:) then suddenly i start feeling better and the flu goes.
I have the theory that alcohol is just bad for microorganism causing the flu.
Also, here in Paraguay the tradition is, when the winter starts, to drink a mix between liquor, lemon and a plant called "ruda", to avoid flu or other winter sicknesses.:cool:

immortal_suby 02-27-2010 03:50 PM

I generally go for whiskey or rum over ice when I am sick. I sleep well and wake up feeling about the same as if I had taked thera flu or nyquil.

I hate taking cold medicine or other drugs. About the only thing I will take is advil.

svxcess 02-27-2010 04:58 PM

Re: anyone else drink alcohol when they are sick (or well)?

1 Attachment(s)

I received this in an email the other day.

Inspirational Senior

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of some "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many others wither. Harold Sclumberg is such a person.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1267314804

I've often been asked, "What do you old folks do now that you're retired"?

Well, I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most
is turning beer, wine, vodka, and margaritas into urine.

Bobb 02-27-2010 08:21 PM

Hi John, I wasn't aware you needed a degree in chemistry to get that job done. Take care, BOBB

y2daniel1981 02-27-2010 08:57 PM

I do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx (Post 636484)
I have the theory that alcohol is just bad for microorganism causing the flu.

I had that same theory for awhile, but after about six months of research (and I dont mean trying to get sick and then drink, I'm talking about real studies here) it was found that the amount of alcohol you would need to drink to kill any virus or bateria would actually kill you of alcohol poisoning long before it would be in enough concentration to do away with enough organism to make you healthy again.

But drinking does have a nice therapuetic affect :D

Ron Mummert 02-27-2010 08:59 PM

I drink boxed wine. Therefore i AM sick.:barf:

Ron.

dcarrb 03-01-2010 05:58 AM

I'm not a drinker but on those rare occasions when I have a head cold I hit the nighttime-forumla Nyquil bottle hard, and I don't mean with that silly little dosage cup. What proof is that stuff, anyway?

dcb

Sean486 03-01-2010 06:02 AM

Mostly I just get sick after drinking. :barf:

stevek 03-01-2010 04:21 PM

We have a medicine over here (UK) known as Beechams Powders. When you feel you have a cold etc., take one and hey presto, you get the benefit of a pain killer plus some additive that makes you sweat.
So, I go to our chemists and ask for a pack. The actual 'chemist' hears and asks who are they for? Me, I reply. You can't have those, you are on ulcer tablets, he replies. How long have you been taking those? 20 years, I reply, they save me putting the heating on, and I take 4 a day usually - thats what's probably given you the ulcer, he says...
So there you go, I stopped, or at least restricted, taking them unless I had a cold, and as he intimated, my ulcer pain went away.
To err on the safe side though, I still thoroughly soak my teeth with whisky each night, several times. Only one tooth filling in 20 odd years! Obviously it works, and the guy from Bargain Booze never questions my order.... unlike the damn chemist.
Just got to convince my doctor that the tobacconist and the local Indian restaurant have my best interests at heart too!
Bet you are all bored fast asleep by now... Sorry.

svxistentialist 03-01-2010 06:19 PM

Not me Steve.

These are very interesting theories. :D

These Beechams Powders don't affect the lining of your nose, or anything?

Joe

:rolleyes: