The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Improved MPG Checklist Thread (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46689)

Subix 10-22-2008 02:34 AM

Improved MPG Checklist Thread

After seeing all the threads on how to increase gas mileage or what everyone gets, I wanted to create this thread in hopes it may benefit some with increasing MPG, even if it's only 1-2mpg.

Many are common sense I would think but feel free to amend/modify the checklist as you see fit as a community effort:

■ New Spark Plugs
■ New Oxygen Sensors
■ Matching and properly inflated tires
■ Clean or Replace PCV valve
■ Change oil & filter every 3,000 miles
■ Check coolant fluids
■ Clean Fuel Injectors
■ Replace Air Filter
■ Replace Fuel Filter
■ Fuel Pressure Check
■ Use only Premium 91+ Gasoline

Well, there has to be more that can be added to the list but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Add away...
:)

SomethingElse 10-22-2008 02:48 AM

Re: Improved MPG Checklist Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 569813)

■ New Spark Plugs
■ New Oxygen Sensors
■ Check coolant fluids
■ Clean Fuel Injectors
■ Replace Air Filter
■ Replace Fuel Filter
■ Fuel Pressure Check
■ CHECK FOR STICKING CALIPERS
■ CLEAN THROTTLE/INTAKE SYSTEM
■ CHECK FOR VACUUM LEAKS
■ KEEP GAS PEDAL OFF OF FLOOR
■ DOWNSHIFT TOWARDS RED LIGHTS
■ FOLLOW SPEED LIMIT, ANYTHING OVER 65 IS BAD FOR MPG

Its to early I think of other stuff later

SSSVX 10-22-2008 03:01 AM

how would coolant fluid relate to mpg??

driving habit/the way you drive is one of the key factors in my opinion.

JaySVX 10-22-2008 05:44 AM

If it's gunky, it might offer a tiny bit more resistance to the water pump?

How about simple stuff?
Properly inflated tires
Wash/Wax
Windshield wipers in Summer mode

Manarius 10-22-2008 06:22 AM

I have to say, having tested this for myself, I disagree with the "Use 91+" comment. I've used all three grades (87-89-91) with no mpg change and so have other people on this board.

Add this: Replace roaring wheel bearings

svx_commuter 10-22-2008 07:03 AM

■ New Spark Plugs
■ New Oxygen Sensors
■ Check coolant fluids
■ Clean Fuel Injectors
■ Replace Air Filter
■ Replace Fuel Filter
■ Fuel Pressure Check
■ With an A/T keep the tach between 2200 and 3000 rpm when driving below 45mph.
The A/T torque converter is more efficient in this range.
■ Keep the engine running when stopped for a few minutes
otherwise the ECU goes back into open loop mode.
■ Drive down hill using the trans for braking to warm-up the engine and trans.
■ Change the o-ring on the fuel injectors. On the old engines they are hard and leak.
■ Drive with the TC lock-ed up at 45mph to get the best MPG.

The torque converter is not very effecient until it gets to 2300 rpm. Try driving in 1st or 2nd when the speed is low to keep the tach up.

I have been watching the O2 and I need someone else to check this. I see it going back into open loop every time the engine is shut off. This is even after the engine is warmed up. Open loop uses more gas.

Driving down a hill in 3rd or 2nd helps to warm up the engine and A/T and does not use gas. This is a much more efficent way to warm-up the SVX.

The o-rings on the fuel injectors are old and stiff and do not seal well. Gas can leak around the injector body. Ah this is just a theory right now. I have the o-rings but have not pulled the old ones out yet. On a hot day the O2 was reading very rich. These o-rings get a lot of heat from the engine and I think will only last more than four years. Gosh I hope they are Viton.

Peace,

John

LetItSnow 10-22-2008 08:46 AM

All: Altering your driving style drastically to increase 1-2 mpg is bordering on ridiculous, unless your brother is a tree.

I will not alter my driving speeds for fuel economy.
I will not imagine an egg involved with my gas pedal.

If shattering one's driving experience takes precedence over fuel economy, one is driving the wrong car.

dcarrb 10-22-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 569838)
All: Altering your driving style drastically to increase 1-2 mpg is bordering on ridiculous, unless your brother is a tree.

I agree... sort-of. All this business about keeping the tach between this and that at one speed or another is really pointless, unless you're shooting for hyper-mileage in a manual transmission econo-box.

Keep your SVX in overall good shape and don't habitually hammer the gas from a stop; those are the best measures for overall fuel economy and longevity.

dcb

svxxx26 10-22-2008 10:21 AM

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 569838)

I will not alter my driving speeds for fuel economy.
I will not imagine an egg involved with my gas pedal.

