The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cruise Control surging (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29401)

alia176 11-04-2005 03:07 PM

Cruise Control surging

My search didn't reveal anything so here goes.

For a long time I had no cruise control. I didn't find anything obvious, including the vacuum hose at the actuator. The cruise light woudn't stay lit unless I hit it about 3 times or so but the CC wouldn't activate after toggling SET.

On a recent road trip, I was bored and started to play with the CC again. After a few times, the Cruise light stayed lit and I pushed the SET. Whoa, :eek: she's BACK! I have cruise control once again :confused:

After driving for a while with the CC set, it felt like the vehicle was surging ever so slightly. I didn't see the RPM or MPH fluctuate wildly or anything but it "felt" like it was surging.

Has anyone experienced the surging? Also, any idea as to why my CC is back? Even today I have to press the CC button multiple times in order to stay engaged.

Thanks for any input.

Ali
'92 LSL
105k miles

AFBeefcake 11-04-2005 03:23 PM

I got the surging from the cruise control, but me cruise light comes on ever time I turn it on. I have not had the time to check all of the lines and connections yet.

mbtoloczko 11-04-2005 03:49 PM

Ever since my 5-speed swap was done, I also have the very slight surging with the cruise control. Makes me seasick! I suspect its one of the vacuum lines.

spinn360 11-04-2005 04:12 PM

did you check to see if the cruise control cable thats right next to the gas cable is snug and isnt loose cuz if theres slack it might take a while to get the cruise to work, but I dont really know about surging.

Earthworm 11-04-2005 04:28 PM

I've had the surging with the 4EAT and the 5MT. Several people have noticed this.

As for the button...the more you use it the better it gets. :)

mbtoloczko 11-04-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinn360
did you check to see if the cruise control cable thats right next to the gas cable is snug and isnt loose cuz if theres slack it might take a while to get the cruise to work, but I dont really know about surging.

Not a loose cruise control cable in my case.

Seraph 11-04-2005 05:03 PM

Torq converter?

AFBeefcake 11-04-2005 05:09 PM

In my case I don't think its the torq converter. because if I hold the gas steady there is no surging. So I think its some thing in the cruise control.

mbtoloczko 11-04-2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraph
Torq converter?

No torque converter in the 5-speed cars. :-))

pipedream 11-04-2005 06:34 PM

i think this could just be a "feature" of our cruise control in the SVX. Mine does the same thing. Very subtle surging, but don't really notice the Tach waver.

alia176 11-08-2005 05:13 AM

:eek: seems to be somewhat of an universal thing! I won't worry about it too much then. I'm just happy that it's back, kinda like lost friend! I'll check the cable adjustment just to make sure.

Thanks for the input.

Ali

Manarius 11-08-2005 07:25 PM

My Legacy does the same thing. It surges to keep the car at constant speed. I think it's more of a matter of how the vacuum works and how the sensors detect it. Maybe it gets better over time...

(My CC light works..but the underglo for it doesn't)

mbtoloczko 11-09-2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
.... I think it's more of a matter of how the vacuum works and how the sensors detect it. Maybe it gets better over time...

(My CC light works..but the underglo for it doesn't)

My car didn't do it before the 5-speed swap, so I don't think it was meant to surge. I think there is definitely a problem somewhere in the mechanism or the vacuum line. I should probably take some time and figure it out because I really enjoy being able to use the cruise control on long trips.

rufus 11-09-2005 09:18 AM

Mine surges too. Always has. I think it's the anti-matter pulse drive kicking in.

dcarrb 11-09-2005 09:30 AM

My cruise is rock solid, but I sometimes get a barely noticable surging sensation (cruise off) between 40-60 MPH. No tach fluctuation, gear searching, TC locking/unlocking nor out-of-balance issues; just a seat-of-the-pants sort of gentle oscillation. With or without cruise, I wonder if it's just a ECU/intake/fuel delivery quirk.

dcb