The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   "New Posts" do=getnew (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26046)

UberRoo 05-07-2005 01:22 PM

"New Posts" do=getnew

What is the expiration time for the "New Posts" search? (/forum/search.php?do=getnew) Its definitely shorter than it used to be. It seems far too short for me, as some fairly recent posts don't show up. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible to extend the expiration time?

SubaSteevo 05-07-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberRoo
What is the expiration time for the "New Posts" search? (/forum/search.php?do=getnew) Its definitely shorter than it used to be. It seems far too short for me, as some fairly recent posts don't show up. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible to extend the expiration time?

It depends how much your online. The old way would return results for the past x amount of time, the new way returns results from the past x amount of time since you were last online.

ensteele 05-07-2005 01:37 PM

I have found that I need to click on "New Posts" before I sign off because membes can post while I am on and looking at the new posts. You have to refresh the posts to get all of them.

UberRoo 05-07-2005 01:45 PM

I suppose that makes sense. Sometimes I don't get around to scanning all the new stuff on the first pass. When I come back, it's gone.

I guess this also means that everybody sees something different, depending on when they last logged in. I'm not sure which method I prefer. Both have their strong points. I'm gonna have to mull this over. Hmmm...

ensteele 05-07-2005 01:51 PM

I hit the New Posts button, read what I want to, and then go back and hit New Posts again. You will see the ones you replied to and any new ones that were posted when you were reading the ones you did. I then read any new ones and then hit New Posts again and see if I missed anything. If not, I then go to Quick Links and choose Mark Forums Read.

Hope that helps. :) It seems to get most of them that way.

Oh, and one other thing. When I post, I use the back key to get back to the list of New Posts. That way the list will not change while I am looking at them.

shelfy 05-07-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I hit the New Posts button, read what I want to, and then go back and hit New Posts again. You will see the ones you replied to and any new ones that were posted when you were reading the ones you did. I then read any new ones and then hit New Posts again and see if I missed anything. If not, I then go to Quick Links and choose Mark Forums Read.

Hope that helps. :) It seems to get most of them that way.

Oh, and one other thing. When I post, I use the back key to get back to the list of New Posts. That way the list will not change while I am looking at them.

i do the same thing expect for marking the forums read. :)

Earthworm 05-09-2005 12:14 PM

I also do that as well as make sure I don't click on any links in the threads I read. I find if I do that the backspace trick doesn't work.

I've noticed that vBulletin seems to use a combination of cookies and session data. Cookies store your id/pw when you log off. Session data stores which posts you have read. The problem is the session data expires after approx 25 minutes. Once it expires it loses track of which posts you've read.

I've come across other forums (YaBB) that must store which threads are read in their database as it never forgets which ones I've read/unread...even if I log off. I like that much better.