If shattering one's driving experience takes precedence over fuel economy, one is driving the wrong car.

In the real world it's what works. If fuel economy is not your priority then by all means hammer down!
I used to share your outlook, but it's amazing what that extra 1-2 mpg does for the driving experience. It's not a drastic alteration either, it's mostly just a concious effort to stay below 65 whan cruising and not treating each stoplight like a dragstrip christmas tree. :lol:

RojoRocket 10-22-2008 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=svx_commuter;569831■ Change the o-ring on the fuel injectors. On the old engines they are hard and leak.

The o-rings on the fuel injectors are old and stiff and do not seal well. Gas can leak around the injector body. Ah this is just a theory right now. I have the o-rings but have not pulled the old ones out yet. On a hot day the O2 was reading very rich. These o-rings get a lot of heat from the engine and I think will only last more than four years. Gosh I hope they are Viton.
Peace,

John[/QUOTE]

John,
I think that's an excellent theory. I'd be very interested in hearing the results. If the o-rings are an OEM item could you share the part no's or size spec with us?

Glenn

LetItSnow 10-22-2008 11:14 AM

Nobody ever mentions alterations to the driver! Hit the treadmill and put down the donut!

Srsly, though... 100 miles at 27mpg vs. 100 miles at 26mpg at $4/gallon (which is becoming history in states I've been in lately) is $0.56.

Consider: What is the priority on fuel economy? Bang-for-the-buck at the pump? Ecology? Distance per full tank?

In my example above, 1mpg = $40ish at 7,000 miles per year. That's not much, and can be considered cheaper than a fuel filter, an oxygen sensor, ...

As for the ecosystem, you're not going to dent it.

1mpg on your fuel tank's range will get you 16 miles if you ride the sediment, but your fuel filter will hate you for it.

All told, I think the best thing you can do for fuel economy is make sure your car isn't running like total and utter crap.

...or buy a different car.

dcarrb 10-22-2008 11:28 AM

I get high 20s on the highway and a consistent, overall average of 21 in mixed driving, trying not to be too hard on the old gals in consideration of their age but otherwise making no particular effort to save fuel. You might do worse, but I guarantee you won't do much better in a stock SVX, no matter what speed you run or tricks you try.

dcb

svxxx26 10-22-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 569862)
Nobody ever mentions alterations to the driver! Hit the treadmill and put down the donut!

Srsly, though... 100 miles at 27mpg vs. 100 miles at 26mpg at $4/gallon (which is becoming history in states I've been in lately) is $0.56.

Consider: What is the priority on fuel economy? Bang-for-the-buck at the pump? Ecology? Distance per full tank?

In my example above, 1mpg = $40ish at 7,000 miles per year. That's not much, and can be considered cheaper than a fuel filter, an oxygen sensor, ...

As for the ecosystem, you're not going to dent it.

1mpg on your fuel tank's range will get you 16 miles if you ride the sediment, but your fuel filter will hate you for it.

All told, I think the best thing you can do for fuel economy is make sure your car isn't running like total and utter crap.

...or buy a different car.

I hear you. I wouldn't argue any of those points. At one point at the time of $4.50/gallon for premium, I considered moving down to lower grades - but when you really look at it, the savings aren't enough to bother.
One thing that did surprise me in a good way was at 65, you find yourself relaxing. The rest of the world is blasting by trying to get to their destinations in as little time as possible, risking life and limb and their cars. I dunno, if I was 25 I'd probably be right with them. Now I'm seeing the rat race for what it is. :lol: And...it is kind of fun to see how much I can get out of a gallon. Not only that, but I figure the lower speeds put less stress on the car too. :rolleyes:

Subix 10-22-2008 07:13 PM

Well.... maybe I should have used a different thread title, such as "Things to keeping your SVX running optimally smooth". This wasn't exactly to rant about mpg being that terrible exactly (granted, it's not going to be all that great anyways), only addressing things that could adversely affect it, even at most minimal. Not driving like grandma. :)

Besides, we all know waxing your car increases MPG by at least 3 a'gallon! :rolleyes: :)

svx_commuter 10-23-2008 05:27 AM

Yeah driving at the speed limit or lower is much less stressful. Think about how much gas is wasted with everyone in a rush. Then again there are those instances when the road is clear and the SVX throttle goes to the floor, power light comes on and yup that is a lot of fun. :D Entrance ramps are a pretty safe bet too.

Peace,
John