The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AT ...or not? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27837)

James Scott 08-11-2005 06:35 PM

AT ...or not?

Should I plan to rebuild AT while performing head gasket service on engine (to be removed)....or just wait til tranny problems show up? I've heard in the past that our Nissan AT's like to need a rebuild @ about 120,000 miles...? My SVX has 111,000 miles! The only problem I've had with my AT is a slow (sloppy!) shift from 2nd to 3rd...BEFORE I installed a Smallcar.com Shift Kit! :confused:

THANKS for any help! :D

thundering02 08-11-2005 07:31 PM

I prefer the Idea of a manual swap over the cost of rebuilding the auto.

b3lha 08-12-2005 02:13 AM

AT rebuild is expensive and doesn't require the removal of the engine. You're not going to save anything by doing it now. Might as well wait until it does start giving problems.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

James Scott 08-12-2005 02:27 AM

MANUAL vs AUTO

How much is a manual swap? Is it a clean result....Or does it entail "custom" alterations that appear homespun? How much more HP ....or zip? :confused:

Thanks! .....for your opinions! :D

P.S. Is there anything to doing an AT rebuild that could beef up.... or even improve performance of the AT? :cool:

dcarrb 08-12-2005 06:17 AM

I agree that you might as well leave the transmission alone if it's behaving. As to switching to a manual, it's one of those things on which you can spend very little or quite alot, and the result, both aesthetic and mechanical, would depend upon the skill of the person(s) doing the work.

As to "how much more HP?" Zero.

dcb

red95svx 08-12-2005 06:41 AM

If it ain't broke........don't fix it. My tranny has 165,000 and is doing fine. There are others with high mileage also. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or you're planning a very long road trip I wouldn't spend any money on it right now. I personally won't touch my tranny until I lose a gear....or two:)

Dave

oab_au 08-13-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott
Should I plan to rebuild AT while performing head gasket service on engine (to be removed)....or just wait til tranny problems show up? I've heard in the past that our Nissan AT's like to need a rebuild @ about 120,000 miles...? My SVX has 111,000 miles! The only problem I've had with my AT is a slow (sloppy!) shift from 2nd to 3rd...BEFORE I installed a Smallcar.com Shift Kit! :confused:

THANKS for any help! :D

With a "sloppy shift 2nd to 3rd". I think you could do a band adjustment. The shift kit is just covering the problem.

Harvey. ;)

freak customs 08-13-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott
How much is a manual swap? Is it a clean result....Or does it entail "custom" alterations that appear homespun? How much more HP ....or zip? :confused:

Thanks! .....for your opinions! :D

P.S. Is there anything to doing an AT rebuild that could beef up.... or even improve performance of the AT? :cool:

you won't gain any hp from converting it, however most people love the feel of the svx as a manual. as far as "beefing" up the auto., i went with a rebuild kit from level 10 and it feels great. costwise it would be about the same to rebuild the auto as opposed to a manual swap so it's mostly up to the owner and whether or not you can find someone to do it (i couldn't :mad: )

James Scott 08-14-2005 06:02 AM

REBUILD AT....OR SWAP to 5-Speed?

How much would this cost?

Conn SVX 08-14-2005 08:11 AM

Click on How_To at the top of the page. As I remember someone said around $1,200 .

Earthworm 08-17-2005 11:45 AM

There is no exact cost for a 5 spd conversion. It depends on the cost of the parts and the cost of the labor. It cost me about USD$1800 for all the required parts from a 2002 WRX to do my conversion and we did all the work.

You can find older trannies for under $1000. Labor will probably be around $1000 if you can't do it yourself.

As for the feeling of driving a MT SVX it doesn't compare. I had a ride with our admin Chris in his 4eat SVX which he drag races and the launch doesn't even come close to that of my 5MT.

I took a couple other owners for a ride in my SVX and now they want to convert theirs as well :D

James Scott 08-17-2005 08:21 PM

5 what?

OH... Great!
Now I have something else to lust after! ;)

THANKS! :D

thundering02 08-17-2005 11:56 PM

Yay I corrupted someone again :D :D :D

Earthworm 08-18-2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundering02
Yay I corrupted someone again :D :D :D

Oh sure...I do all the work and you take all the credit! :p :D