The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58715)

James Scott 11-18-2011 04:32 PM

"DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ???

NOW my SVX battery is "dying" after being parked for a few hours (or sometimes for a few minutes!) .. very intermittently.. BUT, very disturbingly! :eek:

Two times yesterday.. and three times this week.. I had to be jumped (battery) to start my car.. after parking! When trying to start then.. wunt turn the engine at all enough.. lights dim.. LIKE A DEAD BATTERY.

BUT.. right after the second time yesterday.. I took my car directly to Pep Boys (after battery jumped 5 minutes earlier) 2 miles away.. They said AGAIN (3 times in 4-6 months now).. that BATTERY IS OK!!! :confused: ???

BTW, I have a $180 Interstate battery.

SO.. what cud cause this? .. Something while parked.. like brake lights (not on, tho).. that would involve a circuit that would be ON while parked .. with ignition key OFF! Maybe alarm?

Is there any other part to the start circuit (I replaced alternator, starter very recently) that cud malfunction when starting (a relay?).. ?? which would not be explained .. or require a dead battery??? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks, Jim :D

Chuckls 11-18-2011 04:58 PM

Re: "DeAd" battery.. intermittent.. ???

Look at the alternator wiring..Corroded?

James Scott 11-18-2011 06:55 PM

I did the 4GA Mod for Alternator + wire a long time ago. There are some other wires coming off the same terminal on the alternator that are hidden in a strange long plastic sheath... Is that what you mean? .. Those wires? :confused:

svxcess 11-18-2011 08:01 PM

Look at this thread

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ight=parasitic

I posted links on how to check for a Parasitic Drain

Conn SVX 11-18-2011 08:45 PM

I once had my rear wiper get stuck trying to park itself and it drained the battery. also the rear window defogger switch .
Have u used either in the past 3 weeks ?

Green1995SVX 11-18-2011 09:23 PM

This is completely off-topic, but why is the A in "DeAd battery" capitalized? I've noticed that you do that a lot. I just wondered if there was a specific reason. :)

david_12121 11-19-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 691294)
NOW my SVX battery is "dying" after being parked for a few hours (or sometimes for a few minutes!) .. very intermittently.. BUT, very disturbingly! :eek:
Thanks, Jim :D

happened to me about a month ago...after a full inspection:eek: i noticed that the mirror heaters were on!:mad:
make sure that everything is off and check if the ground wire from the battery gets hot or not!(for short circuiting)

Hocrest 11-19-2011 11:37 PM

I've seen batteries where the post is broken inside the case. Normally they make contact and all is fine, then they don't and it seems like a dead battery. When you put the clamp on, it moves the post and all is fine again.

It's an oddball thing but it has happened...

James Scott 11-22-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 691318)
This is completely off-topic, but why is the A in "DeAd battery" capitalized? I've noticed that you do that a lot. I just wondered if there was a specific reason. :)

1) The same reason I answer, " Groovy" .. when people ask me how I am? :cool:

2) I'm different. :p

3) Better than BOLD. :)

4) Personalized ToUcH! :D

5) Retarded. :lol:

6) Hmmm? :confused:

James Scott 11-22-2011 05:11 PM

How does an alarm fit in here? Doesn't an alarm draw all the time (when car off even, alarm ON)? :confused:

Conn SVX 11-22-2011 07:19 PM

Not enough to kill a battery in 2 or 3 weeks

1986nate 11-22-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 691535)
Not enough to kill a battery in 2 or 3 weeks

The stock alarm can kill the battery enough to not allow it to start in as little as 2 weeks. I've seen it happen on a fresh and good quality battery.

david_12121 11-22-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 691545)
The stock alarm can kill the battery enough to not allow it to start in as little as 2 weeks. I've seen it happen on a fresh and good quality battery.

you mean 2 weeks for the alarm going off all the time? cuz my car had been sitting for more than 2 years before i bought it and the battery was sooo alive! (was locked by the alarm)

1986nate 11-23-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_12121 (Post 691551)
you mean 2 weeks for the alarm going off all the time? cuz my car had been sitting for more than 2 years before i bought it and the battery was sooo alive! (was locked by the alarm)

No, I have seen it happen. With no other faults or draws. It can happen.

I would also question any car sitting for 2 years and the battery still being able to start the car without a jump.

david_12121 11-23-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 691557)
No, I have seen it happen. With no other faults or draws. It can happen.

I would also question any car sitting for 2 years and the battery still being able to start the car without a jump.

the smog date was from 2 years ago and the the mileage was 20 more than the one on the smog paper...chances are that the seller jumped it:D
but a battery being able to work properly after being decharged for 2 years is weird:D

but still 2 weeks is not realistic for my experiences! just sayin