The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Exhaust pipes corrosion - preventable! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22717)

alia176 11-17-2004 12:59 PM

Exhaust pipes corrosion - preventable!

Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up. The front two exhaust pipes (coming from the exh manifold) are encased in metal shells. In my case, one of them was trapping moisture and the sufrace of the pipe is now allowing air to escape. Interestingly enough, the other pipe was missing this shell (presumably, the PO removed it?) and the pipe is in great shape! by metal shells, I'm not referring to the ones that encase the cat converters but the pipes only. I removed this shell and patched up the pipes temporarily until I make it to the exhaust place.

This is prolly prevalent in the Midwest and Eastern part of USA.

Ali
'92

SVXRide 11-17-2004 01:31 PM

Not a bad idea, as long as you never park on a pile of leaves after a long drive....
-Bill

SVXer95 11-17-2004 01:35 PM

My manifolds have no heat shields and are rusty as all hell. They have been gone since the beginning of my ownership. They are cast iron. They rust no matter what you do. Even cars in better climates probably have rust in this area. Bare metal will rust in air. No salt is required.

SVXer95 11-17-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Not a bad idea, as long as you never park on a pile of leaves after a long drive....
-Bill

I frequent a Porsche forum where someone did this and their car burned to the ground.

SVXRide 11-17-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
I frequent a Porsche forum where someone did this and their car burned to the ground.
Collin,
My point exactly...
-Bill
p.s. I'm wondering if the other pipe on Ali's car has actually been replaced somewhere along the way...

SVXer95 11-17-2004 02:07 PM

I definitely plan on buying a fire extinguisher somewhere along the line. They were out in the middle of nowhere and could do nothing except watch it burn. Very sad.

I'm with you on the replacement at one time or another.

alia176 11-17-2004 02:46 PM

The other pipe is OEM as far as I can tell. It seems that the bracket for the shell attachment is busted up and such. I did find some material, presumably for anti vibes, under the shell. This was the primary cause of moisture entrapment.

On another note, I found lots of water in a couple of wires and hoses that are protected by an outer protector. The wire for the Steering rack is a prime example. This protector is good at trapping water from engine bay washings, etc.. When I removed the rack from the car, some water came out of this protector! FYI.

Ali

Them Porche's are very flammable it seems! :eek:

Speaking of parking on bunch of leaves...I suppose lowering the cars don't help matters any either ;)

Good day gents,

Ali

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide

Collin,
My point exactly...
-Bill
p.s. I'm wondering if the other pipe on Ali's car has actually been replaced somewhere along the way...

SVXer95 11-17-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alia176

I suppose lowering the cars don't help matters any either ;)

....or cars where the exhaust manifolds come out directly underneath the engine.

Earthworm 11-17-2004 06:20 PM

I have no heat shields covering my front cats AND my car is lowered.

No unwanted combustion as of yet :)

TomsSVX 11-17-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I have no heat shields covering my front cats AND my car is lowered.

No unwanted combustion as of yet :)

what about your exhaust manifolds? do they have sheilds? i would imagine that these would sustain more heat that the cats

Earthworm 11-18-2004 11:59 AM

Those are still shielded but I don't think the temperature will be much different between those and the cats.