The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny Weirdness?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3733)

Boone 04-22-2002 12:03 PM

Tranny Wierdness..

Randy,
Do you have an update? Should I burn more candles? D.

Aredubjay 04-22-2002 12:28 PM

Okay, here's the skinny. I went out to pull codes Saturday afternoon. I got a "normal" for current problems and "stored" codes for, not only solenoid C, but, solenoid B as well.

The funny thing about it is, my car seems to be running tighter than it ever has. It's accelerating better, it "feels" solid on the road and around the twisties. Even the exhaust buzz has almost disappeared.

Screw it! I'll ignore the flashing light and keep running 'til she grenades or something. She's just running too darned good for me to be without her.

One question. Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code? I'm going to remove my negative cable tonight to clear the codes and pray that I won't get them back.

Burn them candles Boone and pray that the codes were just a fluke.

Oh, and anyone living in my area can blame me for the rain over the weekend. I washed and waxed my car -- sure sign of rain. :D

Boone 04-22-2002 12:42 PM

[Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code?] I can't imagine that would generate a code. Mebbe code TU (shiny side down) :D Gotta go get more Dextron. :p

Aredubjay 04-22-2002 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boone
[Would running her with all four wheels off the ground possibly trigger an erroneous trouble code?] I can't imagine that would generate a code. Mebbe code TU (shiny side down) :D Gotta go get more Dextron. :p

Oh well. I'm just grasping for anything that would say, "Everything's going to be alright. You don't need to take it in to a shop to have it looked at." But, then, what would life be like to have an SVX that runs perfectly for an extended period of time? Remember, I bought her in Aug of '99. My whole tranny saga began in March, 2000 and have seemed to churn up every six months or so since then. I guess I'll just learn to live with it.

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 12:08 PM

Just to keep y'all informed: The car is acting as if 50/50 AWD is engaged at all times. Y'know, like when you're backing up, if feels like the e-brake is engaged.

I'm still getting trouble codes for B&C solenoids, although I get no power light flashes when I first start it up on the morning.

I dicided to do a little R&D and put my FWD fuse in to see what would happen. I did not get an FWD light on the dash, and, the feeling of 50/50 AWD was still there.

I'm frustrated. Of course, if it's just a solenoid pack swap, I might take it back to the tranny shop and tell them to do it, if I can bring the car in one morning and drive it out the same afternoon. I WILL NOT leave it at their shop any more.

Or, do I just drive it around 'til the transfer gears are toasted? AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!

Boone 04-24-2002 12:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Wierdy Tranness

Randy, We know that duty C is transfer clutch but what about B? I'm suspicious about the fuse not putting you in FWD even if you do the 8's or go drive, park, reverse to "break " it loose. :rolleyes:

strange179 04-24-2002 12:54 PM

soleniods

Hi Randy,
I just read through this thread and I wanted to add my comments. First, Duty Solenoid "C" isn't in the solenoid pack with the other 3 solenoids. It's in the tail section of the transmission where the front/rear transfer clutch pack is. Second, It kinda sounds like the solenoid isn't releasing the way it should, as if it always had power to it. The FWD fuse stops power from going to that solenoid so if it is still binding the solenoid may be mechanically stuck open.
Good luck, I'll keep checking back here as often as I can.
Jay

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 02:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wierdy Tranness

Quote:

Originally posted by Boone
Randy, We know that duty C is transfer clutch but what about B? I'm suspicious about the fuse not putting you in FWD even if you do the 8's or go drive, park, reverse to "break " it loose. :rolleyes:

I put the fuse in while the car was idling. Then, I took it around the parking lot. Couldn't do 8's, but, I pulled some tight turns.

I figured, maybe if I shut the car off, and re-start it, then, it'll kick into FWD. No dice. Did a few more tight turns, still no dice.

Jay, thanks for your response. We'll see what shakes out.

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 02:31 PM

Re: soleniods

Quote:

Originally posted by strange179
Hi Randy,
I just read through this thread and I wanted to add my comments. First, Duty Solenoid "C" isn't in the solenoid pack with the other 3 solenoids. It's in the tail section of the transmission where the front/rear transfer clutch pack is. Second, It kinda sounds like the solenoid isn't releasing the way it should, as if it always had power to it. The FWD fuse stops power from going to that solenoid so if it is still binding the solenoid may be mechanically stuck open.
Good luck, I'll keep checking back here as often as I can.
Jay

Jay,
Apparently, it's realeasing when I turn the key off. Thus the experience I described in my first post in this thread. Hmmmm.

oab_au 04-24-2002 05:29 PM

Re: Re: soleniods C.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Jay,
Apparently, it's realeasing when I turn the key off. Thus the experience I described in my first post in this thread. Hmmmm.

I'm back, thanks.

The C solenoid fails safe, in the full rear wheel drive mode.
B solenoid fails safe in no converter lock up mode.

Didn't they have trouble with the wiring differences when they tried to fit the new solenoid pack to the old legacy box.
May be a wiring problem. No power to them will produce your problems, as the fuse won't turn it off, seems like no connection, fault in the wiring ?.
watdeyah recon ?
Harvey.

svx_commuter 04-24-2002 06:24 PM

Quote:

[i]Or, do I just drive it around 'til the transfer gears are toasted? [/B]
I am sure you meant clutches, transfer clutches, there are no transfer gears. You will only wear out the cluthes sooner and then you have FWD. However if you can run thru a turn and it doesn't seem that bad maybe it's not binding real bad. Some other owners have had a lot of noise and sever binding when turning corners when the solenoid C wire has been cut.

Come on over and I'll measure the transfer pressure for you. That will tell the story.:) I got a 300 psi gauge, high pressure hose, 1/8' nipple and a street elbow modified to fit the case and an extra plug. Just in case the one that's in there gets lost in the unplugged zone:D No charge and immediate service once your car is here:eek:

Crusader 04-24-2002 08:29 PM

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone was paying attention or not, but I am the one who asked for the process of pulling/reading codes in another thread.... never got the codes out, but I am sure that it is a problem similar to the one discussed in this thread. The binding/grinding in tight, slow turns isn't too bad yet, so I'll ride it out for a while... whenever you get your problem figured out, tell me... I would like to know the processes involved and *sigh* how much it'll cost me.....
---MIKE---
Oh yeah and one more thing.... this never happend at all to me untill I had the (non-subaru) dealer replace my brake booster, so I'm suspecting that they may be the cause of my problem, possibly in wiring or something.... but I really don't know.....

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 11:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: soleniods C.

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

I'm back, thanks.

The C solenoid fails safe, in the full rear wheel drive mode.
B solenoid fails safe in no converter lock up mode.

Didn't they have trouble with the wiring differences when they tried to fit the new solenoid pack to the old legacy box.
May be a wiring problem. No power to them will produce your problems, as the fuse won't turn it off, seems like no connection, fault in the wiring ?.
watdeyah recon ?
Harvey.

Harvey, your memory serves you correctly. They ordered a SVX solenoid array for the Legacy box. The Legacy packs are wired in series while the SVX packs are wired separately. They had to re-wire the SVX packs to fit the Legacy wiring.

Now, here's where it gets confusing. After the rebuild, they used the re-wired packs for the SVX transmission (I suppose they re-wired them). But, during my latest 30 day diagnostic ordeal, they supposedly put new solenoid packs in to test them. I don't know if they left the new ones in, or took them out and replaced them with the "rewired" ones. I'm going to call for clarification tomorrow.

I'm really getting tired of this.

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 11:27 PM

Yes, John, I meant clutches. Cut me a break, it's been a rough day.

Maybe, If I have to drive up to pick up Kat's 94, I'll swing by Jersey and have you check things out.

And, don't worry. This oil plug ISN'T budging!! :)

Aredubjay 04-24-2002 11:59 PM

Beav,
You're being awfully quiet. Do you have any insights? Do you guys take trannies apart at your shop? :D

I'm going to call to clarify the solenoid issue with the tranny shop tomorrow, and, depending upon the answers I get, I may end up in Tennesee. I can't stand this much longer.:mad: