The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Don't buy gas on SEPT 1! Would this work? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28168)

SSSVX 08-31-2005 02:05 AM

Don't buy gas on SEPT 1! Would this work?

I got this e-mail from a friend of mine. I just copied and pasted.

Would this work? With a premium gas just hit $3.04/gallon tonight in town.
I'm trying to forward to SVXers: :)

> IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA
> DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME,
> THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
>
> AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER
> 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
>
> THEREFORE SEPTEMBER 1st HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR
> BEHIND DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THESE TWO NATIONS SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE
> DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
>
> THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
> PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
>
> WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING
> TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE
> ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
>
> REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE
>
> SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES
>
> ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT
> IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL
> SUPPLIES ETV. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
>
> 8/29/2005
>
> WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE
> WILL DO IT
>
> AGAIN AND AGAIN.
>
> SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU
> KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 1ST A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS
> OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
>
>
>

SilverSpear 08-31-2005 02:14 AM

There is a fact i want to share with you guys concerning gas prices:
I recently knew that gas cost in Quatar (Middle East) is $4 for 20L of Premium Gas. :eek: :eek: really shocking low prices, over here it is $16 for 20L Premium.... :(
That's 4X more than the price of one of our neighboring country... :mad:

And it is good what you will do on Sept 1... and don't blame the Arabs, trust me, USA, UK and other Europeans control the Gas Prices in the Arab World.... OPEC? :confused: :rolleyes:

b3lha 08-31-2005 02:45 AM

Read this.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

In general, any email that says something like:

Quote:

FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
is junk mail. Please don't forward it to anybody.

If you want to boycott something, boycott forwarding junk mail and purchasing from companies that send junk mail.

Noir 08-31-2005 03:51 AM

i'd love to shove a shoe up the dude's butt that came up with that email.

what amazes me is that people actually believe in that crap and keeps that damn thing circulating through email. i figure people would have been exposed to the false nature of it by now.

i remember reaming this girl who's a medical malpractice lawyer and the people in her email list from the DOJ started thanking me for doing so. :p

seriously it takes a minute to find that email on google, but people with 'higher' education should know better.

how for ****s sake is boycotting gas when there's shortage going to help drive the price down? it's a shortage for crying out loud. it was announced by september 2, gas prices in atlanta's going to be over $3 due to the pumps pushing gas to atlanta being shutdown from power failures. they mentioned that gas rations may go into effect if it gets bad. yay, involuntary boycott. :rolleyes:

Bipa 08-31-2005 05:07 AM

I'm always amused/frustrated/vexed/peeved when I hear of North Americans complaining about the cost of gasoline. Try filling your tank over here :(

Thought you might find the following info interesting. Due to different organizations using different national averaging techniques, you'll find the data doesn't quite match. But prices have changed a lot in the last 5-6 months anyway, so take this as just a general picture of the trend in pricing.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29043.gif

In comparison, the US isn't too bad, eh? Here's a basic breakdown of US prices:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29044.gif
Source: Energy Information Administration, 2005

red95svx 08-31-2005 06:33 AM

These e-mails are so stupid. Even if it could work you'd NEVER be able to convince everyone to take part. I'm sorry but if I need gas, I'm buying it! I don't care what day it is. It's like telling everyone to not use electricity for a day so we can teach the electric company a lesson :rolleyes:

Dave

Mr. Pockets 08-31-2005 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipa
I'm always amused/frustrated/vexed/peeved when I hear of North Americans complaining about the cost of gasoline. Try filling your tank over here :(

Try not to be too hard on us. Please understand that, while we still don't pay as much for gas as you do, it's gone up a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Imagine what that does to an economy. The price of everything includes the cost of transporting it.

The enormous jump in gas prices over the past year hasn't hurt me or my wife too much - our commutes are under five miles, round trip. But just a couple years ago I was driving my SVX 30-45mi every day, and my wife was driving almost double that. I can imagine how loud we'd be if we were still using that much gas.

The flipside is that this situation will begin to affect Americans' car-buying choices at some point.

As for the original post, give me a break. I hate forwarded emails so much that I am tempted to delete the post. Phil was right, if it says 'pass this on to everybody you know, then that's a sure sign you should can it.

It wouldn't work anyway. People would just fill up the day before or the day after - they'd still buy just as much gas.

red95svx 08-31-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
It wouldn't work anyway. People would just fill up the day before or the day after - they'd still buy just as much gas.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Dave

mohrds 08-31-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

The enormous jump in gas prices over the past year hasn't hurt me or my wife too much - our commutes are under five miles, round trip. But just a couple years ago I was driving my SVX 30-45mi every day, and my wife was driving almost double that. I can imagine how loud we'd be if we were still using that much gas.

The flipside is that this situation will begin to affect Americans' car-buying choices at some point.

I'm hoping it has a different effect. I hope that it curbs the suburban sprawl and creates more demand for urban development. If people only commuted 5 miles a day, they'd save money. People are fleeing the city faster than the urbanites are moving in.

If you had a car that got 10 MPG and commuted 5 miles a day versus a 50 mile commute with a car that gets 40MPG, you'd still be saving money and polluting less.

I'm sick and tired of seeing on the news that some new subdivision is demanding that the local government spend money to curb their wildlife problem. If they wouldn't have built there, there wouldn't be a need to spend tax dollars on animal control.

Just my $.02

Doug

Noir 08-31-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thought you might find the following info interesting. Due to different organizations using different national averaging techniques, you'll find the data doesn't quite match. But prices have changed a lot in the last 5-6 months anyway, so take this as just a general picture of the trend in pricing.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29043.gif

In comparison, the US isn't too bad, eh? Here's a basic breakdown of US prices:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Bipa/29044.gif
Source: Energy Information Administration, 2005

;) yes my german friend, but we're quite successful in our goals of world domination. :lol: ;) :eek:

i say make iraq the 53rd state and go take iran!! :lol:

Landshark 08-31-2005 09:17 AM

oh sweet Jeebus.

every year, some brain-dead moron prints the "don't buy gas on _____" e-mail and hangs it on our bulletin board at work. :rolleyes:

Bipa 08-31-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir
;) yes my german friend, but we're quite successful in our goals of world domination. :lol: ;) :eek:

Could you please take Germany again? But this time, keep it! ;) :p :D

mohrds 08-31-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Could you please take Germany again? But this time, keep it! ;) :p :D

We never actually "had it", but I like the idea.

Make Iraq the 53rd state. That would sure send a very clear message to the area. You bother us, we take you over. You don't stay a superpower by offering police assistance.

I can see the ad campaigns now. "Visit the 54th U.S. state, North Korea, the North Dakota of the East" :D :D

Doug

Royal Tiger 08-31-2005 10:35 AM

Who is 51 and 52? And PLEASE don't say Puerto Rico. That should have been given back in 1946 if Truman wasn't such a moron. I'm hoping Pennsylvania gets the deal P.R. currently gets; social security numbers, US citizenship and no federal taxes to replace the resources they suck out of out of our economy.

mohrds 08-31-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigershark
Who is 51 and 52? And PLEASE don't say Puerto Rico. That should have been given back in 1946 if Truman wasn't such a moron. I'm hoping Pennsylvania gets the deal P.R. currently gets; social security numbers, US citizenship and no federal taxes to replace the resources they suck out of out of our economy.

We have a few choices. District of Columbia, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and probably another I can't think of.

Yeah, I'm with you on P.R. They need to kick in to the pot as do a lot of others.

Budfreak 08-31-2005 11:32 AM

premium just hit 3.29 a gal. here:eek: my tanks full and i ain't buying gas anytime soon hopefully if i can keep from driving the svx(good luck). please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.

Aredubjay 08-31-2005 11:46 AM

According to Snopes.com, here are the many "get back at the oil company" ploys: http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

What befuddles me is: A) The Big Gasoline Companies have been posting RECORD PROFITS for decades, and yet they keep jacking prices (no wonder). B) The UAE states that it's pumping a million barrels, per day, more than they need to and that supplies are plentiful. C) Katrina hit the rigs in the gulf, causing US prices to jump, yet, most of the Oil/Refined Gasoline from these operations goes to Japan or elsewhere overseas.

I just think the US companies have looked at prices across the pond and said, "Yeah -- we'd like to be getting THOSE kinds of prices." And for those who poo poo us for whining -- I'm sorry for you, BUT, one of the reasons I don't live THERE, is because of gas prices. :p :D

What really puzzles me is that the number two consumer of gasoline is Japan (well, after the country of CALIFORNIA :eek: ) http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/st...n_country.html. Sheesh! Where do they drive to? It's an Island for gosh sakes! ;) :D

Oh, and one more footnote, when you're purchasing more than 8 times the amount of product than your second largest consumer -- bulk price savings are pretty good -- not to mention, we usually buy raw crude and refine our own gasoline, where most countries purchase their gasoline already refined. That's why our prices are "a bit" lower. :D

Aredubjay 08-31-2005 12:12 PM

Quote:

;) :

Yeah, that's what I've been telling those folks who like to say, "It's all about the oil." If it were "all about the oil" we'd have already added the 51st star to the flag.

red95svx 08-31-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1
please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.

Should UPS not gas up their trucks tomorrow? How about FedEx? Oh, I know, maybe the USPS can cancel all mail deliveries tomorrow. Maybe the airlines should cancel all flights....those jets use tons of petroleum based fuel!! Heck, let's all walk to work tomorrow! THAT will teach those evil gas companies! While we're at it, let's not use any water tomorrow because we pay too much for water, and let's not use any electricity tomorrow because that is pricey also.

Dave

Mr. Pockets 08-31-2005 12:30 PM

I think that, at least in the short term, car-buying habits are more likely to change because of gas prices than are choices concerning where we live. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrds
I'm hoping it has a different effect. I hope that it curbs the suburban sprawl and creates more demand for urban development. If people only commuted 5 miles a day, they'd save money. People are fleeing the city faster than the urbanites are moving in.

If you had a car that got 10 MPG and commuted 5 miles a day versus a 50 mile commute with a car that gets 40MPG, you'd still be saving money and polluting less.

I'm sick and tired of seeing on the news that some new subdivision is demanding that the local government spend money to curb their wildlife problem. If they wouldn't have built there, there wouldn't be a need to spend tax dollars on animal control.

Just my $.02

Doug

mohrds 08-31-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

I think that, at least in the short term, car-buying habits are more likely to change because of gas prices than are choices concerning where we live. :)

You can take away a man's money, but you can't take his dreams :)

Earthworm 08-31-2005 12:52 PM

Now if everyone bought electric powered cars and moved to a location where power is generated by hydro...

...bah, what was I thinking :D

dcarrb 08-31-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

My daughter, a home health practioner who logs many miles in her work, just yesterday traded her 70,000 mile Windstar minivan for a new Neon, at an added cost of $25 per month. (She'll save that on gas inside a week.) The grandkids will just have to get used to less space.

Rumor here this afternoon is that local stations are running out of gas. Hmm... maybe I won't be buying gas tomorrow.

dcb

upnygimp 08-31-2005 03:10 PM

RWJ has it nailed. The investors on Wall Street are playing with the price trying to drive it up so they make the big bucks. Its more or less as simple as that. And why hasn't our president not done anything? He's done in 3 years so no worries about retaliation during an election, and guess where him and his buds make all the money? Yup.

Noir 08-31-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
My daughter, a home health practioner who logs many miles in her work, just yesterday traded her 70,000 mile Windstar minivan for a new Neon, at an added cost of $25 per month. (She'll save that on gas inside a week.) The grandkids will just have to get used to less space.

Rumor here this afternoon is that local stations are running out of gas. Hmm... maybe I won't be buying gas tomorrow.

dcb

i dunno about that rumor, but this is the first time i've ever seen anything like this. no rush hour traffic coming from downtown atlanta to my home. the traffic is all around the damn gas stations. this morning i drove by gas stations and the price was $2.8/gallon. now it's $3.40/gallon. a few gas stations were closed. panic's such a beautiful thing.

benebob 08-31-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1
premium just hit 3.29 a gal. here:eek: my tanks full and i ain't buying gas anytime soon hopefully if i can keep from driving the svx(good luck). please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.

Still cheaper than a gallon of milk and in PA that includes 93 cents of state and federal tax where as the milk is subsized and well doesn't have to get shipped 12000 miles. I only wish I had the nighthawk running right. Then again, I've got my stockpile of 90 gallons of gas in the driveway to last me for a while. :D

Hocrest 08-31-2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
I've got my stockpile of 90 gallons of gas in the driveway to last me for a while. :D

I know where you live and I have a hose :D :D :D

Subafreak 08-31-2005 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest

Yeah and people thought drive offs and gas stealing was bad before. :eek:

But really I think I would make more money if I just stayed home and didn't drive to work :( Sure gas prices can rise but if people don't start getting huge raises over night there is going to be a serious problem. :rolleyes:

Aredubjay 08-31-2005 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Still cheaper than a gallon of milk :D

Heck, it's cheaper than a gallon of water. When I was coming back from the last Reading meet, I stopped and picked up a quart of bottled water. 1.39. Four quarts to the gallon -- 5.56 a gallon....before sales tax...for WATER. Do the math on a gallon of Visine and you'll FREAK OUT! :D

Aredubjay 08-31-2005 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest

You just don't realize how hard it is for me not to make some smartass comment. . . oh yes you do -- I forgot you'be been around here a while. :D

NikFu S. 08-31-2005 08:07 PM

I drive less than 500 miles a month so gas prices aren't bothering me.

It's the huge lines backing up into the roads at rush hour that kinda tick me off.
My favorite station is usually around 10 cents lower than everywhere but one place, and is near work, but I don't want to park on a major road to wait 30 minutes to fill up.

So I drive ~10 miles home and figure out whether driving back at 7:30pm will save me or lose me dough compared to using the place right near my house.

Then I worry about about why I calculated my mpg to only be around ~17 on this last tank. :/

LarryIII 09-01-2005 04:43 AM

Rather, than not buying gas, I suggest that we change our buying preferences. I have 4 cars to fill up. Three are SVXes one is an Outback. So I know what my local gas prices are and where I can get the best gas prices (How do you think Earl & I became rich?).

A friend of mine just sent me this e-mail. I'm posting it below. Let's finally put our money where our mouths are.

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

We should return the favor.
An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.
Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia.
Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell............................ 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $55-$60 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
Do Not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo......................0 barrels
Sunoco...................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair.................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARC0....................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.It's really simple to do.

Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and

those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and

so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people,

we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten
friends each, then 30 million people will have been contcted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it .... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would all that take?

If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next eight days!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I say that you don't have to send out e-mails to 10-30 people. The heck with chain letters. Just switch your buying habits.

94svxred 09-01-2005 05:32 AM

Sent and done ARCO here I come :D :D ! Thanks Larry ;)

Mr. Pockets 09-01-2005 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII
A friend of mine just sent me this e-mail. I'm posting it below. Let's finally put our money where our mouths are.

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS

Did you SEND IT TO EVERYBODY YOU KNOW!!!???

Larry, come on. The Snopes lesson was taught on the first page of this thread.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp

That email's been around for a long time, so the Snopes article doesn't include Arco. Those forwards mutate over time.

94svxred 09-01-2005 06:29 AM

Quote:

That email's been around for a long time, so the Snopes article doesn't include Arco. Those forwards mutate over time.

OK ! Where do we should we be buying our gas in America? :rolleyes:

94svxred 09-01-2005 06:33 AM

Heck I guess I better start walking more!! :eek: :D :D ;)

Mr. Pockets 09-01-2005 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94svxred
OK ! Where do we should we be buying our gas in America? :rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes at me for presenting facts.

I am not going to tell you where to buy your gas. I would suggest that you buy less of it in the first place, if possible, but I'm not going to tell you where to buy it.

Send that to EVERYBODY YOU KNOW!!!

:rolleyes:

94svxred 09-01-2005 06:45 AM

Quote:

Don't roll your eyes at me for presenting facts.

I am not going to tell you where to buy your gas. I would suggest that you buy less of it in the first place, if possible, but I'm not going to tell you where to buy it.

Send that to EVERYBODY YOU KNOW!!!

:rolleyes:

I didn't mean to ROLL my eyes at you! ;) My Issue is that my daily driver is an Escalade :eek: , My SVX sits nicely under wraps in the garage!! :D :D I have 2 kids and NO don't tell me to buy a MINI-VAN :eek: !I'm just not real happy with anything going on in the middle east right now , if you know what I mean! I can't and wont tell you what I would like to do there! :eek: :mad: !

Noir 09-01-2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

not only will i SEND IT TO EVERYBODY I KNOW, I will SEND IT TO EVERYBODY I KNOW 10X. :p

clean up yer mailbox nickolai, it's on da way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

on another note, it's funny reading that people loot because they are black. :p

benebob 09-01-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

:on another note, it's funny reading that people loot because they are black. :p

What you didn't know that already :rolleyes: ? Come on Noir haven't you been watching the TV all you life! :rolleyes: